Will Jessica win ‘American Idol’?

By Greg David

2012-05-23

Teen diva in the lead heading into finale spectacular

In the end, who wins this season of American Idol will be merely a footnote in an entertaining Season 11. At the conclusion of Tuesday’s penultimate episode, it appeared that petite teen Jessica Sanchez had the edge over folksy Phillip Phillips after each finalist performed three songs each.

In front of a packed house at L.A.’s Nokia Theatre, which seemed like it was pro-Phillip, the final two belted out a song chosen by Idol franchise creator Simon Fuller, a second song chosen by the singer themselves and the third song being their first single.

Jessica started off strong, belting out Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing,” and backed by a string orchestra. Jessica’s vocals can’t be denied, and she fits comfortably in the “diva” category that is so marketable. That was proven by her second tune, “The Prayer,” which began slow and raspy and built to a crescendo that had the audience on their feet. Judges Randy Jackson, Steven Tyler and J.Lo all deemed her the winner of the first two rounds, but were less than impressed with Jessica’s third performance, which was “Change Nothing.” Jessica showed her weakness in the pop song category, failing to be memorable when it came to something with a poppy beat. All three judges agreed she made the best of a bad song choice.

Which left the door open for Phillip.

His folksy singing style gave an interesting twist to “Stand By Me,” Simon Fuller’s pick, but wasn’t as successful with his own choice of Billy Joel’s “Movin’ Out.”

Phillip’s third tune, his first single, “Home,” was amazing. With a country feel and drum band backing him, Phillip left a lasting impression with the judges and voting audience by performing that song last.

“I loved the song, I loved you, I loved the marching band. Brilliant,” gushed Randy.

“I heard a little Paul Simon in there, and you are the man,” echoed Steven.

So, who will win? It’s close call, but Jessica would be the safe bet because she can be put into a category that suits her well. Phillip is a little harder to pin down. Is he folk? Country? Soft rock? And does being more flexible with respect to genres mean he’d be more successful as an artist?

We’ll find out Wednesday, when the Idol finale not only crowns the winner, but welcomes a plethora of guests to the stage. Gloria Gaynor, Thelma Houston, Gladys Knight, Nelly Furtado and Sheila E. will team to pay tribute to Donna Summer. Also on tap Wednesday: John Fogerty will duet with Phillip and Neil Diamond will perform a group number with the male Idol finalists.

The American Idol season finale airs Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET on CTV/Fox.