[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross / Supremes Studio Medleys

Am I correct that these are the only studio medleys [[not live performances) recorded by DRATS? Are there any by Diana solo?

1. The major 10 minute medley of several Supremes' hits that has appeared from time to time on various compilations such as the "SUPERSTAR SERIES" [["Stop! In the Name of Love," "Back In My Arms Again," "Come See About Me," "Love Is Like an Itching In My Heart," "Where Did Our Love Go," and "Baby Love".)

2. The 2 song medley that appears on THE SUPREMES AND THE TEMPTATIONS STUDIO RECORDINGS [["You Can't Hurry Love" and "You Keep Me Hangin' On")

3. The medley on LOST AND FOUND [["Come See About Me," "Stop! In the Name of Love, Baby Love")

What have I missed? I was sure there was another medley of hits with different songs that those on the SUPERSTAR SERIES. I recall that it was not edited as well and appeared in some compilation. Am I dreaming?
    Last edited by longtimefan; 10-03-2011 at 12:59 AM.

There was the hits medley recorded with the Temptations that was intended to be the opening track on the "Diana Ross & The Supremes Join The Temptations" album from 1968, but was cut before release.

The medley included: "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes / Come See About Me / Stop! In The Name Of Love / Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart / You Keep Me Hangin' On"

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    What have I missed? I was sure there was another medley of hits with different songs that those on the SUPERSTAR SERIES. I recall that it was not edited as well and appeared in some compilation. Am I dreaming?[/QUOTE]

Hi Longtime - you're thinking of the medley on 'All The Great Hits'.

It was: You Keep Me Hangin On-My World Is Empty Without You-You Cant Hurry Love-Love Child-Reflections-I Hear A Symphony-Love Is Here And Now You're Gone-Someday We'll Be Together

It runs to 15:12. I think it was probably done to fit as many Supremes songs onto one side of an compilation LP

uptight Guest
    Who was the drummer on that Supremes "disco" medley? It was the b-side to either "The Boss" or "No One Gets The Prize" 12-inch single. I remember the DJ on the Boblo Boat played it for the youngen's on the dance floor.

I'M THE GREATEST STAR from the Funny Girl album doesn't have "medley" in its title. But technicially it is one, including the title song, I'M THE GREATEST STAR, DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE, and PEOPLE.

YES!!! Thank you, that's it. But guess what, it does not appear on the "All the Hits" CD, just the 2 LP set.

Fellow fans ... is this medley on any CD release? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by stopinthenameoflove View Post
    What have I missed? I was sure there was another medley of hits with different songs that those on the SUPERSTAR SERIES. I recall that it was not edited as well and appeared in some compilation. Am I dreaming?

It was: You Keep Me Hangin On-My World Is Empty Without You-You Cant Hurry Love-Love Child-Reflections-I Hear A Symphony-Love Is Here And Now You're Gone-Someday We'll Be Together

It runs to 15:12. I think it was probably done to fit as many Supremes songs onto one side of an compilation LP[/QUOTE]

Yes it is. It's track #14 [[of 15 tracks) on my copy of the CD.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    [QUOTE=longtimefan;70064]YES!!! Thank you, that's it. But guess what, it does not appear on the "All the Hits" CD, just the 2 LP set.

Hi again! - it IS on my CD of that compilation! [[3746309602), but I do remember seeing a version with it missing

Might be worth taking a look here - there are 2 versions of the CD
    http://www.diana-web.com/discography/cd5.html

Sincere thanks to all!!! Yes, there are two versions of ALL THE GREAT HITS as Mysterysinger points out. [[Blush) I just realized that I actually have both, but I was looking at the wrong one, not knowing that I had another [[domestic and import!!!)

Well, thanks to SDF fans ... I got it together thanks to all of you! LOL

Also, there is a medley of No One Gets the Prize and The Boss on DIANA: THE RARITIES EDITION.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    There was the hits medley recorded with the Temptations that was intended to be the opening track on the "Diana Ross & The Supremes Join The Temptations" album from 1968, but was cut before release.

The medley included: "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes / Come See About Me / Stop! In The Name Of Love / Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart / You Keep Me Hangin' On"
    Hey Brad...I always thought that this medley was going to be the opening of what was to become the TCB TV Special?

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    YES!!! Thank you, that's it. But guess what, it does not appear on the "All the Hits" CD, just the 2 LP set.

It runs to 15:12. I think it was probably done to fit as many Supremes songs onto one side of an compilation LP
    [/QUOTE]

I've never heard this particular medley. Is this version posted on Youtube?

Rossholloway,

This medley [["You Keep Me Hangin' On --- Someday We'll Be together" is poorly done a [[choppy editing). Quite honestly, it's not worth searching for. It includes pieces of their hits strung together without any smooth transitions, etc.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Rossholloway,

This medley [["You Keep Me Hangin' On --- Someday We'll Be together" is poorly done a [[choppy editing). Quite honestly, it's not worth searching for. It includes pieces of their hits strung together without any smooth transitions, etc.
    Thanks for the info. Seems like I had heard the same review years ago..that's too bad. Do you [[or anyone who reads this) know if there were other medleys on the Superstar Series from the other artists or how they sounded?

Supreme songs were mostly always sung in a medley form, even when the group was singing them. I am glad that Mary and especially Diana are singing the full versions now. Has Diana Ross ever sung any of her solo songs in a medley form? I know she does "Do you know/Aint no Mountain" and "Missing you/You are not alone". But to me a medley is at least 3 songs or more. For the first time that I can recall in her recent concert tour she sings a dance medley of "Love hangover/Take me higher/Ease on down the road. Has she ever done something like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Thanks for the info. Seems like I had heard the same review years ago..that's too bad. Do you [[or anyone who reads this) know if there were other medleys on the Superstar Series from the other artists or how they sounded?
    After MOTOWN 25, there was an album that included the Supremes medley, as well as other artists in the Superstar Series like Martha and the Vandellas, Gladys Knight and the Pips, the Jackson 5, and the Four Tops. I have the album, but I can't think of the title at the moment.

Re the medley, besides the one on the Supremes, I recall those of the Vandellas and the Pips. IMO, neither of them were as well done as the Supremes' medley was. The tempos on certain songs didn't segue well.

Reese is right ... not only the mis-matchhed tempos .. but there was no unifying backtrack/drum beat like the original Supremes' medley. I thought it was very odd for Motown to release such performances; they are better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    After MOTOWN 25, there was an album that included the Supremes medley, as well as other artists in the Superstar Series like Martha and the Vandellas, Gladys Knight and the Pips, the Jackson 5, and the Four Tops. I have the album, but I can't think of the title at the moment.

Re the medley, besides the one on the Supremes, I recall those of the Vandellas and the Pips. IMO, neither of them were as well done as the Supremes' medley was. The tempos on certain songs didn't segue well.

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    Who was the drummer on that Supremes "disco" medley? It was the b-side to either "The Boss" or "No One Gets The Prize" 12-inch single. I remember the DJ on the Boblo Boat played it for the youngen's on the dance floor.
    The drummer was James Gadson, and the bassist was Nathan Lamar Watts.

diana did perform and medley of her hits when she recived an award on the WORLD MUSIC AWARDS in the 90s.probably on youtubes.i remember she had a blonde wig on.

I wasn't impressed with many of the medleys on the Superstar Series. The Supremes which is the one that started the trend, was pretty good but could have been better. The medley on DR Hits collection is just OK.

I was disappointed with the Vandellas medley. I vaguely recall that some songs seem to be edited too severely. I always referred to that medley as "Love Is Like A Live Wire" or "Dancing In The Quicksand".

LOL LOL That's clever, Johnjeb!

You are right ... these medleys were far below Motown standard. Berry would NEVER have let tracks this clumsy out of the stable!

She also did a medley when she received the Lifetime Achievement Award on Nickelodeon. If I remember correctly has Supremes and solo hits

Sincere thanks to all!!! Yes, there are two versions of ALL THE GREAT HITS as Mysterysinger points out. [[Blush) I just realized that I actually have both, but I was looking at the wrong one, not knowing that I had another [[domestic and import!!!)

Well, thanks to SDF fans ... I got it together thanks to all of you! LOL
    I'm having trouble finding a MP3/digital copy of the 15-minute Supremes medley from ALL THE GREAT HITS [[but I have it on vinyl) - anyone know where I can find it?

ETA: Never mind - I was able to track it down after all...
    Last edited by ejluther; 11-24-2011 at 02:59 PM.