[REMOVE ADS]

Destruction's Supremes/Motown Village Discussion

I posted this in another thread.....Here's the conversation starter for this thread. Please read it before posting here.

").....I'll start a thread, in the Motown forum, asking all Supremes/Motown posters to chime in with their own suggestions on what can be done to clean up this issue. Also i would hope they would use this thread to clarify their own positions and that they would add whatever relevant bits of information they feel might help us out of this morass.

Ralph, with your permission and assistance, I'd like to moderate this thread. I want people to speak candidly....but without obvious PERSONAL attacks and to tone down the venom. Speak in a way that lets the rest of us know, why you enjoy posting here. What you like to contribute.....what you like to walk away with. And please be open to follow up questions regarding whatever you choose to post. I'll do my best to keep it civil, interesting and informative.

I'm all ears.......

I'd like to see a dedicated thread about new releases, i.e. when Hip-o, etc. announces releases on the Motown artists with updates as the official release dates are announced.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I'd like to see a dedicated thread about new releases, i.e. when Hip-o, etc. announces releases on the Motown artists with updates as the official release dates are announced.
    An interesting idea.....However, each individual release may warrant its own thread. If they were all listed in a super thead, things might get confusing.

I understand that SDF is not solely dedicated to this topic.....but do you feel that the info regarding these releases is "lacking" here on SDF.....compared to similar forums?

Handle it, Des.

Hi Ralph,

Good point and question. I should have explained myself better.

The main reason I come here is to find out about new releases. I'm a fan of the Supremes and find this site is the best source to find out about them but then the Supreme-threads tend to turn south so I try to find relevant information and skip the rest but would love not to have to wade through the b.s.

But your suggestion about separate threads sounds like a better approach.

But for now, I'll wade in and look for the information I need.

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    I posted this in another thread.....Here's the conversation starter for this thread. Please read it before posting here.

").....I'll start a thread, in the Motown forum, asking all Supremes/Motown posters to chime in with their own suggestions on what can be done to clean up this issue. Also i would hope they would use this thread to clarify their own positions and that they would add whatever relevant bits of information they feel might help us out of this morass.

Ralph, with your permission and assistance, I'd like to moderate this thread. I want people to speak candidly....but without obvious PERSONAL attacks and to tone down the venom. Speak in a way that lets the rest of us know, why you enjoy posting here. What you like to contribute.....what you like to walk away with. And please be open to follow up questions regarding whatever you choose to post. I'll do my best to keep it civil, interesting and informative.

I'm all ears.......
    My suggestions would be the following.

1) Remind everyone that civility costs nothing.
    2) If you don't like a former Supreme don't publicly trash them.
    3) Stop all personal attacks.
    4) Encourage people like BayouMotownMan to share more of his insightful and interesting knowledge of the Supremes.
    5) If you don't like someone, put them on ignore.

Thanks!

Roberta

Thank you for that compliment Roberta.

For me, I like SDF to find out about planned releases, concerts and I especially enjoy people who share their experiences when meeting the people whom we admire so much. Some of those people used to post here, but they too tired of the backbiting and attempted character assasinations of other members or artists they didn't like.

That's the thing I don't like about SDF. The attacks without credible information, strictly based on fandom and obsession, and especially the profanity. One thing about Motown music was that it was classy. You never heard f**k or S**t in the music. So why can't we discuss in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

For me, I like SDF to find out about planned releases, concerts and I especially enjoy people who share their experiences when meeting the people whom we admire so much. Some of those people used to post here, but they too tired of the backbiting and attempted character assasinations of other members or artists they didn't like.

That's the thing I don't like about SDF. The attacks without credible information, strictly based on fandom and obsession, and especially the profanity. One thing about Motown music was that it was classy. You never heard f**k or S**t in the music. So why can't we discuss in kind.
    You are very welcome BayouMotownMan. I really do enjoy your postings and find them very informative and educational.

Best,

Roberta

Well maybe some good will come out of all of this. I hope so. I have grown extremely tired of the problems related to the Supremes thread genre.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    Hi Ralph,

But for now, I'll wade in and look for the information I need.
    If you're checking Daily\regularly then you can click the New Posts link, above right, to see the most recent posts in browse fashion.

Otherwise, SDF has a handy Search bar, above left, that shld serve you well if you haven't been here for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    My suggestions would be the following.

1) Remind everyone that civility costs nothing.
    2) If you don't like a former Supreme don't publicly trash them.
    3) Stop all personal attacks.
    4) Encourage people like BayouMotownMan to share more of his insightful and interesting knowledge of the Supremes.
    5) If you don't like someone, put them on ignore.

Thanks!

Roberta
    1. Not only does it costs nothing......it pays.....with more of what you're looking for.
    2. Which doesn't mean you have to say all good and positive things.......but don't trash someone or someone else's opinion.
    3. Nuff said.
    4. Once the air is clear, hopefully that will be encouragement enough......and it was very nice of you to "hat tip" a poster.
    5. Or not.....just remember points 1 and 3......and everything you learned from Grandma's Hands.

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    1. Not only does it costs nothing......it pays.....with more of what you're looking for.
    2. Which doesn't mean you have to say all good and positive things.......but don't trash someone or someone else's opinion.
    3. Nuff said.
    4. Once the air is clear, hopefully that will be encouragement enough......and it was very nice of you to "hat tip" a poster.
    5. Or not.....just remember points 1 and 3......and everything you learned from Grandma's Hands.
    I agree with you 120% destruction especially everything we learned from Grandma. LOL

Roberta

BayouMotownMan,

Sometimes people use cuss words for reasons other than to bash or curse people out. I'm pretty anti-censorship, but understand how it offends others.

If the bylaws forbid it than it should be verboten.......otherwise, maybe you cld compromise if it were kept to a bare minimum and not used in negative ways.

I'm with you 100 percent on the attacks without credible info...... I'd like to hear what others think.

Let me also add.....if someone would like to make a private remark, pls don't hesitate to email me or PM me here.

I PROMISE you confidentiality and privacy.....and stand on my Prior record of doing that.

email addy.....written to protect from spam: nel son st 1988 @ gmail. com

simply remove the spaces.

Unfortunately, simple manners is the only solution. To not talk about The Supremes, or cast them aside
    to another part of the site wouldn't help. I think people expect more on other topics, but they have to realize
    that the group was by far our favorite label's most popular. It would be like going on a site dedicated to the
    British Invasion, but you don't like The Beatles. If a poster starts a different topic, we are likely to follow.
    Ralph's control over banning seems to help some. It's such a tough spot that we all seem to have found ourselves
    in at one time or another. Some things get taken the wrong way and then get out of hand. Roberta said it
    best---to not bash any members of any group. Another tough area is the politcal threads. Maybe we should
    just leave it to the music.

I think you should encourage everyone to share more of their insightful and interesting knowledge of the Supremes not any one single person as there is no such thing as a "Motown Scholar". I like to hear from everyone.

I like to see less threads involving Supremes childrens careers, birthday parties or pets. To me those have nothing to do with Motown the music or the artists.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like to see less threads involving Supremes childrens careers, birthday parties or pets. To me those have nothing to do with Motown the music or the artists.
    I agree. Those do however don't get as heated, but are largely irrelevent. Maybe it would be ok if those were in the Clubhouse, rather than the Motown section.

Quote Originally Posted by ajk93 View Post
    I agree. Those do however don't get as heated, but are largely irrelevent. Maybe it would be ok if those were in the Clubhouse, rather than the Motown section.
    They should definitely be in the clubhouse or somewhere else.

Smooch, Roberta! I feel the same way. Having manners, as Berry Gordy and Maxine Powell said, "Manners will take you places money cannot."

Rick--you are much admired here, especially by me. I love reading what you post.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Smooch, Roberta! I feel the same way. Having manners, as Berry Gordy and Maxine Powell said, "Manners will take you places money cannot."

Rick--you are much admired here, especially by me. I love reading what you post.
    Bless you BobC. Like you I love to read Rick/BayouMotownMan's unbiased and very informative postings. He is treasured by many in this forum.

Yes, let us all post in a respectful and mannerly fashion.

Roberta

atcsm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

I agree with Roberta - Rick's postings are very much appreciated by all.

I think Rick hit the nail on the head with the words " but they too tired of the backbiting and attempted character assassinations of other members or artists they didn't like."

That's all that is wrong with SD; it's informative, lots of fun, with lots of good people.

But it has suffered and lost credibility and people as a result of the attempted character assassinations.

If that stopped for a consistent period of time, the forum would grow more and attract some of the knowledgeable people it has lost.

John Lester, Motown Fan, and Kamasu.........come back and speak up.