[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross live in Worcester last night - Star power ignites the Hanover.

A Great Review

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Diana Ross' star power ignites the Hanover
    MUSIC REVIEW

Diana Ross at the Hanover Theatre last night. [[T&GStaff/STEVE LANAVA)

By Richard Duckett TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    rduckett@telegram.com

1 comment | Add a comment

Photo galleries
    • SLIDESHOW: Diana Ross performs at the Hanover
    WORCESTER — “It's my house, and I live here.”

Seldom has a line seemed more appropriate for a concert than when Diana Ross sang it [[from the song “It's My House”) in the middle of her “Diana Ross Now: The Greatest Hits Tour” performance Tuesday night at an almost sold-out Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts.

By that point Ross did own the house/aka The Hanover Theatre, as more than 2,100 people had long been clapping — some standing and clapping — singing along and generally getting into the ebullient sprit of what was a fabulous evening. At the end of the show Ross said that Tuesday's performance was the last of five week tour. Maybe that was another reason the night seemed so special. “We are in such joy up here on the stage, and I do hope you were feeling some of that,” Ross said.

Indeed. Ross of Supremes fame, “Lady Sings the Blues” fame, “Mahogany” fame “The Wiz” fame, “Endless Love” fame [[and so one could continue) is a legend for a reason. Even if you were seeing her perform live for the first time Tuesday night, there was no question about it — Ross, 67, is a star.

First of all, taking the stage after an almost portentous build up from a 10-member band [[that included a dynamic four-member brass section), Ross looked terrific. She was slim, tall, with big hair and a face that appeared very young [[about 27, say) and started out the night wearing a dazzling white and gold dress [[there would be four costume changes).

Furthermore, she seemed buoyant, as if she wanted to have a good time. The mood was almost remarkably generous, although time would go fast [[the performance, without an intermission, was 85 minutes).

The first number, “The Boss,” isn't perhaps the greatest in the “Greatest Hits” Ross repertoire, but it's not bad, either, and Ross' distinct sound and tone was instantly recognizable. A bouncy number, the song also had the merit of immediately engaging the audience in enjoying themselves. The number “I Love You More Today than Yesterday” did more of the same.

Then Ross dipped into some numbers from the Supremes, the vocal group formed in 1959 that got the Detroit-born Ross' singing career started. Now we were really talking, so to speak. The first two performed, “My World is Empty without You” and “Where Did Our Love Go?” are great pop songs, and Ross' voice sounded as youthful as she looked.

Tuesday's concert was certainly not going to be a definitive live singing rendition of songs from Ross' Supremes and solo career. Instead, this was someone singing very well to a house full of friends. More than that, Ross imparted a special indefinable magic to each song with her presence — the aforementioned star quality.

The band performing behind and sometimes alongside her was bold and brassy but also tight musically, and three backup singers provided excellent support. The refrain “baby, baby,” in “Where Did Our Love Go?” is important to the song's impact, and the rendition had plenty.

“Baby Love” and “Stop in the Name of Love” continued the show's unstoppable forward momentum [[“Don't be shy” Ross told the audience about audience participation), then came “You Can't Hurry Love.” After a costume change, songs from her solo career took center stage, including “Do You Know Where You're Going To?”

Ross worked the stage from side to side, but while looking energetic, she knew not to over-hurry herself vocally and in terms of movement. There were well-timed pauses that were used for costume changes, and may also have come in handy for taking a small breather and resting the voice.

Slower numbers that could have posed challenges to the vocal range — “The Look of Love,” for example — were given arrangements and performances that were simple yet very effective and put the band to good use.

Ross also showed that she can still sing the blues — fittingly for someone who played Billie Holiday in a movie. However, this was really an evening and a show that seemed best suited for Ross raising the volume on her pop classics.

To actually be able to watch and listen to Ross raise the roof on “Ain't No Mountain High Enough” was a truly thrilling experience. Similarly, the sight of Ross passing the microphone to audience members who had come to the front of the stage for an encore reprise of “I Will Survive” — people would sing the refrain and then pass the microphone back to Ross who continued singing — was another delight that won't be forgotten.

Worcester, Reading, Wilkes-Barre......wow! Diana is really getting around these days. You go Miss Ross!

It was a great show. I was there, and had a wonderful time. The audience was so enthusiastic, and you could tell Diana was really into the performance. She looked great, as well.

Her tours are huge successes these last 3 years.

I see there has been a Facebook page set up to encourage her to do a European Tour in 2012.

Diana was in excellent voice and showmanship. Exhibiting star quality non-stop. She was radiant.

I have been disappointed at times, in the past, but was thoroughly pleased last night.

Although I saw The Supremes and Diana Ross many times, I don't ever recall hearing unedited versions of WDOLG or MWIEWY, even back in early 1966. It was a special treat to hear those songs, in full, last night.

reese, another show we both have attended [[the last one was Aretha in Hyannis on Cape Cod). Maybe one day we will meet.

I was in the 6th row [[row E) right [[near where that old usher was trying to get people to sit down, the poor chap - just doing his job - he even asked me to stop taking pictures with my cell. Diana was patient with him.)

There were about 20 of us in various rows. A friend in the 2nd row was at the stage and got to sing a verse of I Will Survive. He always manages to get close to his star of stars and has danced on stage with her many times. She loves him too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Diana was in excellent voice and showmanship. Exhibiting star quality non-stop. She was radiant.

I have been disappointed at times, in the past, but was thoroughly pleased last night.

Although I saw The Supremes and Diana Ross many times, I don't ever recall hearing unedited versions of WDOLG or MWIEWY, even back in early 1966. It was a special treat to hear those songs, in full, last night.

reese, another show we both have attended [[the last one was Aretha in Hyannis on Cape Cod). Maybe one day we will meet.

I was in the 6th row [[row E) right [[near where that old usher was trying to get people to sit down, the poor chap - just doing his job - he even asked me to stop taking pictures with my cell. Diana was patient with him.)

There were about 20 of us in various rows. A friend in the 2nd row was at the stage and got to sing a verse of I Will Survive. He always manages to get close to his star of stars and has danced on stage with her many times. She loves him too.
    Sounds like a wonderful show jonjeb.

Best to you.

Roberta

Diana Ross wows audiences at the Sovereign Center in Reading

Latest local, national & international news from the Associated Press
    Diana Ross wows audiences at the Sovereign Center in Reading
    Oct. 6, 2011, 12:13 p.m. EDT
    The Mercury
    When you hear the name Diana Ross in 2011, what comes to mind? The glitz and glamour, the big hair, the even bigger voice? A legendary superstar? The bad press and rumors of a rich spoiled diva? The unexpected bouncing of Lil Kims boob on national television?

The last time I had heard of Ross performing was a few years ago for the Supremes Reunion Debacle. Not a great couple of years. So I wasn’t sure what to expect of her performance on Oct. 1 at the Performing Arts Center in Reading.

Concerts by legendary performers can be hit or miss these days. Elton John and Cher can still easily fill large arenas with crowds of all ages, and deservedly so. They both sound as great as they ever did and both put on spectacular shows.

But we’ve all seen some once classic bands give some embarrassing performances on television and YouTube because they didn’t know it was time to give it up 10 years ago.

I was hoping to see at least a glimpse of the superstar magic that Ross possessed for three decades. As the lights dimmed over the less than capacity crowd expectations were high as the stage pulsated with pounding rhythms and dazzling lights showcasing some glamorous shots of Ross throughout the years. When she finally emerged on stage with “It’s My House,” Diana was looking and sounding great, clearly enjoying being back entertaining her true fans.

She followed that up with her cover of Spiral Staircase’s classic “More Today than Yesterday.”

Ross did not hesitate, delivering to the crowd what they really wanted.

A hot, tight set of the Supremes’ chart toppers including “Baby Love,” “You Can’t Hurry Love,” “Stop in the Name of Love,” “My World Is Empty Without You” and the classic power anthem “Love Child.”

It was simply sensational.

For the rest of the night there was no doubt that Ross was in command of the crowd, cruising through mega hits from her superstar solo career of the ’70s, including “Touch Me In The Morning,” “ Love Hangover” and “The Boss” right through her big ’80s comeback dance hits, like “Upside Down” and “I’m Coming Out.” She even covered Billie Holiday’s classics from her 1972 Academy Award-nominated role in “Lady Sings the Blues.”

It was mesmerizing.

Her band and background singers were also tight and amazing.

As the fast but super tight show drew to close, we were treated to some pure Diana Ross gold, including “Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You’re Going To?)” and one of the most sensual songs ever, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” to the crowds sheer delight.

Yes, I could have done without some throwaway covers like “Why do Fools Fall in Love” and “I Will Survive” and I admit I did slip out for a beer during “Ease on Down The Road,” but overall, Diana was superb, closing with the encore of ”Reach Out and Touch” to a sea of swaying hands in the air.

I was pleased to see Diana Ross back in her element again.

You can just call her Miss Ross.

Ed Foley is an advertising representative for The Penny Pincher. You can reach him at efoley@pottsmerc.com

atcsm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Worcester, Reading, Wilkes-Barre......wow! Diana is really getting around these days. You go Miss Ross!
    What an elitest snob you are.

Quote Originally Posted by atcsm View Post
    What an elitest snob you are.
    I beg your pardon?

atcsm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I beg your pardon?
    Please don't beg - it's not very becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by atcsm View Post
    Please don't beg - it's not very becoming.
    Why must you always try to start trouble? Can't you just enjoy the forum and let others enjoy as well?