[REMOVE ADS]

1960's Theatre Venues: 7 Day Revues

A while back I posted a thread titled 'What Qualified As A Motown Revue' and during the run of that thread I posted up numerous old bill ads for venues such as the Apollo, Howard [[Washington) & Royal [[Baltimore) Theaters.
    Back then the only theaters that used to host week long soul artist engagements were the above 3 venues plus the Uptown in Philly, the Regal in Chicago and the Fox in Detroit [[anyone here got copies of ads for the latter 3 venues ?).
    The Howard, Royal & Regal all stopped hosting such revues in 1970 [[with the Royal being demolished in 1971). The Uptown ended its run of hosting live shows in 1972 with the Fox following suit later in the 1970's. Live shows also ended at the Apollo before some of these theatres were later refurbished & once again started hosting live shows.
    Anyone know when the Fox [[ahead of its return in 1988) last hosted a live soul show and when the last Motown show was staged there.

No response at all to this thread, most disappointing.
    How about this question then ........
    DJ "Jocko" Henderson worked for radio stations such as WSID,WHAT, WDAS, WLIB, WADO, WWRL + other stns between the 1950's & 1970's [[what stn did he work on in Detroit ?).
    Which radio stn was he working for in the 1960's when he presented this show at the Apollo [[W?VS) ....
    Attachment 3496

jsmith, that show looks like it would be in the mid-late 50's, by the artists listed.

You could be right ... HOWEVER .... an Apollo Show I do know the exact date [[March 31st, 1961) was another of Jocko's Rocketship Revue's & this featured Clyde McPhatter along with the Blue Notes, Baby Washington, Shep and the Limelites, Bobby Freeman and the Larks.
    From that date I guessed that the show I'm asking about could have been in 1960 [[maybe even as late as 1962) as no doubt Jocko's Rocketship Revue's [[at the Apollo) would [[I'm guessing) all have been in the same timescale [[1960 - 1962?).
    Mickey & Sylvia had their last national hit 45 in 1961 but Jesse Belvin's last hits were in 1959, so I guess 1959 must be a contender as well.

Other dates which may help to tie down when the above Apollo show took place ....
    February 5 1960 -- 'The Biggest Show of Stars for 1960' tour started with headliners being Clyde McPhatter, Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell ........... BUT ..........
    on February 6 1960, Jessie Belvin was killed in an auto accident near Hope, Arkansas
    ..... so the Apollo show must have predated this.
    So I guess it is looking more like a date in the late 50's for this show rather than the early 60's.

Other "Jocko" shows at the Apollo in 1960 were .........
    March 18 1960 >> "Jocko's Rocket Ship Revue featuring the Coasters, Dave "Baby" Cortez, the Isley Brothers and Luther Bond.
    July 1 1960 >> Jocko's Rocket Ship Revue featuring Ruth Brown along with Dante & the Evergreens, the Olympics, Ben E. King and Jimmy Jones.

Yet another relevant date .........
    September 2 1960 >> Jocko's Rocket Ship Revenue [[at the Apollo) featured Bobby Freeman, Jimmy Charles, the Spaniels and Danny & the Juniors.
    On the same day, Clyde McPatter and the Drifters appeared at the Howard Theater [[Washington) during a week long engagement.

So "Jocko" was hot [[show wise) at the Apollo in 1960.

It was between Nov and Jan . Take a close look at the picture.
    See the Christmas lights they run across 125th Street every year. The lights go up at Thanksgiving and come down around the 2nd week of January.