[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: O'jays

O'jays

Early cut from the dudes from Canton,Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1G2QK_3EU
    Is this on a 45?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, it was released as a 45 as Imperial 66011. It was also on their first Imperial LP.

Someone told me the artist might be H.B.Barnum.

Views: 484
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Someone told me the artist might be H.B.Barnum.
    H.B. was The O'Jays producer, on his own, local L.A. labels and while they were with Imperial. But he didn't sing on that record. That lead was one of The O'Jays [[other than Eddie Levert).

Robb, Imperial 66011 is credited to H.B.Barnum - with the uncredited O'Jays on background vocals.

"Rented Tuxedo" is not on their Imperial album - it was only issued as a single and didn't get reissued until the O'Jays "Working On Your Case" album [[UK Stateside, 1985)

Views: 420
    Quote Originally Posted by davie gordon2 View Post
    Robb, Imperial 66011 is credited to H.B.Barnum - with the uncredited O'Jays on background vocals.

"Rented Tuxedo" is not on their Imperial album - it was only issued as a single and didn't get reissued until the O'Jays "Working On Your Case" album [[UK Stateside, 1985)
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to stop going by my faulty memory. Was H.B.'s name the only name listed on that 45?

Here's a scan of the B-side
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Views: 422
    Quote Originally Posted by davie gordon2 View Post
    Here's a scan of the B-side
    Of course, I have that. I just forgot that that title was on the record. I was sure I heard that song by The O'Jays, and it was also issued on Imperial. For some reason, that record wasn't among my Imperials. But, I also get confused in my memory, which early '60s songs were sung by H.B, and his other artists on his small L.A. labels[[Little Star, Ray Star, Polo, Good sound, H-III, Mun Rob,and Mark-Fi) , and those he had the O'Jays record with Imperial. For example, "Dotted Line" and "You Crack Me Up", both sung by The O'Jays early during their Imperial stay, were released on Polo, by Jimmy Norman, H.B., himself also had releases on some of the songs he gave The O'Jays.

I have to learn to go look things up before talking off the top of my head. After so many of these mistakes, you'd think I would learn that lesson. But, I don't think I have the time to go research every time I want to comment on a thread. Still, if I don't do that I should ALWAYS couch my comments in "I believe" or "I THINK I read this", or "I think I remember this".

The worst part of getting old is thinking you are saying one thing when another thing comes out of your mouth. The same thing also happens in writing.

Good thing Davie is here to undo the damage my "false facts" could do in misleading future readers, as statements printed on The Internet can be multiplied thousands or millions of times, and become thought of as the correct information, based on being quoted in the most sources.

Hi Davie Gordon: Thanks for your input.
    Robb K: It's all good. I wish I had your collection.

Take a listen to[oh how you hurt me]one of their coolest early mini-hits,william powell at his best,a rare first tenor lead for the o'jays!