[REMOVE ADS]

The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" was released 50 years ago today...

...Motown's first # 1 hit. The lives of millions forever changed!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    ...Motown's first # 1 hit. The lives of millions forever changed!

And it still holds up today. A true classic.

Roberta

Hope Mr Postman brings Forever More soon!...Paulo xxx

50 years, so hard to beleive.I wore that 45 out, also used it to give Mashed Potato lessons to my friends.LOL

We could have done with you attending our ballroom dancing lesson last night, motony! In between the waltz and the cha cha cha, out instrucor was asking if anyone could do the Mashed Potato, as he had to teach it to another class later this week. I directed him to one of the Wii [[sp?) dance games. My granddaughters challenged me to a Mashed Potato dance contest of their Wii last Christmas and I won! The thing is I'm so old now I can't remember the steps I performed..... LMAO

Does this mean it's now out of copyright?
    And I still think The Mashed Potato was the best of the dance crazes, [[and it was the main dance in the top Mod Discos in the '60's) and at 64 I can still do it :-)
    Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time", & Little Eva's "The Locomotion" were straight copies, as proved by the fact that they are now Jobete items.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Diamond View Post
    Does this mean it's now out of copyright?
    And I still think The Mashed Potato was the best of the dance crazes, [[and it was the main dance in the top Mod Discos in the '60's) and at 64 I can still do it :-)
    Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time", & Little Eva's "The Locomotion" were straight copies, as proved by the fact that they are now Jobete items.
    I'm not sure that's what that means. I had previously thought that the writers of "Please Mr. Postman" had to share credit with the writers of "Mashed Potato Time" because of how similar the PMP song's structure was to the earlier MPT. But I guess it was actually the other way around, MPT was the later hit and the the writers of MPT had to share credit with PMP. Still, regarding the copyright, the rights to MPT and Locomotion could have simply been bought up though an acquisition by Jobete later, though I don't know that for a fact.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-22-2011 at 11:18 AM.

I know that Motown wanted a piece of Mashed Potato Time and did get part of the publishing and "Brianbert" added to
    the writers' credits. But I do not hear anything on The Loco-Motion by Little Eva that sounds similar and haven't
    heard before that Jobete has the publishing on it.
    Motown were big on copying too--What's So Good About Goodbye by the Miracles [[Raindrops by Dee Clark), and
    several others I could cite.

Also, Please Mr. Postman was BEFORE Mashed Potato Time, which is why the Dee Dee Sharp hit has a quote and line
    about the Marvelettes' hit.

"Locomotion"??That certainly doesn't have any similarity to Postman.When I purchased the "Its Mashed Potato Time"LP in '62 it had Brianbert as part of the writers & Jobete as part of the publishing.

Dang--- I was 6 years old then .....................
    Dang--- I still have that original 45....

Now I know how Kenneth feels. Carlo, I kinda wished now you hadn't reminded us, hehehehehehehe.....!

Congratulations to the Marvelettes on this milestone. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now I know how Kenneth feels. Carlo, I kinda wished now you hadn't reminded us, hehehehehehehe.....!

Congratulations to the Marvelettes on this milestone. Amazing!
    Yeah! This is about the only place I can't hide my age!

Motown has NEVER acknowledged that The Marvelettes gave them their breakthrough ,first ever #1 Pop Hit on the Billboard chart..I just pulled out the vinyl "Greatest Hits" album from 1966[[had it since was new!) and even in the liner notes on the back cover,they treat "Postman" as just another Motown hit record..this has been brewing for a LONG time

And you know what else...The Greatest Hits lp doesn't even identify the individuals in the group. It never gives their names
    and neither did the lp "The Marvelettes" with the pink cover.

as kids we paid no attention to this, seemed harmless, but now, in retrospect,"it's clear as a highway sign"

Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time" was written in the same chord progression as "Postman", and Kal Mann intended it to be the follow up, but Jobete rejected the demo, so Dave Appel put it out on Cameo. Same goes for "The Locomotion" it was also written with the same chord progression, and was sued by Jobete. Interesting thing about that one is the flip, it's another King-Goffin rip-off; if anyone has heard "Well" the fipside of the Olympics "Western Movies", Little Eva's "He Is The Boy" is identical to, even down to the middle eight!