ladonna Guest

Mary Wilson IS Lena Horne!!

Legendary Singer Mary Wilson on GDLA
    Good Day LA video report.
    Updated: Thursday, 29 Sep 2011, 2:06 PM PDT
    Published : Thursday, 29 Sep 2011, 2:06 PM PDT
    Video from:
    Good Day LA
    Los Angeles - Singer Mary Wilson, who is best known as one of the original members of "The Supremes," is going on tour... performing songs of Lena Horne.
    Mary will be starring in a concert based on James Gavin's book "Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project," at the Musicians Institute Concert Center.
    On Thursday Mary talked to us about the performance, which will be narrated by James Gavin, and feature the musical talents of pianist Larry Dunlap, bassist Christopher Colangelo, and drummer Kendall Kay.
    Watch the GDLA interview in the media player.
    More info:
    Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project
    Musicians Institute Concert Center in Hollywood
    Thursday, September 29th at 8:30 pm.

Read more: http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/good_day_...#ixzz1ZTQDhgZd

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/good_day_...-gdla-20110929

atcsm Guest
    This show sounds great - any reviews from last night's perfomance?

Here is Mary singing at the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLirsJOKc8

smark21 Guest
    Just did a google news search and no reviews came up. However on Facebook, a fan posted pics taken after the show. Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne were at the show and posed for some pics with Mary. Debbie Sharpe was also there.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Here is Mary singing at the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLirsJOKc8
    Actually Stephanie, that video was uploaded in April to promote the show. It was not taken from last night's performance in LA.

atcsm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Just did a google news search and no reviews came up. However on Facebook, a fan posted pics taken after the show. Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie Payne were at the show and posed for some pics with Mary. Debbie Sharpe was also there.
    That's cool - I will look for that. I thought her biggest fan would be posting like crazy about this, but he is more concerned about Diana's skin color.

Only to her biggest fan I say.................if Diana bleached her everythings, surely Mary followed suit. Ne??

act--could you please stop trying to cause trouble and just enjoy SD?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    act--could you please stop trying to cause trouble and just enjoy sd?
    amen to that!

That's great that Cindy and Scherrie were there. Can you please tell me who is debbie Sharpe?

I should've driven up to LA for that. I would have loved to have seen Cindy and Scherrie. I don't have a clue to who Debbie Sharpe is. I would guess she was a fan who happened to be there.

Debbie Sharpe is the lady that Mary hired along with Cindy Birdsong to tour South America in 1977 to complete some dates that the Supremes were suppose to play.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

smark21 Guest
    Didn't REDHOT say he was going to see this show? He hasn't reported back to us yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Debbie Sharpe is the lady that Mary hired along with Cindy Birdsong to tour South America in 1977 to complete some dates that the Supremes were suppose to play.
    And all this time I thought there were only 9 Suremes. I just learned something new today. Thanks bradsupremes for the information. How long was Debbie Sharpe a Supreme?

Thanks again.

Roberta

Roberta75, Debbie Sharpe was hired by Mary to be a backup singer even though they were promoted as the Supremes by the venues they played at. Debbie was never signed with Motown as a Supreme thus she was never a Supreme. She was only a backup singer as were the other ladies hired by Mary after 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    And all this time I thought there were only 9 Suremes. I just learned something new today. Thanks bradsupremes for the information. How long was Debbie Sharpe a Supreme?

Thanks again.

Roberta
    Roberta Debbie [[aka Deborah Sharpe Taylor)is also a gifted actress and vocal coach. If you saw the Michael Jackson Homegoing Celebration, Debbie put together and directed the childrens choir. She also sang with Andre Crouch for the same service. She's also a great lady, who belong to the same bible study group as Scherrie Payne.

And all this time I thought there were only 9 Supremes. I just learned something new today. Thanks bradsupremes for the information. How long was Debbie Sharpe a Supreme?

Thanks again.

Roberta
    Debbie Sharpe is as much a Supreme as is Kaaaaaren Ragland. After Mary left the group she continued to tour under various Supremes billings. Debbie was a back up singer called a Supreme in the billing but was never a Supreme. The difference is Debbie never milked it for the money like Kaaaaaren did

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Roberta75, Debbie Sharpe was hired by Mary to be a backup singer even though they were promoted as the Supremes by the venues they played at. Debbie was never signed with Motown as a Supreme thus she was never a Supreme. She was only a backup singer as were the other ladies hired by Mary after 1977.
    Oh so Miss Sharp wasn't a Supreme? I guess I got confused because the photo you posted said Las Supremas which means The Supremes in English. I had never heard of this lady until today.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Roberta Debbie [[aka Deborah Sharpe Taylor)is also a gifted actress and vocal coach. If you saw the Michael Jackson Homegoing Celebration, Debbie put together and directed the childrens choir. She also sang with Andre Crouch for the same service. She's also a great lady, who belong to the same bible study group as Scherrie Payne.
    Well if Debbie is a friend of Scherrie's and goes to Bible study she's Aokay in my book.

Milven is right, as usual. Debbie doesn't milk the name Supremes the way Kaaren does ~ it's just too much. The public doesn't know but the fans do.

Mary was young when she made these decisions not to pursue the name and to hire all these people to be Supremes; she has visions of a successful solo career and hits and the name appeared dead. It's the kind of decision that gets made by many uninformed or ill advised performers even today. And the consequences never really stop.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Milven is right, as usual. Debbie doesn't milk the name Supremes the way Kaaren does ~ it's just too much. The public doesn't know but the fans do.

Mary was young when she made these decisions not to pursue the name and to hire all these people to be Supremes; she has visions of a successful solo career and hits and the name appeared dead. It's the kind of decision that gets made by many uninformed or ill advised performers even today. And the consequences never really stop.
    I had never heard of Debbie Sharpe Taylor until today and only on this forum. I google her and it says here that she was a Supreme with Mary and Cindy. http://www.capopandjazzcouncil.com/DeBorah.html

Mary Wilson starring in "The Lena Horne Project"!

Mary after the show with the "infamous" Margie Haber![[far right)

Mary looks very excited. She must be enjoying her new role as Lena Horne.

Is this the same debbie Sharpe who recorded backing vocals for FRances Nero during her Motorcity years?

Who is Margie Haber?

Who is Margie Haber?
    And.....why is she infamous?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    And.....why is she infamous?

Margie was with Mary the night Berry Gordy made that phone call to tell her that he wanted to replace Jean Terrell. Mary said no and he pretty much "washed his hands of the group".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Margie was with Mary the night Berry Gordy made that phone call to tell her that he wanted to replace Jean Terrell. Mary said no and he pretty much "washed his hands of the group".
    Outside of a handful of die hard fans that that hardly makes her infamous.

I love Debbie Sharpe. Great singer, great lady!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love Debbie Sharpe. Great singer, great lady!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX4oV...eature=related

Outside of a handful of die hard fans that that hardly makes her infamous.
    No, you are wrong! Outside of the 1.75 million + people that bought and read "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" definitely makes her infamous and somewhat famous as Mary mentions her several times throughout the book!

That is one talented lady........and can sing!!! Thanks Blueskies.

Marv

Margie was talked about in Mary's book "Dreamgirl." She came along when DR and the Supremes were starting to fall apart in the late 60's--Mary said she was really happy to have a friend outside of show-biz and Margie was that.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Margie was talked about in Mary's book "Dreamgirl." She came along when DR and the Supremes were starting to fall apart in the late 60's--Mary said she was really happy to have a friend outside of show-biz and Margie was that.
    Thanks for the information BobC although I still fail to see what makes the woman infamous.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned here, but how did Mary get the role? Did she audition, or was it offered to her?

smark21 Guest
    Thanks for the information BobC although I still fail to see what makes the woman infamous.
    Infamous implies that one did something terrible or unforgiveable. Furthermore, since die hards are asking about Margie, I doubt the casual reader who bought the book 24 years ago and then disposed of it would have remembered Margie and all of her supposedly notorious antics.

Infamous implies that one did something terrible or unforgiveable. Furthermore, since die hards are asking about Margie, I doubt the casual reader who bought the book 24 years ago and then disposed of it would have remembered Margie and all of her supposedly notorious antics.
    Exactly smark21. I doubt this Margie woman would want to be in the company of Casey Anthony, Lee Harvey Oswald, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, Eva Braun and Lizzie Borden. Now they are all truly infamous. Margie Haber is neither famous nor infamous.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned here, but how did Mary get the role? Did she audition, or was it offered to her?
    This article explains how mary got the role Koach.

http://www.lasentinel.net/Stormy-Wea...ry-Wilson.html

Is Mary playing Lena, or is she just singing Lena songs in a tribute show?

Because Diane hated her.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Because Diane hated her.

uh huh and Margie put Diane in her place on numerous occaisions! LOL!

Great pics Marv; brad-is that Debbie or Jean with Mary and Cindy? JRT also speaks quite a bit about Margie in his book and seemed to indicate Diana was jealous of Margie's relationship with Mary. Maybe some people should be knowledgeable of the facts before criticizing others. Or just zip it!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great pics Marv; brad-is that Debbie or Jean with Mary and Cindy? JRT also speaks quite a bit about Margie in his book and seemed to indicate Diana was jealous of Margie's relationship with Mary. Maybe some people should be knowledgeable of the facts before criticizing others. Or just zip it!
    And maybe some people should look up the meaning of infamous before they start blabbing that a woman is infamous, when she clearly isn't.

Luke, it's Debbie with Mary and Cindy. It's funny you ask that because it does look like Jean. When I first saw the picture, I thought "Hmmm...that looks like Jean," but you can tell Mary and Cindy's hair reflect the late 70's and Debbie is shorter than Mary and Cindy whereas Jean was taller.

And maybe some people should look up the meaning of infamous before they start blabbing that a woman is infamous, when she clearly isn't.
    She's infamous to those who know, maybe not to the World at large. You just don't know much.....

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Is Mary playing Lena, or is she just singing Lena songs in a tribute show?
    From what I've heard about the show, Mary is singing Lena's songs while author James Garvin reads excerpts from his biography of Lena Horne. The show has been booked to play a couple of colleges in the upcoming months. It sounds like a nice educational/historical/musical endeavor.

Thanks. Sounds like a good show.

I wonder if she sings "Believe in yourself" from the Wiz?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I wonder if she sings "Believe in yourself" from the Wiz?
    It would be a great choice if she did.