[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I cant even imagine Chaka and Rufus or some other acts going synth!
    Actually, they did! The addition of of David "Hawk" Wollinski in the late 70s had a lot to do with that. They put out an album "Party 'Till You're Broke" in the early 80s [[without Chaka) that was typical dance R&B of the time, and, aside from perhaps the drums and some guitar, their final hit "Ain't Nobody" was almost all keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    For better or worse, it comes down to economics & education.

For example, many of us hate the idea of synths & electronics infiltrating the music & I can understand that. However, who employed synths more than Stevie Wonder when he was crafting all of those classics from 1971 forward? How about Herbie Hancock & about 100 other great groups?

So it's not so much a matter of too much electronics, but I'd argue that it's a matter of knowing & understanding how to play & utilize those electronics effectively. In the hands of an ARTIST like Stevie, those synths were like a soul that breathed. Take that same TONTO setup & put them in the hands of someone who's not a true practitioner of the art & you get a totally different result.

Perhaps it's more a matter of skill & execution because I've never heard anyone complain about the way that Stevie, Bernie Worrell & the other cats used that same technology to perfection.

Just a thought.
    And a thought that's on the the mark!
    Last edited by soulster; 10-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.