[REMOVE ADS]

A temptin triute

While it's nice to see the temps being honored on broadway,i'm wondering with this being their fiftieth anniversary are radio stations across the country paying any tributes to the greatest five man group of all time,when i see tv music shows paying attention to artist far less accomplished than the temptations it just makes me wonder if some have forgotten the emperors of soul,i know that we live in a time of what have you done for me lately so i'm just asking...temptations forever!!

Jai, I don't think that the public has forgotten the Temptations by any means. I do think that some have tired of the same 3-4 Temptations songs that get played regularly on Oldies Radio nationwide. I would hope that during their 50th Anniversary some of their other popular, but lesser played songs will get an airwave revival. They have tons of classic hits that just do not get heard anymore on a broad level.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    jai, i don't think that the public has forgotten the temptations by any means. I do think that some have tired of the same 3-4 temptations songs that get played regularly on oldies radio nationwide. I would hope that during their 50th anniversary some of their other popular, but lesser played songs will get an airwave revival. They have tons of classic hits that just do not get heard anymore on a broad level.
    marv great minds think alike,that's mainly what i mean are there any dj's who will say forget this playlist today i'm playing the whole nine for this occation and crank out the classics big and small[mind over matter-born to love you-just let me know-it don't have to be this way-tear from a woman's eyes-paradise-baby,baby i need you-isn't she pretty-slow down heart-oh mother of mine]you get the idea...well dj's??? I'll be listening!

I agree their catalog is so vast that its impossible to totally ignore them. Like other groups of their stature, today's music buying public tends to ignore them. Their old cuts will always sell and thats what the majority in this country knows them for. I'm just saying, they've been around for quite some time. This was my group growing up, my brothers and sisters groups, and all of our kids groups. Its a family thing. Hell my mother loves The Temptations. Now with that said, all they have to do is to continue recording and they will be just fine. Most of the groups of that era have been regulated to Oldies Shows and couldn't get a record contract if they paid for one. They rely on their past hits and give great live performances [[thank God) but The Tempts have the luxury of doing both. Say what you will or may about The Temptations TV Movie, they got an extreme amount of mileage out of that [[ probably because we waited so long to see it) but our kids kids became familiar with the group all the old cats talked about........yeah sometimes life is good......

Oh Jai just saw your post, I'm sure that with the proliferation of Internet Radio, they will be a great many jocks playing Temptation cuts, a lot of these new age jocks play quite a bit of request radio and are based upon interactive formats [[ a wise move) whereas a person can become socially interactive with the jock and provide feedback and recommendations for future shows. I laugh every time I hear a Clear Channel/IHart radio jock say.....the 257th nation wide caller will win a pair of tickets to......."The Greatest Show on Earth" just dial 1-800-555-5555 ....hilarious.......

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    marv great minds think alike,that's mainly what i mean are there any dj's who will say forget this playlist today i'm playing the whole nine for this occation and crank out the classics big and small[mind over matter-born to love you-just let me know-it don't have to be this way-tear from a woman's eyes-paradise-baby,baby i need you-isn't she pretty-slow down heart-oh mother of mine]you get the idea...well dj's??? I'll be listening!
    All the songs you list are some of my guilty pleasures that I play at my house at least one weekend out of the month! The only stations that would be bold enough to play them today are for the most part independent college or community stations. Strange as it is, I have a better chance of hearing any of those songs on the radio driving in Canada! Even still, when was the last time you heard "Run Away Child, Running Wild" , "Please Return Your Love to Me", "Hey Girl", "Don't Look Back", "I'll Be In Trouble" or " Girl, Why You Want to Make Me Blue" on the radio anywhere? In every city you have programs such as "Beatles Brunch", "Beatles Sunday" or "Beatles Forever" type weekly programs.

Our friend Classic Master does a good job of playing a broad array of classics, but there should be so, so much more. I mean Motown in general had hundreds of top of 40 and top 100 hits and we only get about 15-20 of them on a regular basis. It is human nature to get tired of the same songs after a while and it frustrates me personally to have it appear to younger music fans that the Temptations only have 3 or 4 hits such as "My Girl", "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", "Get Ready" and "Papa Was a Rolling Stone"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    I agree their catalog is so vast that its impossible to totally ignore them. Like other groups of their stature, today's music buying public tends to ignore them. Their old cuts will always sell and thats what the majority in this country knows them for. I'm just saying, they've been around for quite some time. This was my group growing up, my brothers and sisters groups, and all of our kids groups. Its a family thing. Hell my mother loves The Temptations. Now with that said, all they have to do is to continue recording and they will be just fine. Most of the groups of that era have been regulated to Oldies Shows and couldn't get a record contract if they paid for one. They rely on their past hits and give great live performances [[thank God) but The Tempts have the luxury of doing both. Say what you will or may about The Temptations TV Movie, they got an extreme amount of mileage out of that [[ probably because we waited so long to see it) but our kids kids became familiar with the group all the old cats talked about........yeah sometimes life is good......

Yes life and God is good! The movie did go a long way in keeping the Temptations legacy alive, However, their music could and should have been able to stand alone if it were still played! Much of their catalog has stood the test of time in that it doesn't sound dated as so much of the earlier Doo Wop classic do today. The Temptations are an "inter-generational" act! I remember my parents buying all of their 45's and then one day in 1966 my Dad brought home that "Temptations Greatest Hits " album. You know the one with the Purple/Blue cover? It became our favorite album in our household! At 6 or7 years old my brother and I knew all the words to songs like " I'll Be In Trouble" and we made up our own moves to the songs!!!!!

Yes it frustrates me as well,heck even the[so called]oldies stations don't go back nearly far enough,as a matter of fact the last truly good temps tribute i heard was back in the seventies from[bobby bennett]whom some here may know as he's been a top dj in the dc-md-va area for years and would pull back the covers back in the day and let it play.

Yes it frustrates me as well,heck even the[so called]oldies stations don't go back nearly far enough,as a matter of fact the last truly good temps tribute i heard was back in the seventies from[bobby bennett]whom some here may know as he's been a top dj in the dc-md-va area for years and would pull back the covers back in the day and let it play.
    The problem is, the big corporate owned stations do not give the public credit enough to know what we want to hear and for knowing the music! They decide for us!

smark21 Guest
    I rarely listen to the radio and haven't done so in years. I've been in a couple of office situations in which radio play was allowed and I remember co workers playing the R and B oriented oldies station and it just got tedious after a few days as it seemed the play list was limited to about 150 songs, max. I swear My Girl was played at least twice in the work day.