[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations back in Billboard 200

Hi,

The Temptations are back in the Billboard 200 this week.

The Best Of The Temptations- Volume 1-The '60s: 20th Century The Millennium is a new entry at number 200.

Of course, this album has been out for ages and is platinum [[1 million sales).

And, their Icon title is still in the R&B chart after 48 weeks [[number 36 this week). That makes it more successful than all their recent studio albums.

Ed

Thanks for posting this.

Yes, this is an accomplishment. The Temptations definitely have ended up being the most popular of the Motown groups.

It's too bad the sales are so weak these days; I saw that at #7 Kelly Rowland only sold 74,000 copies; #200 might be lucky to move 1000 copies; but nonetheless, they've made the chart again!

Was this recently re-released? I wonder why it would chart again, after been out for so long? Does anyone know exactly how the Billboard Charts work anymore? I just wonder how accurate figures are.

It's too bad the sales are so weak these days; I saw that at #7 Kelly Rowland only sold 74,000 copies; #200 might be lucky to move 1000 copies
    If she sold 74,000 copies out of the trunk of her car at 10.00 a pop she'd be 740,000 dollars richer [[less overhead of course)

That "only sold" metric is a major label industry construct. It doesn't define success for an artist anymore it only represents the companies bottom line.

I'm not a fan of the woman's music but I do know she's selling CD's and getting work....that's not only success in this day and age, it's phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    If she sold 74,000 copies out of the trunk of her car at 10.00 a pop she'd be 740,000 dollars richer [[less overhead of course)

That "only sold" metric is a major label industry construct. It doesn't define success for an artist anymore it only represents the companies bottom line.

I'm not a fan of the woman's music but I do know she's selling CD's and getting work....that's not only success in this day and age, it's phenomenal.
    AMEN! I have seen artists selling their own CD's at concerts and events for years now. None of it is tracked through Billboard and the artists gets to keep the majority of the proceeds!

Yes, I definitely agree Kelly Rowland is a success. And she is a very rare person ~ probably the only female background singer that has become a mass market success. Quite an achievement. She definitely has gone where Mary and Flo wanted to.

Billboard on their comprehensive chart will list what sells. It wasn't re-released Mary although the Icon series is fairly new. As I recall, these "old" titles can't make the standard chart, only the comprehensive chart. The Temptations definitely still sell a few CDS; as do Marvin, Stevie and Diana.

Jody Watley

The Temptations have stood the test of time. Great group, great songs, great legacy.

The ICON cd's are from 2010. They are in the sales in Holland for 4.99 euro each. They all have about 12 tracks, like the ancient vynil albums! I lik the artwork though, never before saw a good color pic of The Supremes among the pink blocks [[shot black dresses, golden broches). I think it was the cover of the 45 WhereDidOurLoveGo in most countries. On the back they wear long pink gowns on some US tv show.
    Look up the Facebook page of Stephen Woods, he knows the exact name for all the Supremes gowns! He owns all the invoices for them as well...

The Temptations album, The Best Of The Temptations- Volume 1-The '60s: 20th Century The Millennium, climbs up to 154 in this weeks Billboard 200 [[from 200 last week).

See..quality will WIN everytime [[in the end)..Paulo xxx

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes, I definitely agree Kelly Rowland is a success. And she is a very rare person ~ probably the only female background singer that has become a mass market success. Quite an achievement. She definitely has gone where Mary and Flo wanted to.

Billboard on their comprehensive chart will list what sells. It wasn't re-released Mary although the Icon series is fairly new. As I recall, these "old" titles can't make the standard chart, only the comprehensive chart. The Temptations definitely still sell a few CDS; as do Marvin, Stevie and Diana.
    Actually Kelly Rowland did sing lead parts on a number of Destiny's Child songs, including some big hits [[as did Michelle Williams to a lesser extent) so she got a chance to do more in the act and have the public get to know her voice than Mary, Flo or Cindy did in the Supremes days. Still, if you check out DC videos on youtube, you will find fights from fans complaining about Beyonce is always the center of attention and would never allow Kelly or Michelle to sing a full lead on a song. BTW, Michelle has done alright as well as she's pursued a career in the Gospel/Inspirational music market. I think both Kelly and Michelle have benefitted from having better managers than Mary and Flo did when they were getting their solo careers off the ground.

Back to topic: I wonder what role The Temptations miniseries [[which is still shown a lot on cable) has on the long lasting sales of Temptations music.

That mini series has had an HUGE impact on the sales of Temptations music! There was a time in the very recent past where it seemed that it was shown weekly on VH-1. Young, young people on Youtube seemed to be fascinated by the story and the group. Some have even created their own homemade videos re-enacting some of the scenes from the mini-series. Some also took the mini-series as the Gospel truth regarding the Temptations story unfortunately.

Update on the US charts:

The Temptations Millenium collection continues to climb the Billboard 200. It went from 149 to 143 this week.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Jody Watley
    Another good one is Telma Hopkins. While her success can't be measured in music sales, Ms. Hopkins has gone on from "background singer" to an actress that has appeared in several top rated television series: "Bosom Buddies", "Gimmie and Break", "Family Matters", "Half and Half", and "Are We There Yet".

One might argue that Sheryl Crow has built a career from abeing a background singer. She worked in the mid 80's as a vocalist for Michael Jackson's "Bad" tour. She's gone on to be a multi platinum selling solo artist.

We may as well mention Martha Wash who started her career as a background singer for disco drag diva Sylvester. Martha went on to record "It's Raining Men" as "The Weather Girls", then had her vocals jacked for C and C Music Factory, Black Box and Sweet Sensation.

Usually when the topic is successful background singers I always mention Telma. She has had a very successful career. She is a background singing success story if there ever was one. It seems as if singing has taken a back seat to her acting. Does she ever perform as a singer anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Usually when the topic is successful background singers I always mention Telma. She has had a very successful career. She is a background singing success story if there ever was one. It seems as if singing has taken a back seat to her acting. Does she ever perform as a singer anymore?
    Every so often, she reunites with Tony Orlando and Joyce Vincent.

With regards to the Temptations, I also feel that their mini series has played a huge part in their recent successes. That movie is on weekly. Its always on BET/CENTRIC or VH1.

You are absolutely right Skool. Their sales were reignited by that miniseries and have never stopped since.

It's kind of a shame that something similar could not have been done to dump some money into the hands of Supremes that could use it ~ but that has just never seemed possible.