[REMOVE ADS]

Remember the 1990's? Good, Because They're Back

Remember the 1990s? Good, Because They're Back
    By Claire Suddath Friday, Aug. 12, 2011

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...#ixzz1V1ClL0TA

This article is about TV although it does reference music but it started me thinking. 1990 was 21 years ago but 21 years ago, many of us [[myself included) were seen as old by the newer generation….think about that one for a sec.

Anyhoo, that lead me to this question…and it’s actually for the older crowd more so than the younguns [[although feel free to join in)

When [[approximate year) did you stop listening to the radio and or start thinking contemporary music sucked?

Top Pop Hits Of the 90's
    Lists of top 10 pop songs for each year of the 1990's with descriptions.
    http://top40.about.com/od/hitsofthe9...Of_the_90s.htm

100 Greatest R&B Songs of the '90s [[this is a subjective list so please keep that in mind while reading)
    http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...-song-90s.html

First, I'd like to address the question you posed:

I never stopped listening to the radio, I just changed stations. I'd grown up with New York's classic black radio stations like
    wbls and later 98.7 Kiss Fm but in roughly 1989-90 I went straight back to jazz radio almost exclusively. It's not that I didn't
    like black soul and pop music anymore just that most of the stuff I liked on those stations I either owned or was hearing everywhere all the time. As far as when I thought contemporary music was beginning to suck I can pinpoint it 1992 when
    Mary J Blige's What's The 411 dropped. I got it as a gift and after one listen gave it away. No disrespect to her fans but how
    she got to be as big as she became and still is, I should add, is completely beyond me. With Mariah Carey also getting heavy
    airplay I was finished. I did stll like hip-hop back then and liked The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground but when gangsta
    rap took over I knew I needed better food for my earholes. There were some things by some of the gangtas that I liked because I thought they had some "artistic merit" but it got to the point where people were confusing a song's created character with a real life protocol and I couldn't listen to much of it anymore.
    Anyway after reading that article I remember much of the 90's as a time when in popular music creativity took a back seat
    to flash. Reading about New Kids On The Rock and Backyard Boys getting back together I can only ask:

WHY?????!!!!!.........

Interesting Splanky.

After looking through that 90's R&B list I realized I cut back on radio listening around the 90's with the exception of Motown Mondays, Jazz, Fusion and Smooth Jazz. I stopped listening consistently after MP3 players came out [[96/97 I believe)

Now if I listen, it's net radio and never top 40. [[at least not by choice)

Reading about New Kids On The Rock and Backyard Boys getting back together I can only ask:

WHY?????!!!!!.........

if and when there is a demand for something, that demand will usually be filled....shrugs

So now that I think about it, the better question is, when did people stop listening to Top 40 radio/contemporary/r&b/soul?

oops...posted info in wrong thread...sorry