[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Great picture Loveblind. Thank you. Mary had it all.......

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    There's a great CD retrospective of her Jubilee work. Includes the whole "Serving Up Some Soul" LP as well as the entire unreleased "Come Together" LP, plus singles and unreleased sides. Very worth buying.
    Very true. This disc not only spotlights Mary's voice but also her writing and producing abilities.

ladonna Guest
    [QUOTE=nabob;62573]What about You Beat Me To the Punch, The One Who Really Loves You, You Lost the Sweetest Boy, What's So Easy For Two, etc. All of these songs rocked back in my days of the early 60s New York City. I don't feel the likes of Never, Never Leave Me & Me Without You from the 20th Century output to be inferior material or performances. The missing ingredient was promotion.

I think all of these are fine recordings, just in my opinion, they don't rise to the level of the classics Two Lovers and My Guy. I disagree about the recordings after Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hey, you know what? I had never that quote before now, but had heard that 20th Century promised her movie roles before. When I heard that repeated in Unsung, I immediately thought the same thing! It was 1964, they were competing with other record companies like Motown..........and they lied to get her!
    I think that "executive" is also quoted in the liner notes to the 20th Century Fox collection, "Never Leave Me." Disgusting that the fellow has so little remorse about deceiving a naive young girl like she was at the time. Even the older more experienced performers had such inadequate representation in those days.

ladonna Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    What about You Beat Me To the Punch, The One Who Really Loves You, You Lost the Sweetest Boy, What's So Easy For Two, etc. All of these songs rocked back in my days of the early 60s New York City. I don't feel the likes of Never, Never Leave Me & Me Without You from the 20th Century output to be inferior material or performances. The missing ingredient was promotion.

I think all of these are fine recordings; however, in my opinion, they don't rise to the level of the classics Two Lovers and My Guy. I disagree about the recordings after Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It was a good show. Very interesting. The one thing I didn't feel was necessary was the Diana Ross angle.
    When her obituary appeared in the LA Times, it was mentioned that Diane Ross, Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart all contributed to her medical bills.

When her obituary appeared in the LA Times, it was mentioned that Diane Ross, Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart all contributed to her medical bills.
    There was also a benefit in the works as well for Mary before she passed away.
    I saw Mary twice in person. The first time she didn't look so great. She and Ceciel along with her baby daughter Sugar came into the bank that I was working at to cash a check. I couldn't believe it was Mary because she looked very bad. Two years later she was appearing at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood California with Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin and Martha Reeves for the Dancing In The Street Tour [[available on DVD). She was a totally different person.

Mary Wilson, Anita Baker and Mary Wells

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    There was also a benefit in the works as well for Mary before she passed away.
    I saw Mary twice in person. The first time she didn't look so great. She and Ceciel along with her baby daughter Sugar came into the bank that I was working at to cash a check. I couldn't believe it was Mary because she looked very bad. Two years later she was appearing at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood California with Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin and Martha Reeves for the Dancing In The Street Tour [[available on DVD). She was a totally different person.
    I wonder if this was during the time Mary was battling drugs the first time you saw her rod-rick? Are you sure it wasn't Curtis Womack as she left Cecil for Curtis back in the mid to late 70's. I've been told Curtis Womack used to beat Mary Wells up during that time as well. What a sad life for such a lovely talented lady.

"What I came away with was that she made a lot of bad decisions in her life" I would have to agree on that one. Although God forbid my life ever be put on display because I would take the cake on that one.

smark21 Guest
    Here's a video of Mary Wells performing Two Lovers/Bye Bye baby at the Apollo.

uptight Guest
    Marv. I, too, remember signing that giant get-well card in Detroit for her. There was an Entertainment Tonight news spot that had just interviewed her. I believe it said Ross, Stevie and maybe Smokey were helping with medical expenses for Wells' recovery.

It was nice to see Mary Wilson interviewed. She looks good. Her appearance could clear up any mistake in identity just in case some folks get confused between these two Marys.

I have to agree with a poster above that "Never Never Leave Me" and "Me Without You" were good records. They should
    have been hits! She performed "Never" at least twice on TV [[Hollywood A-Go Go was the clip used). She also did it
    on Hullabaloo. "Me Without You" was done on Where The Action Is, Shindig, Al Hirt Show, and Hollywood A-Go Go.
    That's FOUR television performances! The record should have clicked.
    Again, lack of airplay was apparent and WHY???

Dear Lover is one of my all time fave records. Didnt hit top 40. Why????

luke, "Dear Lover" is a great record. Carl Davis brought in the Funk Bros. to Chicago to play. The record did hit the R&B top
    ten, but only hit about #52 pop.
    Again, lack of airplay!

Also, notice in the video of Two Lovers/Bye Bye Baby from the Motortown Revue at the Apollo--backup vocalists are
    the Temptations. This is when El Bryant was let go and before David Ruffin was brought in. The Love Tones had
    previously toured with Mary, but I believe one was killed in a car accident so the company sent the four Temps
    with her. They also backed her records in place of the Love Tones.

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    Marv. I, too, remember signing that giant get-well card in Detroit for her. There was an Entertainment Tonight news spot that had just interviewed her. I believe it said Ross, Stevie and maybe Smokey were helping with medical expenses for Wells' recovery.

It was nice to see Mary Wilson interviewed. She looks good. Her appearance could clear up any mistake in identity just in case some folks get confused between these two Marys.
    Uptight, you were there too? So many Motown stars were around that weekend as I remember. I remember my mother introducing us to Marv Johnson.

They also left out the recordings she did with Carl Davis as well as their romantic involvement. Mr. Davis chronicles this in his book.

Please don't confuse Cecil Womack[[Marys' 2nd husband from 1967-1977)with his brother Curtis Womack.Two very different personalities.Anyone that thinks that the powers that be at Motown, did not have a strong hand in the demise of her career, is very naive and /or doesn't know much about the record business of the 1960s when the 45RPM was king.Motowns attorneys' kept Marys career tied up in court for many months.Her first release on 20th Century Fox did not come out until the end of Oct.1964 thats a long time between releases.Mary had just turned 21 in May of '64, she was listening to older & supposedly wiser men.Another point I would like to stress is that Motown did not start heavily promoting the Supremes "Where Di our Love Go" until the knew for sure there were problems and Mary was leaving the company.

uptight Guest
    Yes, Marv. I was there at the record show. It would have been nice if Mary Wells had attended, but she learned she was too ill.

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    Yes, Marv. I was there at the record show. It would have been nice if Mary Wells had attended, but she learned she was too ill.
    I have a bunch of pictures from that day. Can you believe it's been so long ago now?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I wonder if this was during the time Mary was battling drugs the first time you saw her rod-rick? Are you sure it wasn't Curtis Womack as she left Cecil for Curtis back in the mid to late 70's. I've been told Curtis Womack used to beat Mary Wells up during that time as well. What a sad life for such a lovely talented lady.
    It had to be 1984,1985 or1986

Dear Lover was a hit in Philly. Nothing else ever got played by her and I was an avid teenaged listener to Georgie Woods.

Carl Davis has been interviewed by Peter Benjaminson for the bio he's writing on Mary. In Carl's book he writes that he
    worked with her for the Atlantic-Atco label, however, it has often been cited, possibly incorrectly, that Carl produced
    some of the 20th Century Fox material. "Me Without You" sounds like his production. "I'm Learnin'", issued as the
    B side to "He's A Lover", also sounds like a Carl Davis production. I believe the writers of that song were known
    Chicago writers too.
    Anyway, too bad he wasn't interviewed or mentioned in the program.

Nosey-Yep I lived in same area but I also heard The Doctor and the flip Cant you see...on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Nosey-Yep I lived in same area but I also heard The Doctor and the flip Cant you see...on the radio.
    Luke, Philly DJ's always had the talent for spotting and playing great records that may not have been hits or popular elsewhere. Case in point, Martha & the Vandellas "Third Finger, Left Hand" was a HUGE Philly hit on radio. Georgie Woods, Harvey Holiday, Butterball, Hy-Lit, Jerry Blaveat, Mary Mason, and on and on and on were some of the best DJ's I've heard..........outside of the Detroit-Toledo area of course <g>

Atlantic really didn't get behind the promotion of Mary, one reason they considered her an "outside" production.BUT even if the records like "The Doctor" got some airplay[[much more in the South, big in Carolinas & Ala.)if the distributors didn't properly market & stock it in the stores, it didn't sell....Motown had a lot of pull[[Barney Ales) with the big distributors.Ofcourse, if you were Motown this was good business sense it would have been bad for them dealing with their other artists if Mary had made it big.

Loved Hy Lit Marv--he had Brenda Holloway on his tv show singin Youve Made Me So Very Happy; I like that Mary was proactive-not a victim. She didnt hang around at Atco or 20th Century when she didnt get what she needed to succeed. And she kept creating opportunties for herself--she got a contract at Epic almost 20 years after her big success.

They should do an Unsung on Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I have to agree with a poster above that "Never Never Leave Me" and "Me Without You" were good records. They should
    have been hits! She performed "Never" at least twice on TV [[Hollywood A-Go Go was the clip used). She also did it
    on Hullabaloo. "Me Without You" was done on Where The Action Is, Shindig, Al Hirt Show, and Hollywood A-Go Go.
    That's FOUR television performances! The record should have clicked.
    Again, lack of airplay was apparent and WHY???
    This was touched on in the Mary Wells/UnSung episode;
    1. 20th Century Fox Records did not have the skill that Motown Records had in getting the disk jockeys across the country to play their records.
    2. "Never Never Leave Me" and "Me Without You" may have been pleasant songs but they dimply don't match the appeal of Mary's best work at Motown [[especially following up after "My Guy"). And since both songs did get some exposure on TV and yet still didn't click, this proves that they simply catch on with the public.
    3. Nelson George made a point during the UnSung episode that there were DJs who resented the fact that Mary Wells chose to leave Motown Records [[Black owned and independent) for 20th Century Fox Records [[White owned and part of a movie studio).

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Anyone else catch the Mary Wells Unsung episode last night? What I came away with was that she made a lot of bad decisions in her life, foremost getting out of her [[admittedly) unfair Motown contract in 1964 just as the company was hitting its stride. Mary Wilson, Janie Bradford and Claudette Robinson were among those interviewed.
    I watched it last night and thought it was very well done. What a shame Mary continued to smoke after her throat cancer diagnosis. It was very touching to see her kids speak about Miss Wells so lovingly. Mary Wells was obviously a very loving mom as well as being an exceptional performer.

TVONE will rebroadcast the show tonite at 9PM Eastern Time.

Is TvOne actually broadcast anywhere? I thought it was just an on line operation...

Jim, I have Bright House cable in Central Florida, I have a regular cable channel for TVONE & a High Def channel for it. Check with your cable company.

on the Facebook tribute page for The Marvelettes, we've started a campaign to fill the "UnSung" comments page with requests for a Marvelettes "UnSung" episode..please feel free to join in

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Jim, I have Bright House cable in Central Florida, I have a regular cable channel for TVONE & a High Def channel for it. Check with your cable company.
    How's things with the hurricane on the way? I hope it chills out by the time it gets up my way.

For those who don't have TV One or don't want to wait for a re-broadcast, you can watch the entire episode sans commercials on www.soultracks.com

we are nervous about the hurricane, but really feel for those in the Carolinas as that is where it now seems will get the brunt.Thanks for asking.

I was very proud to have the opportunity to record Mary's final album for MotorCity. I actually first met her when I came to Los Angeles in 1978. She was my neighbor when I moved in to an apartment building 840 N. Larrabee, right next to the studio I used most regularly, Larrabee Sound. She was always a doll when I would run in to her by the pool or in the lobby. I never dreamed that 10 years later I would be recording her.

She was a bit of a handful, like the time Rudy Calvo set up an elaborate photo shoot and she showed up for it 3 hours late after everyone had been sent home. We ended up using a photo shoot done for a magazine spread for her cover. In the studio, she was a sweetheart though and a true professional. We really had fun recording house style new songs, like "You're the Answer to my Dreams." I had no clue that the coughing and the clearing of the throat were anything other than hoarseness from being on the road.

I also experienced a little bit of that Lowrider adulation when she performed at Circus Disco to a jam packed audience screaming for more, from "My Guy" to "Gigolo." She was a special lady.

I'm sad the MotorCity moments were not included in the show, but I will treasure the memories. Here's Mary singing "Dreams" on a Detroit TV show.

http://youtu.be/UWtaMxfrMVY
    Last edited by sgianatos; 08-23-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Nice track. I'd never heard it before. It has a nice Giorgio Moroder-Casablanca type vibe without seeming retro. How lucky to have known her. Never heard anyone say anything bad about this lady, except that she took rotten career advice from those she was close to.

Nice track. I'd never heard it before. It has a nice Giorgio Moroder-Casablanca type vibe without seeming retro. How lucky to have known her. Never heard anyone say anything bad about this lady, except that she took rotten career advice from those she was close to.
    A film of her life story would be very interesting in my opinion.

We will have to see how Peter Benjaminsons book turns out.There is a Mary Wells Unsung facebook page ran by Marys daughter Stacy Womack-Henderson aka Noel Wells.I think a Marvelettes Unsung would be wonderful!

I have one question....Who was Smokey succefull with[[female wise, not group) after Mary??? My answer would be none...I think the "relationship" ran its course on both sides!!!

I think it would have kept going with Mary, the Wells-Robinson association would've continued much like Dionne Warwick
    with Bacharach & David. Smokey did work with Brenda Holloway, basically redoing some stuff he had done with Mary,
    but I think after Mary left, Motown didn't really get behind another solo female artist, at least not 'til Diana went solo.
    Carolyn Crawford said that she and her mother were called to a meeting and were told they, meaning Motown, were
    going to get behind either her, Brenda Holloway, or Kim Weston in a real big way and they should be ready.
    Never really happened although Brenda did have success, but nothing like Mary Wells had with Motown.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I think it would have kept going with Mary, the Wells-Robinson association would've continued much like Dionne Warwick
    with Bacharach & David. Smokey did work with Brenda Holloway, basically redoing some stuff he had done with Mary,
    but I think after Mary left, Motown didn't really get behind another solo female artist, at least not 'til Diana went solo.
    Carolyn Crawford said that she and her mother were called to a meeting and were told they, meaning Motown, were
    going to get behind either her, Brenda Holloway, or Kim Weston in a real big way and they should be ready.
    Never really happened although Brenda did have success, but nothing like Mary Wells had with Motown.
    See I thought it was at this meeting that I thought Motown cut her from the company [[early 1965) and another artist who's name I can't think of at the moment. And if you think about it, Motown seems to have really focused on all the groups more than the solo artists. With the exception of Marvin and Stevie, what other male artist broke out really big during the mid-late 60s?

Wow I heard the opposite. I heard these artists were told they were not going to be promoted because of money problems

That is what Carolyn said when I saw her several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    See I thought it was at this meeting that I thought Motown cut her from the company [[early 1965) and another artist who's name I can't think of at the moment. And if you think about it, Motown seems to have really focused on all the groups more than the solo artists. With the exception of Marvin and Stevie, what other male artist broke out really big during the mid-late 60s?
    In the liner notes for Carolyn Crawford's last [[?) single, in The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 4, she states that she and her mother attended a meeting with Berry Gordy, in which he stated that either she, Kim Weston, or Brenda Holloway would be chosen as the singer the label would really get behind. Crawford says they ultimately chose Weston and that her contract was not renewed after that. I think the single was When Someone's Good to You/My Heart.

Its amazing though that the company did NOT get behind Kim Weston or Brenda Holloway. "Take Me In Your Arms[[Rock Me A Little While" was a powerful record & should have been a huge hit. In the 70's when I had met DJ Frankie Crocker at a Bobby Womack event, he told me that Mary Wells was still Berry Gordys fave female singer & he didn't think Mr. Gordy would ever get over her leavin Motown.

It's also amazing that although Kim Weston's husband was Mickey Stevenson, the company didn't back her. She never
    had an lp.
    I think they were going to back Tammi Terrell, but then she became ill. She did have an lp, but never a hit single.
    Her only hits were the duets she did with Marvin.