[REMOVE ADS]

Nick ashford dead at 70

Singer Nick Ashford has died at age 70, he was being treated for throat cancer.

Seems to be songwriter day, doesn't it? RIP Nick and thanks for the songs......

Hi this is kev-lo

someone just posted it on facebook, i'm so sorry to hear this R.I.P Nick

Old "Ypsilanti Nick"! What we use to call him because of his hometown. He really made an impact on our musical and cultural heritage. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I immediately heard "Don't Cost Ya Nothing" one of his and Val's popular songs from the 70's. I will always remember the first time I saw them in concert in 1977, what a show! Thanks Nick, God Bless You and rest your soul.

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Old "Ypsilanti Nick"! What we use to call him because of his hometown. He really made an impact on our musical and cultural heritage. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I immediately heard "Don't Cost Ya Nothing" one of his and Val's popular songs from the 70's. I will always remember the first time I saw them in concert in 1977, what a show! Thanks Nick, God Bless You and rest your soul.

Marv
    Marv, had no idea that he was from Ypsi. You learn sumthin new everyday

Does anyone know if Nick Ashford's homecoming service got postponed because of the Irene hurricane?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Does anyone know if Nick Ashford's homecoming service got postponed because of the Irene hurricane?
    It was postponed until this evening [[Monday).

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was postponed until this evening [[Monday).
    Thank you Reese.

Roberta

I hope someone from here can attend and report back to us on this very sad event.

Penny

You know his illness was kept very quiet and under wraps I didnt see or hear anything about it like we do others from the Motown groups. Did he just find out OR does anyone know if it was meant to be private? Even Valerie in her statement said she was shocked because he was only taking radiation from what I have seen not chemo!

ladonna Guest
    An emotional Valerie Simpson, one half of the famous motown songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson leaves the funeral service for Nick Ashford, at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, Monday Evening, August 29. The crowd backs off as she comes out of the church. She raises her right hand. People understand and everyone stays silent until she enters her car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ladonna, thank you for posting this picture. It makes me very sad for Valerie. I am sure it was a beautiful service.

Penny

She looks beautiful.

so sad. It must have come on real quick,however, with cancer of anytype sometimes the treatment can be just as bad as the desease.