[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: For Nona fans

RossHolloway Guest
    Thanks that is good news. I did have a think for her music when I was growing up back in the 80s..

Anyone else remember her song I Sweat [[going thru the motions)?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I don't remember that Nona Hendryx LP at all. I had it on vinyl, but can't recall anything about it. Why are these record labels releasing so many "left field titles?" Soulmusic.com has reissued some Tavares albums. Why? A perfectly good Tavares best of collection gives casual fans everything essential they need to hear from this group.
    I think this has become a way for music companies to make a profit from albums that didn't sell large numbers the first time.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 08-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.

I love Nona. That album is killer. The videos for the singles "I Need Love" and "If Looks Could Kill" are on Youtube. This album was the last she did for RCA, before moving over to EMI and gettting her biggest single "Why Should I Cry?"

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I love Nona. That album is killer. The videos for the singles "I Need Love" and "If Looks Could Kill" are on Youtube. This album was the last she did for RCA, before moving over to EMI and gettting her biggest single "Why Should I Cry?"
    I remember Keep It Confidential, I Sweat and Why Should I Cry. I had the vinyl LP but I don't remember it.

RossHolloway Guest
    Oh, I forgot all about the song Why Should I Cry. If I remember correctly that particular album had several nice cuts. I wonder if any of her songs are up on I-Tunes.

Yeah the album is on Itunes, either under the name "Female Trouble" or "Rough and Tough." I was a little disappointed in that record, honestly. It wasn't as adventurous as Nona's other records--although "Winds of Change" and "Pygmies' Confession" are killer songs.

"Keep It Confidential" was Nona's first solo single on RCA. I was in college and every person I played that album for went out and bought it. I went to see Nona at the Continental Club in Buffalo when it came out and you couldn't move it was so packed. That album should have been huge--it was, however, on the black charts for months and months, a slow but steady seller. Several songs from "Nona" have been sampled in rap songs, including "Transformation" and "Design for Living."

Nona is a fantastic writer and great singer--but I do think her "look" for that album was so punk rock that a lot of people were scared of her. I think her image was too strong for a lot of people. One thing I've noticed over the years is that it okay for male artists to look weird [[P Funk, David Bowie, Kiss, Cure, etc.) but the public just doesn't accept it from women. It seems like women have to be sexy in a traditional sense to catch on, whereas men can be works of art, for lack of a better word.

ladonna Guest
    I remember so looking forward to Nona's solo efforts, and of being so disappointed. I'll check her stuff out on YouTube; maybe I will experience a change of heart.

Very true BobC. Nona has refused to compromise. And she continues to have sooo much integrity in what she believes. She has refused to go commercial for sake of selling records only. Why LaBelle arent in the RandRHOF is hard to fathom, especially with a writer like Nona.

Ladonna--Nona had a habit of putting out a stellar album [["Nona") and following it up with a disappointing album [["Art of Defense"). I don't know why that was. Her Labelle stuff was much more consistent IMO.

Nona's finest album is her very last one, "Skin Diver."
    It is such an artistic and uncommercial album that I really appreciate the label released it.
    There is absoluetly no conpromise there.
    Of course, it did not sell and since then she has not have any contract.

I loved Skindiver--especially the single "Women Who Fly."