[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

really what does stoned love mean

Hello excuse my ignorance,been listening to Nick Ashford music very sad, but stoned what does it mean .i know it can't mean the obvious, does stoned mean real eg stoned [real] love,sorry i was a kid in the sixties,got me thinking.cheers.

something from wikipedia:

Substance intoxication is a type of substance-induced disorder[1] which is potentially maladaptive and impairing, but reversible,[2] and associated with recent use[3] Usually known by colloquial terms such as 'high', 'stoned', 'baked', 'blazed', etc.

Sorry, I can't believe people still ask this question, but anyway it means
    sealed, solid, completely formed love that can't be blown away by any wisp of
    the wind, that is how I've always understood it and I wish I could say I found it but
    in 50 + years....no I have not...LOL.......

you must be high, "Stoned Love" was not written by Nick Ashford..

I thought Honest Man might be referring to LET'S GO GET STONED written by Nick, with Val and Joshie Armstead. In that case, it meant going out and having some drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    something from wikipedia:

Substance intoxication is a type of substance-induced disorder[1] which is potentially maladaptive and impairing, but reversible,[2] and associated with recent use[3] Usually known by colloquial terms such as 'high', 'stoned', 'baked', 'blazed', etc.
    However, in early 70s urban slang, "stoned" meant something good.

"Stone" meant solid, secure , unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Sorry, I can't believe people still ask this question, but anyway it means
    sealed, solid, completely formed love that can't be blown away by any wisp of
    the wind, that is how I've always understood it and I wish I could say I found it but
    in 50 + years....no I have not...LOL.......
    I believe that honest man hails from central Europe and that English was/is not his primary language - that may explain his unfamiliarity with the meaning of the term, and possible confusion with a distiction in meaning when used in "Let's Go Get Stoned" as opposed to "Stoned Love".
    Last edited by pj1; 08-27-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    "Stone" meant solid, secure , unbreakable
    That's it! Right on, man...or sister!

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    I believe that honest man hails from central Europe and that English was/is not his primary language - that may explain his unfamiliarity with the meaning of the term, and possible confusion with a distiction in meaning when used in "Let's Go Get Stoned" as opposed to "Stoned Love".
    Thing is, "stoned" has three meanings. There is, of course, the "death by stoning". Then, there's the more modern American metaphor of being "stoned", as in being persecuted by the "man", as Bob Dylan used the term in his song "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35". Then, there's the most popular one of getting high on marijuana. And then there's The Chi-Lites' "Stoned Out Of My Mind" along with "Stone In Love With You" by The Stylistics. Well, then, there's Barbra Streisand's "Stoney End", which is bad, but it ain't good! But, it's not "Super Bad" like James Brown was. And he as BAD, when bad was good, and good is about as good as you can possibly get, except when it is bad! Brown was a bad-ass!

Last edited by soulster; 08-27-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Didn't we read in "Supreme Faith" that Frank Wilson meant for the title to be "Stone [not Stoned] Love," which just meant solid, basic, "no frills" love for one another? I seem to recall there was a story about how the 'd' got added to "Stone" which caused it to have imposed upon the song the more obvious [[and incorrect) meaning.

uptight Guest
    I'm pretty sure "stoned love" [[or stone love, however they intended to spell it originally) meant "love as solid as a rock," like the Ashford & Simpson tune LOL.

Years later Kashif had a hit R&B single titled "Stone Love" that meant pretty much the same thing. [[His background vocalists sang "...stoned in love with you.")

honest man Guest
    OK i got it .as i thought stoned as i thought,means[real] solid,yes i speak very good english thank you,stoned was not a common word used in the uk,where i come from and very proud to be,and yes i know STONED LOVE WAS NOT WRITTEN BY NICK ASHFORD,But let's go get stoned was and it was the first time i'd heard the word mentioned in a title years back,until the 70s stoned love etc.

ladonna Guest
    That's the beauty of art, isn't it; it can inspire so many varied interpretations. An argument could be made that the opening lyrics were talking about an enduring overall love for the world and all things in it, and an equally compelling argument could be made that the lyrics were about drug usage.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    OK i got it .as i thought stoned as i thought,means[real] solid,yes i speak very good english thank you,stoned was not a common word used in the uk,where i come from and very proud to be,and yes i know STONED LOVE WAS NOT WRITTEN BY NICK ASHFORD,But let's go get stoned was and it was the first time i'd heard the word mentioned in a title years back,until the 70s stoned love etc.
    Well, I'm sure if you're from the UK your English is better than ours in the US!

I think Mary Wilson also said that because of the title misconception of "Stoned Love" which was going to be the original title of the 70s Supremes' second LP, they renamed the LP to "New Ways But Love Stays," a title which she hated. So the problem was not so much because of people not "getting" what the song was really about, it was that the title [[especially with 'stoned' instead of 'stone') created the miconception all on its own.

Okay, now let's go get stoned!
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-28-2011 at 10:20 AM.

"Stoned Love" was originally written and recorded as "Stone Love." As you notice, Jean, Mary, and Cindy never say "stoned," but "stone." It was during the editing and mixing process that someone added the "d" to "stone" in the title and anytime after the song was known as "Stoned Love."

Does this mean they "edited" in the first word of the song where Jean Terrell sings "Stoned" Love?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Thing is, "stoned" has three meanings. There is, of course, the "death by stoning". Then, there's the more modern American metaphor of being "stoned", as in being persecuted by the "man", as Bob Dylan used the term in his song "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35". Then, there's the most popular one of getting high on marijuana. And then there's The Chi-Lites' "Stoned Out Of My Mind" along with "Stone In Love With You" by The Stylistics. Well, then, there's Barbra Streisand's "Stoney End", which is bad, but it ain't good! But, it's not "Super Bad" like James Brown was. And he as BAD, when bad was good, and good is about as good as you can possibly get, except when it is bad! Brown was a bad-ass!

Stoney End wasn't that great, but it wasn't horrible, either... however, Darlene and Co.'s version makes it a Stone gas!

No, it means that someone added a "d" to the tape labels and paperwork during the editing and mixing process.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Does this mean they "edited" in the first word of the song where Jean Terrell sings "Stoned" Love?

Rob...I agree with you...very clearly..."Stoned..." is what is sung....

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "Stoned Love" was originally written and recorded as "Stone Love." As you notice, Jean, Mary, and Cindy never say "stoned," but "stone." It was during the editing and mixing process that someone added the "d" to "stone" in the title and anytime after the song was known as "Stoned Love."
    This discussion led me to listen closely with headphones to 3 versions of the song- stereo album [[TITS- the 70's Albums, Vol 1), mono single version and long version [[TCMS Vol 10). In each case Jean is most definitely singing STONE Love.
    Perhaps what causes the confusion is the echo/reverb added just for those 2 words.
    And for all these years, I too, thought I was hearing STONED Love- likely because of the song title and the application of echo to those words. Ah, the power of suggestion!

As for the addition of the 'd' at the end of the word 'stone' in the song title, according to TCMS write-up, no -one seems to know how or when it was added.
    This is the jist of what was written there. Frank Wilson heard some of Thomas Kenny's songs on Detroit's WJLB's teen talent contest. He visited Thomas and was most impressed with a new composition 'Stone Love' which reflected the 17 year old composer's feelings about current events. A few weeks later he brought the song to Mary Wilson and introduced her to the author of the song.
    When the song was officially being recorded Thomas attended every session.
    "When the lead vocal was cut, her said 'Jean Terrell had to do the whole thing right the first time, with the exception of a couple of cute riffs that were added.
    Perhaps as a nod to the time- no one can recall exactly, or can agree upon, why- a 'd' was added to the title."

Might Keith Hughes, or those who assisted him with TCMS series, be willing to give some further insight into the various theories/recollections by those who were there back in the day of why the 'd' was added. It has been said that Keith retains extensive notes from which the write-ups are sourced. We'd be honored if he joined the discussion.......
    Last edited by pj1; 08-28-2011 at 02:40 PM.

[QUOTE=uptight;64454]I'm pretty sure "stoned love" [[or stone love, however they intended to spell it originally) meant "love as solid as a rock," like the Ashford & Simpson tune LOL.

According to the author of the song, you are absolutly correct. In The Billboard Book Of Number One Rhythm & Blues Hits and repeated in the TCMS write-up, Thomas Kenny states " We had civil rights issues going on in this country Vietnam, drugs, 'make love, not war'. But stones are forever--they don't break or come apart. Love will be here forever. It's not important about color and things of that nature."
    In the Billboard book, Thomas recalls Frank Wilson coming to his home to hear again the songs he performed in the radio contest. Frank then asked if he had anything else and Thomas performed for him the song he was currently working on- Stone Love.
    Thomas asserts that Frank Wilson added about four lines to the song for continuity, hence his name appears also as composer.

Another question for Keith......
    Thomas Kenny recalls flying to New York to be present for Jean, Mary, and Cindy 's recording of vocals for Stone Love. [[Perhaps that has something to do with why he mentions that Jean had to get it right the first time- Supremes had to be somewhere else shortly to perform/ had just finished performing or perhaps they had only rented the studio for a specific time and time was running short, etc. )
    TCMS Vol 10 lists background vocals having been recorded at Golden World [[April 2, 1970) 23 days after the track was recorded. Do we know which set of backgrounds were used? Earlier [[Detroit), later [[New York) , or a combination of the two? It also indicates that final overdubs were recorded in Washington, D.C. date[[s) unknown - but there is no mention of the New York studio time for vocals or might this be the miscellaneous overdubs recorded June 8, 1970?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 4979
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Honest Man" is from France, if I'm not mistaken. That would be Western Europe Rather than Central Europe.

I always remember hearing "Stone" love, and wondering why it had a "d" on its end on the record. I also understood "stone" to mean solid. hard, fast, not able to be broken apart.

In slang during the late '60s and '70s, people used "stone" as an adjective to mean "very strong and powerful aggrandisement of whatever noun it was describing. [[i.e. She's a STONE fox!) sort of a replacement for "for sure-no doubt about it-better than great, etc.

I realized I had the sheet music to "Stoned Love"...another source that reaffirms the phrase to be just that..."StoneD Love".

Robb, thanks for the clarification of honest man's location.

I have no real knowledge on this subject but I wonder....
    With regards to Motown, was sheet music prepared [[cover photo selected, musical score printed, lyrics typed) well before a song is released, closer to its release date, after its release?. Does a company wait until a song's release to see if it appears to be winning wide enough acceptance to justify the expense of printing and distributing sheet music for the song? Or does it hedge its bet because it has a strong feeling/statistical evidence of a group's sales average to print sheet music well in advance?
    I really have not seen much written about this subject, although that information may have been discussed/ written about and I may have failed to take notice.
    Have those who have done extensive research into Motown's daily operation for the cd reissues of the past several years encountered any sales information about sheet music? Or viewed written evidence or heard verbal confirmation of how songs were chosen to receive this additional push?
    Just as with Motown's and other record companies planning releases and postponing/cancelling/vaulting the track, does the same also happen with sheet music?
    If the sheet music for Stoned Love was printed after the single seemed to/ was taking off in the charts, then the lyrics may have been typed/assembled by someone who merely saw the title already modified with the 'd', and may have assumed that that is the way the lead singer/group sang the phrase. He/she may have merely followed suit in the lyrics.
    It just seems odd to me that the songwriter Thomas Kenny , who was actively involved in the recording of the the song in most/all of its stages of recording [[his first big break).. and who was definitely present when Jean's vocals were committed to tape, would overlook the fact that Jean was not singing the word 'stone' as he had written and intended it. He obviously was an astute young man very cognizant of the world situation. Had Jean sung the word as 'stoned' the meaning of his song would be dramatically altered.
    Last edited by pj1; 08-28-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    I realized I had the sheet music to "Stoned Love"...another source that reaffirms the phrase to be just that..."StoneD Love".
    I have the sheet music, as well... and can play it on the piano. but the sheet music came out AFTER it was recorded... this is what is being discussed here, the changing of the name AFTER the recording, and before the release.

Pj1... the answer to the sheet music question is simple... the song needs to at least enter the hot 100 for sheet music to even be considered... and the company who did all of Motown's songs, Belwin Mills, would make that decision on their own. they just had an agreement with Motown, and gave them a cut of whatever songs they decided to print. Sheet music exists for 'I'm gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking", and I also own the sheet music for "Automatically Sunshine". So there had to be chart action for them to print up sheet music, the market for sheet music is not really huge, so they would not waste time, resources, ink and paper on something that might or might not be a hit.

honest man Guest
    Robb and pj1 i am fom England born and bred and very proud to be,thank you.

Views: 4887
Size:  21.1 KBSorry, "Honest Man", I guess I got you mixed up with another SDF poster. Maybe I just assumed that because you know so much about French Motown releases, and provided a lot of scans [[especially 45s with picture covers) and answered a lot of questions about them? Am I finally remembering correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 4887
Size:  21.1 KBSorry, "Honest Man", I guess I got you mixed up with another SDF poster. Maybe I just assumed that because you know so much about French Motown releases, and provided a lot of scans [[especially 45s with picture covers) and answered a lot of questions about them? Am I finally remembering correctly?
    Robb-K, you should have known! After all his name isn't "Honest Garcon!" Oh well, I guess he'll have to forgive you this time.

It's about drugs, partying and naked girls..........only kidding! hehehehehe....

It is a song, a prayer for peace, love and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I thought Honest Man might be referring to LET'S GO GET STONED written by Nick, with Val and Joshie Armstead. In that case, it meant going out and having some drinks.
    That is the song he may be referring too. When it came out , my father bought it and played it. As a kid did not know what they were talking about in the record.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Another question for Keith......
    Thomas Kenny recalls flying to New York to be present for Jean, Mary, and Cindy 's recording of vocals for Stone Love. [[Perhaps that has something to do with why he mentions that Jean had to get it right the first time- Supremes had to be somewhere else shortly to perform/ had just finished performing or perhaps they had only rented the studio for a specific time and time was running short, etc. )
    TCMS Vol 10 lists background vocals having been recorded at Golden World [[April 2, 1970) 23 days after the track was recorded. Do we know which set of backgrounds were used? Earlier [[Detroit), later [[New York) , or a combination of the two? It also indicates that final overdubs were recorded in Washington, D.C. date[[s) unknown - but there is no mention of the New York studio time for vocals or might this be the miscellaneous overdubs recorded June 8, 1970?
    PJ, that's Kenny Thomas [[from Pontiac,MI). He is on the internet. If I can track him down again, maybe we can ask him some of these questions.

In 1964 Ray Charles was arrested for possession of marijuana and heroin. He admitted himself to St. Francis Hospital in Lynwood, California, and was sentenced to 5 years probation. He responded to his drug use and reform with the songs "I Don't Need No Doctor", "Let's Go Get Stoned",with the release of his first album since having kicked his heroin addiction in 1966, Crying Time.
    In this context of the use of the word "stoned", it is actually what is called slang. Slang words are ....shall we say dynamic ,and are cultural in basis when used in a certain context. For example ,in urban context , solid waste from organic animals or humans is called shit. Shit = nasty ,waste ,spent solid matter, turds, garbage of the lowest form. However .....shit is also used as and recognized as fertilizer ,used to enrich soil to promote the growth of organic plants and crops, that we ALL eat to maintain lifes cycle. So when you say in urban slang ,that something is "THE SHIT" ,it means that this object ,[[a person ,place or thing?) ,is both so raw and basic ,excrement ,but also enriching at the same time. Slang in english or for that matter any language tend to be oximorons, words that mean both positive and negative things at the same time. So "Stone" would be in the present tense ,solid, saturated ,hard dense. "STONED" would be in the past tense, where as you would have something to have happend to get you to that condition. Ashford ,Simpson and Armsteads song song deals with getting to being stoned ,so that seems to be what Honest Man is referring to.
    Now back to stoned in the slang context. Stoned in slang means solid ,saturated , dense , yet it depends on the context as to what degree. Stoned when you are ingesting mind altering substances of any kind means you have gone to the limit that whatever you have indulged in can take you and still be semi coherent. Also know as drunk ,zooted ,fucked up. Stoned in this song means just that , but it don't mean anything unless you take the whole song in context. The song is a story of an indivdual dealing with hard times. He/She is overwhelmed with his issues that are not positive or gainfull. Might as well get high or "STONED" ,a temp solution , to put those issues aside. STONE LOVE is a love that IS ,present tense and beyond ,consistent.
    Example # 2-- Marvin Gaye , Sanctified Pussy , a woman you have carnal knowledge of ,and has naturally by nature the highest respect for ,but she makes you feel guilty as well as good to an extreme extent. Oximoron.................
    Thats why English is so complex a language.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 09-03-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Daddyacey,

Excellent thesis!

Daddy tell it!