[REMOVE ADS]

dianesfan_1965 Guest

Go see "The Help"

It's a damn good movie. Oscar best get off his ass and pass 'em out!

I've been hearing a LOT of criticism about this movie because it grossly distorts history and...well, the concern is race-based.

Jesse and I saw it last week. I'm not sure about any distortion in history, although I did read something like that in some review, but we enjoyed it very much. I agree with Dianesfan, Oscars will be coming.

I read the book and LOVED it!! I will see it!!

smark21 Guest
    I'm sure it's a decent movie, but I"m tired of Hollywood movies about the civil rights era that places a well intentioned white person at the center of the story, rather than an African American. At least it's not a Mississippi Burning, a movie that portrayed the FBI as heroes of the struggle.

Here's a good article Nelson George wrote for the NY Times about The Help and other Hollywood movies of the Civil rights era that place whites as the protagonists and make African Americans supporting characters in their own struggle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/mo...pagewanted=all

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I'm sure it's a decent movie, but I"m tired of Hollywood movies about the civil rights era that places a well intentioned white person at the center of the story, rather than an African American.
    I didn't want to say this earlier, but this is exactly what the criticism of the movie was about. That, and that Black women in 2011 still have trouble getting major roles that don't revolve around being a maid or something like it.

Whenever they do put a Black person as the protagonist, it's pigeonholed as a "Black" film and doesn't get any mainstream push by the Hollywood machine.

ladonna Guest
    Oh, no! Another one of those? I'll pass.

The tragedy with these types of movies, other than elevating Whites to hero status again, is Hollywood appears to be unable to grasp the fact that yes, there were heroes of both races that made the Civil Rights Movement significant, and depicting each point of view authentically, would be a powerful demonstration of true human struggle and triumph. Approaching the subject matter in this realm would truly produce Oscar worthy material. I like the Nelson's discussion about the White restaurant owner risking the wrath of the White community, a community he obviously is a part of, and yet, giving way to the struggle, allowing Blacks to be served in his restaurant. What changed that allowed or forced him to yield to the Movement would be much more fascinating and educational to watch than another fictionalized account of Whites in white hats once again, rushing to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    Oh, no! Another one of those? I'll pass.

The tragedy with these types of movies, other than elevating Whites to hero status again, is Hollywood appears to be unable to grasp the fact that yes, there were heroes of both races that made the Civil Rights Movement significant, and depicting each point of view authentically, would be a powerful demonstration of true human struggle and triumph. Approaching the subject matter in this realm would truly produce Oscar worthy material. I like the Nelson's discussion about the White restaurant owner risking the wrath of the White community, a community he obviously is a part of, and yet, giving way to the struggle, allowing Blacks to be served in his restaurant. What changed that allowed or forced him to yield to the Movement would be much more fascinating and educational to watch than another fictionalized account of Whites in white hats once again, rushing to the rescue.
    I think it's simpler than that. The writers, or the studios still do not think White audiences will go to see a movie with a Black hero unless he's a cop or super hero, and then that cop or super hero is always created to be seriously flawed. There may be a bit of truth to that, but isn't this the same Hollywood that likes to push the envelope? Isn't this the same Hollywood that keeps trying to push gay issues?

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Isn't this the same Hollywood that keeps trying to push gay issues?

Push gay issues? You mean like EQUALITY? Something petty like that?

Quote Originally Posted by dianesfan_1965 View Post
    Push gay issues? You mean like EQUALITY? Something petty like that?
    Yes! I'm not saying there is anything bad about that. I am saying that it points to hypocrisy, that one group is promoted in art, while another is systematically discriminated against.

smark21 Guest
    In indie/art house cinema, you might see a variety of in-depth gay themes explored and characters portrayed, but in mainstream Hollywood? Generally gay characters are relegated to sexless best friend of the leading lady character, or homosexuality is used as some sort of gay panic joke in a bro-mance type comedy. TV is a different story.

Back on topic, while movies like The Help may be made with good intentions, they do let white audiences off the hook by whitewashing [[pun intended) history and not honesty confronting the racism that permeates throughout American history and society, relegating the racist characters to a couple of over the top, frothing at the mouth villians that no one could identify with.

uptight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Back on topic, while movies like The Help may be made with good intentions, they do let white audiences off the hook by whitewashing [[pun intended) history and not honesty confronting the racism that permeates throughout American history and society, relegating the racist characters to a couple of over the top, frothing at the mouth villians that no one could identify with.
    That is what makes the book and the movie fiction...