[REMOVE ADS]

No Matter What Sign You Are on Ed SUllivan

It's almost like they knew this was a bomb. With a throway performance with lousy camera work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0MND...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It's almost like they knew this was a bomb. With a throway performance with lousy camera work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0MND...eature=related
    Luke,
    It's funny, but I can remember as clear as day watching that performance the evening it aired. It was still the sixties, so it was still a pretty big deal to see them on. I don't remember though if we liked the song or not. We were kids, so we probably did. LOL!

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I like it a lot. Apart from the vocals, I think it's a great song, I love the sitars, and the staging foreshadowed the glitter of the early 70s.

I like you, 144man, never afraid to speak out!

Actually, I think the song with different lyrics would have been fine. It's just too cheesy with the inane lyrics and the stupid chants of the zodiac signs in the background, and Diane's "Ow's!" are just so forced sounding. She's a great singer, but one thing she is not, is a soul singer. I will say it has more urgency live than on the record, which has a really pallid feeling.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-06-2011 at 12:36 AM.

You're not alone, 144 man. This has always been one of my favorite Supremes records. It was among the batch of 45s that my folks bought for my first suitcase record player. It was a great pleasure [[many years later) to see this Sullivan performance.

I always prefer this song over the dreadful "Composer." Now that was a bad song!

Anyway, I always though the instrumental of this track was top-notch and Diana really lets her vocals soar, especially toward the end when she sings "Yes, you are! Hold me tight."

Did you all notice how the audience gasped when they walked out, and Mary got that big grin, and her body language was all like... "I know... we're the shit, ain't we?" Those outfits were pretty dazzling. I think the song just wasn't right for The Supremes... I'm just gonna say it, I think that song would have come off much better if Gladys Knight and the Pips would have done it, and gave it a harder edge.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Did you all notice how the audience gasped when they walked out, and Mary got that big grin, and her body language was all like... "I know... we're the shit, ain't we?" Those outfits were pretty dazzling. I think the song just wasn't right for The Supremes... I'm just gonna say it, I think that song would have come off much better if Gladys Knight and the Pips would have done it, and gave it a harder edge.
    I didn't notice that at first, but I've been in that theater and the stage is VERY close to the front rows of the audience. It is not nearly as big in there as it appears on television.

Gladys Knight & the Pips? Hmmmm... interesting concept. Maybe it would have worked for them, perhaps if they changed some of the background lyrics like the chanting of the zodiac signs.

You know what group that song would have really worked for? The Jackson 5! Yep! I can imagine Michael doing that song easily.

I loved "No Matter What Sign" and i still do...

Ramone Verona Guest
    Even I wanted to wear those glitter garbs!
    One of my favorite songs; especially the stereo version!
    Psycho was "In"-O!!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always prefer this song over the dreadful "Composer." Now that was a bad song!"
    During the 60s, I used to compile a weekly list of my favorite records, so the line in "the Composer" - "the number one song in my personal chart" - means something to me.

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by some of the comments above. Previous threads on "No Matter What Sign You Are" have been overwhelmingly negative.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I like you, 144man, never afraid to speak out!
    Thanks....it's great to be able to exchange differing opinions without any rancor.

i liked the song!

I love this song! I always thought that this clip of Mary, Diana and Cindy was one of the best like Always! When they come out and [[yes you can hear the audience gasping like Jillfoster said) Mary and Cindy look so happy. I can swear Mary is on here with the Andantes but what do I know, they look much happier here than their appearance on Sullivan when they did Love Child. The Love Child appearance where they were on the steps always looked forced to me like they didnt want to be there or something. Here its like they won the lottery or something and I think they thought this song would be a big hit. I sometimes wonder would it have done better if it had been promoted when Hair came out by the Cowsills it sounds a little cheesy today where as the Cowsills ..Hair holds up much better but its a good song with great vocals from Ross and whoever is on the background. I see nothing wrong with this appearance or the song it should have gone top 20 at bare minimum it did get airplay in the DC area I heard it on oldies stations in the 80s as well but not as much as Baby Love.

Stephanie, I thought at first that the background on the clip was definitely Cindy and Mary, that it sounded different than the background on the 45. It certainly would be a comedown to have to lipsync to the Andantes on live television, though I imagine that had to happen at times. But on further listen, in comparing to the 45 clips on YouTube, they definitely are the same. I wonder if the Andantes, when knowing whose tracks they were recording, tried to sound like the more well known background singers.

On another thought, I'm amazed at how many of you came out of the closet to say they like this song! Now I'm in the minority, I guess!!!
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.

I don't think the Andantes are on this track. It doesn't sound anything like their trademark Andantes sound with the three harmonies. I always felt it was Julia and Maxine Waters or another set of ladies, but no Andantes.

No Matter What...was getting airplay on NYC's Top 40 powerhouse Music Radio 77WABC AM for several weeks, close to a month and then it was gone, just didn't stick...
    same process happened previously with "The Composer" on WABC, which I also liked very much,although neither song came on like gang busters from the first sounds, the way that "Reflections","Love Child" and so many others did, and at top 40, the first ten to thirty seconds was life or death..

What killed it for me with the Composer was those horrible backgrounds! Hey Hey Hey.....LOL
    I love Ross and the music but those backgrounds were way too mechanical they didnt sound human Mary and Cindy could have done those songs. I know some say Ross could be with two other girls and it wouldnt matter but contrary to popular belief image was important then [[not as much as it is now) and the Supremes were one of the few girl groups [[unlike the Cookies, Ronettes, Marvelettes, Angels, Chantels,,,etc) that every household knew their names like the Temps. Its not the fault of the other girl groups it is just that they were announced that way and after More hits By the Supremes [[the album) it was written in stone heck the public even knew Cindy Birdsong and to give Motown credit that was saying something!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    What killed it for me with the Composer was those horrible backgrounds! Hey Hey Hey.....LOL
    I love Ross and the music but those backgrounds were way too mechanical they didnt sound human Mary and Cindy could have done those songs. I know some say Ross could be with two other girls and it wouldnt matter but contrary to popular belief image was important then [[not as much as it is now) and the Supremes were one of the few girl groups [[unlike the Cookies, Ronettes, Marvelettes, Angels, Chantels,,,etc) that every household knew their names like the Temps. Its not the fault of the other girl groups it is just that they were announced that way and after More hits By the Supremes [[the album) it was written in stone heck the public even knew Cindy Birdsong and to give Motown credit that was saying something!
    When you have a singer with the last name of Birdsong, you have something to work with. Remember the Supremes Hollywood Palace episode they did in early 69 where Diana and Cindy exchange a joke about the name and later on one of the guests makes a comment about the name while doing some patter with Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    No Matter What...was getting airplay on NYC's Top 40 powerhouse Music Radio 77WABC AM for several weeks, close to a month and then it was gone, just didn't stick...
    same process happened previously with "The Composer" on WABC, which I also liked very much,although neither song came on like gang busters from the first sounds, the way that "Reflections","Love Child" and so many others did, and at top 40, the first ten to thirty seconds was life or death..

Jimi, you are right about the 10-30 seconds of a records intro could spell life or death on Top 40 Radio. Well, Sean Conrad who was a DJ on one of the most popular Top 40 stations in the sixities, [[WKNR) Keener Radio Detroit, just joined SDF and has a thread on the main forum. He can verify exactly what you are saying here.

ladonna Guest
    NMWSYA possessed a certain kitschy appeal; I think it was intentional. The Composer just wasn't a strong song, which is surprising considering the work Smokey accomplished with the Jean Supremes. It also, was too cutesy pie for a group who's last big hit was Love Child.

I have heard many times that the Supremes slipped because of Florence's and HDH's departure. I have always felt that HDH's leaving Motown was detrimental to the Supremes during this time frame; however, I never felt that Flo's departure was very significant. Her leaving may have been meaningful to the die-hards, I was a die-hard, and I wasn't put off by her departure; however, the buying masses couldn't have cared less. The Supremes slipped because the material just wasn't as strong as it had been. If Florence's departure was so significant, Love Child and Someday would not have hit. That said, do you think the Supremes could have continued on with Miss Ross, if their next song would have been Ain't No Mountain High Enough, or if Frank Wilson had produced their next album with Miss Ross's voice in mind? Would they have repeated the resurgence in popularity similar to what happened with You Keep Me Hanging On? Remember, they had slipped somewhat prior to YKMHO was released as well. Could the Miss Ross led Supremes have remained relevant and hit makers well into the Seventies; or was it time for them to go their separate ways?

I don't think a Ross led Supremes could have lasted much longer had they stayed. It was just one of those things that was meant to be. Like the Beatles.

I do think that a Mary Wilson led Supremes revivial could have happened post Motown 25 in the 80's. I think Wilson and Birdsong should have gotten together, grabbed one of the other FLOS, and hit the road. There was a whole Motown-esque revival around that time, between the specials, and the hit cover versions of their songs. It could have possibly led to an album deal. And to think of what the Supremes would have looked like in the eighties?!

Sadly, it was a cash cow that unfortunately never got milked.

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    NMWSYA possessed a certain kitschy appeal; I think it was intentional. The Composer just wasn't a strong song, which is surprising considering the work Smokey accomplished with the Jean Supremes. It also, was too cutesy pie for a group who's last big hit was Love Child.

I have heard many times that the Supremes slipped because of Florence's and HDH's departure. I have always felt that HDH's leaving Motown was detrimental to the Supremes during this time frame; however, I never felt that Flo's departure was very significant. Her leaving may have been meaningful to the die-hards, I was a die-hard, and I wasn't put off by her departure; however, the buying masses couldn't have cared less. The Supremes slipped because the material just wasn't as strong as it had been. If Florence's departure was so significant, Love Child and Someday would not have hit. That said, do you think the Supremes could have continued on with Miss Ross, if their next song would have been Ain't No Mountain High Enough, or if Frank Wilson had produced their next album with Miss Ross's voice in mind? Would they have repeated the resurgence in popularity similar to what happened with You Keep Me Hanging On? Remember, they had slipped somewhat prior to YKMHO was released as well. Could the Miss Ross led Supremes have remained relevant and hit makers well into the Seventies; or was it time for them to go their separate ways?
    Don't think the supremes would have lasted much longer with Ross. The supremes had become Diana and her 2 backup singers. Now if they would have become an actual group again then maybe, but where they wer in 1969 it never would have worked

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Don't think the supremes would have lasted much longer with Ross. The supremes had become Diana and her 2 backup singers. Now if they would have become an actual group again then maybe, but where they wer in 1969 it never would have worked
    They would not have lasted another year in my opinion. Their sales were slipping, giving them a hit or miss situation. The act had become stale and one sided featuring Ross too much at the expense of us being able to enjoy "The Supremes" and homicide within the group was always a distant option! LOL!!!!

I guess I'm in the minority because I like both "No Matter What Sign" and "The Composer". AND..the background vocals on The Composer are my favourite. I always liked the, "CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!" part.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority because I like both "No Matter What Sign" and "The Composer". AND..the background vocals on The Composer are my favourite. I always liked the, "CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!" part.
    Carlo, "No Matter What Sign You Are" was good little groovy song for start of the summer that year as I recall. Fit in well with what some others were doing at the time like Sly & The Family Stone, the Temptations and others. "The Composer" , I haven't heard that song in many, many years so it's hard for me to make a call. But what I do remember is that Motown was releasing so much stuff on the Supremes that that song just sort of came and went without a lot of fanfare. I also don't recall them ever performing it on television anywhere.