[REMOVE ADS]

Nat "King" Cole was Supremes' Mentor ??

According to THIS ARTICLE Mary Wilson says that Nat "King" Cole was The Supremes' mentor. She also says that Nat "King" Cole was part of the art development at Motown. I know that she meant to say artist development, but who did she mean to say when she said Nat "King" Cole? I have never heard of any association between Nat and the Supremes and Nat was quite busy with his own career at the time. Does anyone know who she was trying to refer to?

She also said that the Supremes had five consecutive hits in 1960. Either Mary had her facts wrong, or the writer was not paying attention to Mary during the interview.

the 'kings and queens" line came from Maxine Powell in Artist Development;
    this article was clearly written while someone was tripping on acid..

smark21 Guest
    Some of the worst fact checking [[or lack thereof) in a Motown related article I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    the 'kings and queens" line came from Maxine Powell in Artist Development;
    this article was clearly written while someone was tripping on acid..
    What moron would misunderstand "Maxine Powell" to be "Nat King Cole?" Okay, they kind of rhyme, but...the article repeatedly refers to "him" [[Cole) not "her" [[Powell).

I guess Mary didn't have final copy approval on this one!

She evidently was speaking of the great Maurice King who was a part of Artist Development and a prominent bandleader before that.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    According to THIS ARTICLE Mary Wilson says that Nat "King" Cole was The Supremes' mentor. She also says that Nat "King" Cole was part of the art development at Motown. I know that she meant to say artist development, but who did she mean to say when she said Nat "King" Cole? I have never heard of any association between Nat and the Supremes and Nat was quite busy with his own career at the time. Does anyone know who she was trying to refer to?

She also said that the Supremes had five consecutive hits in 1960. Either Mary had her facts wrong, or the writer was not paying attention to Mary during the interview.
    I just read the article. Mary knows that stuff like the back of her hand. It was the writer that got sloppy with the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She evidently was speaking of the great Maurice King who was a part of Artist Development and a prominent bandleader before that.
    Now that makes sense. Thanks. Forgot about Maurice's part in Motown's early history. How the hell could the writer get Nat "King" Cole out of Maurice King? The writer was beyond sloppy. The article made no sense to me. Thanks for clarifying.

Now that makes sense. Thanks. Forgot about Maurice's part in Motown's early history. How the hell could the writer get Nat "King" Cole out of Maurice King? The writer was beyond sloppy. The article made no sense to me. Thanks for clarifying.
    You're very welcome. I almost thought before reading the article that it may have been referring to back when Mary bought Nat "King" Cole's mansion in the Hancock Park Section of Los Angeles.

smark21 Guest
    The writer of the article was called out for what she wrote and in reply she's standing by what she wrote and says that's exactly what Mary told her. I understand Mary's memory of those years is not the greatest, but I can't imagine she would be claiming the Supremes had 5 #1 hits in 1960 or that Nat King Cole was in charge of Artist Development at Motown.

I understand that B.B. King taught The Supremes their choreography and Carole King wrote all their hits

I understand that B.B. King taught The Supremes their choreography and Carole King wrote all their hits
    LOL and Jane Powell taught them etiquette.

People may get dates wrong, but there is no way that Mary would confuse an international singing star with an artist development director at Motown. And even if she did, what kind of reporter is Marian Tuin to not point out such a ridiculous error? Does she even know who Nat "King" Cole was? From reading the article, I don't even think she knows who The Supremes were. Stick to accounting clerk. Leave journalism to others.

uptight Guest
    I would guess the author relied on a cell phone with poor reception for this interview where parts of words and entire words got cut off. But damn that's sloppiest journalism I have seen in long time.

Through a bad signal, I can see how Maxine Powell can sound like Nat King Cole. The names rhyme.

"But we had five consecutive number ones in 1960...” was probably "...in the 1960s."

"You never can tell these record companies these days..." was probably "you never can tell with these record companies these days."

Shaking my head...

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    The writer of the article was called out for what she wrote and in reply she's standing by what she wrote and says that's exactly what Mary told her. I understand Mary's memory of those years is not the greatest, but I can't imagine she would be claiming the Supremes had 5 #1 hits in 1960 or that Nat King Cole was in charge of Artist Development at Motown.
    I wouldn't even give this "writer" that much credit or Mary so little respect. Her book, "Dream Girl," is an extremely detailed account of their early history. Her journaling or note taking along the way gave the book amazing detail as to dates, times, events, who was there and who wasn't, which to me are the most fascinating sections in the book.

The "writer" is a moron, especially to stand behind what she wrote when so little research, if you even want to call it that, would expose her errors.
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-10-2011 at 11:22 AM.

She seems to have changed a few of her "facts" along with dispensing the usual "I'm sorry you feel that way" disclaimer:

http://www.examiner.com/pop-music-in...music-industry

Tony RussiNot a very credible article for sure, LOL.
    Reply · · 13 hours ago

Marian Tuin · Accounting Clerk at Cherry Creek North Business Improvement DistrictI'm sorry you feel that way. I did indeed correspond with Ms. Mary Wilson. Our audio was a bit patchy and I have since cleared up some of the misquotations after speaking with her again to confirm what I heard.

The article now refers to "Maxine Powell," not "Nat King Cole," though it still hilariously refers to Maxine Powell as a "he."

Don't quit your day job, Honey. Considering Accountants also must have attention to detail, I hope you're a better Accountant than you are a Writer.
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-10-2011 at 11:13 AM.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    She seems to have changed a few of her "facts" along with dispensing the usual "I'm sorry you feel that way" disclaimer:

http://www.examiner.com/pop-music-in...music-industry

Tony RussiNot a very credible article for sure, LOL.
    Reply · · 13 hours ago

Marian Tuin · Accounting Clerk at Cherry Creek North Business Improvement DistrictI'm sorry you feel that way. I did indeed correspond with Ms. Mary Wilson. Our audio was a bit patchy and I have since cleared up some of the misquotations after speaking with her again to confirm what I heard.

The article now refers to "Maxine Powell," not "Nat King Cole," though it still hilariously refers to Maxine Powell as a "he."

Don't quit your day job, Honey. Considering Accountants also must have attention to detail, I hope you're a better Accountant than you are a Writer.
    And for a writer she doesn't have a strong command of the English language. "Correspond" indicates she and Mary wrote to each other; one doesn't use "correspond" to indicate they spoke to each other over the phone or via skype.

Wow !! She only made herself look worse. If she really had the opportunity to speak to Mary again to confirm, then why didn't she fix all the "mis-quotes"?" How could she let the Nat "King" Cole reference that she thought she heard get by without asking Mary a follow question. If her lack of journalistic skills are any indication of her accounting skills; her clients must be in front of the IRS every year.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  21.1 KB
    What? You all never heard of "Maurice King Cole"??? He was "Old King Cole"'s son, and Nat's father. You never heard of a guy named "Maxine"? -even in these days of sexual ambiguity?

Why would a professional journalist/writer, who interviews someone, not self edit her/his work, and then have it looked over by a professional 3rd party, AND given a final look by the interviewee? The answer is one WOULD do these things. Therefore, this person is clearly not professional. I hope she has learned the lesson that doing something the "easy" way, comes back to bite one in the rear.

especially when she's exposed to hordes of rabid Supremes-sters!..lol

People may get dates wrong, but there is no way that Mary would confuse an international singing star with an artist development director at Motown. And even if she did, what kind of reporter is Marian Tuin to not point out such a ridiculous error? Does she even know who Nat "King" Cole was? From reading the article, I don't even think she knows who The Supremes were. Stick to accounting clerk. Leave journalism to others.

and I don't believe that stupid reporter. She must have a hearing problem or is simply lying.

ladonna Guest
    especially when she's exposed to hordes of rabid Supremes-sters!..lol

And I predict that Miss Tuin will become much more aggressive about verifying facts when writing about future topic subjects after her initiation into SupremesNation! LOLOLOLOL!!
    Last edited by ladonna; 09-10-2011 at 05:17 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    And I predict that Miss Tuin will become much more aggressive about verifying facts in writing about future topic subjects after her initiation into SupremesNation! LOLOLOLOL!!
    Exactly,lol! Glassy eyed Supremes fans are not to be messed with.

I got the impression that this is just some girl on the internet TRYING to be a music journalist.When she told me "I'm sorry you feel this way" its like how do you respond to such ignorance without really goin off on her which I would rather jus laugh at & ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I got the impression that this is just some girl on the internet TRYING to be a music journalist.When she told me "I'm sorry you feel this way" its like how do you respond to such ignorance without really goin off on her which I would rather jus laugh at & ignore.
    I tried to add my "Don't quit your day job, Honey," barb, but as I'm not on Facebook or anything, there didn't seem a way to post it.

Yes, "I'm sorry you feel that way," is the lamest way to respond. She needed to "man up!"

Little does she know who she's dealing with when she ventures into such territory...! And this wasn't like some trivial error! It showed major ignorance of 60s pop music, not just of Motown!