[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Stml

Stml

STML are, of course, the first four letters of the catalogue numbers for the UK Tamla Motown stereo LP series.

For those of us of senior years, it also stands for......

Short Term Memory Loss!!

.............now what was I just saying?!

Oh, yes, a couple of serious trivia questions. What were the first and last UK Tamla Motown LPs that were issued which used the STML cat nos? Also, how many of the LPs were issued in both mono [[TML) and stereo [[STML) versions?

Best,

Ray

Ray...There are no simple answers to all of your questions.

TML started out only in mono and the first was TML 11001....up to TML 11020 More Hits-The Supremes.

The Four Tops Second album was the first issued in both mono and stereo on [[S)TML 11021. Most albums were then issued in both formats..except for mainly the Various Artists albums, plus a few more too....eg Motortown Revue [[11027), Martin Luther King [[11076), In Loving Memory [[11124), Motown Memories [[11143) etc). Mono albums for artists generally finished about 1970-ish. Soul Spin [[11138) and Cream Of The Crop [[11137) were each issued in mono but David Ruffin's Feeling Good [[11139) wasn't. TML 11055 was originally British Motown Chartbusters and issued only in mono but it sold by the cartload and in about 1969, it was issued in stereo

The STML numbering system went up to the Supremes album [[the one with He's My Man) - STML 11293....then a new numbering system started - I won't go into the reason why. That started with 12001 and followed on from there.

The STML on the old numbering system got a bit complicated though.....STML 11291 and STML 11292 do not exist in the same way as others....those numbers were taken with TMSP 1129 Junior Walker's Anthology. There were others.

Check out the album discographies on the web for more details...there are lots of them. Some STML numbers were not taken and the most famous being STML 11177 which was allocated to the Marvelettes "Return Of" album but it didn't get released.

Many thanks. I'll certainly check out the discogs on-line.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    I never noticed that the numbering changed after STML 11293. You did say you wouldn't go into the reason why, but I would really like to know!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Ray...There are no simple answers to all of your questions.

TML started out only in mono and the first was TML 11001....up to TML 11020 More Hits-The Supremes.

The Four Tops Second album was the first issued in both mono and stereo on [[S)TML 11021. Most albums were then issued in both formats..except for mainly the Various Artists albums, plus a few more too....eg Motortown Revue [[11027), Martin Luther King [[11076), In Loving Memory [[11124), Motown Memories [[11143) etc). Mono albums for artists generally finished about 1970-ish. Soul Spin [[11138) and Cream Of The Crop [[11137) were each issued in mono but David Ruffin's Feeling Good [[11139) wasn't. TML 11055 was originally British Motown Chartbusters and issued only in mono but it sold by the cartload and in about 1969, it was issued in stereo

The STML numbering system went up to the Supremes album [[the one with He's My Man) - STML 11293....then a new numbering system started - I won't go into the reason why. That started with 12001 and followed on from there.

The STML on the old numbering system got a bit complicated though.....STML 11291 and STML 11292 do not exist in the same way as others....those numbers were taken with TMSP 1129 Junior Walker's Anthology. There were others.

Check out the album discographies on the web for more details...there are lots of them. Some STML numbers were not taken and the most famous being STML 11177 which was allocated to the Marvelettes "Return Of" album but it didn't get released.

"I never noticed that the numbering changed after STML 11293."

Just shows you what a sad life I have led! LOL

"You did say you wouldn't go into the reason why, but I would really like to know!"

Apparently, UK Motown went independent for about 2 minutes!! The numbering system for the 45's and the LP's both went out of sync at about the same time. There was a gap in the TMG's from TMG 956 to TMG 1000 but when the new regime wanted to issue classics of the past, they used up the numbering system. They did that cos there were silly fans [[like me) complaining their numbering system had a big gap. You have to remember that, even at that time, there were some folk buying everything that UK Motown put out.

Did the numbering scheme change when the blue Motown M label appeared in the UK?

Eamonn

No....that came later

For me one interesting thing about the Tamla Motown UK LP's is when they have different covers.

Recently I was the happy winner of this one, on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    For me one interesting thing about the Tamla Motown UK LP's is when they have different covers.

Recently I was the happy winner of this one, on ebay.

Phil

When US Motown issued the series "Greatest Hits" with the titles displayed on the cover art, UK Tamla Motown would use pictures.....so look at these ones TML 11032, 11040, 11044, 11061, 11065, 11072, 11076...and others such as 11006, 11008 and 11099

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    [QUOTE=theboyfromxtown;64705]"I never noticed that the numbering changed after STML 11293."

Just shows you what a sad life I have led! LOL

not sad at all! mine are in number order on the shelves. I just though the missing numbers were a lot of 70s Motown I wasn't interested in!