[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

How pressures of the road can break up groups

I read this blog post below about how life and pressures [[and boredom) of the road can lead to tensions in bands and groups and break them up. The focus of the article is on rock band Kings of Leon, whose lead singer had a meltdown on stage this past weekend in Dallas. Shortly thereafter the band cancelled the remainder of its US tour and band members are urging the lead singer to check into rehab to deal with a drinking problem.

Would you say the same pressures exist for classic soul/r and B groups, either today or back when they were ruling the charts and airwaves?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...-cancel-tours/

"Would you say the same pressures exist for classic soul/r and B groups, either today or back when they were ruling the charts and airwaves?"

Hell yeah , as far back as The Impressions who became Jerry Butler "and" The Impressions unbeknown to the group ,but by way of the record company. Same with first Clyde McPhatter and then Ben E King with the Drifters. Sly and The "Family" Stone used to live together until meddiling industry people and drugs came into the picture. Sylvester ,Martha and Izora , L.T.D. and Jeffrey Osborne ,Teddy ,Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes ,Chaka and Rufus and [[I gotta say it) The Supremes and Diana Ross and The Jacksons/Michael,all succumed to break up's from business and ego issues. Exceptions are the Top's ,The Dells ,The Whispers and O'Jays. It's a curse of success. Someone outside or drugs are always the reason for pressures once a group becomes popular.

ladonna Guest
    From this, is it being inferred that we can no longer blame Miss Ross for the break-up of the Supremes? Instead, it was being on the road that caused the infraction?

The Blog read as follows :
    " Bands break up because they burn themselves out, they burn out their friendships, they burn out their creativity, and they burn out their own reserves of purpose and energy. And all too often it is a case that those around them have facilitated this burn out, by over-working them. It’s an insecure life with an uncertain future, and when the work is there, and there is money to be made, the impulse is to press on whatever the cost" .
    That was the basis of my observation and I was not inferring anything specific in regards to Ms Ross.

How did the Dells and Tops transcend?

The dells and the tops are rare exceptions,but it's not always the rigors of the road like with ben e.king it was problems with management[george treadwell].

The "road" is a lot tougher than some realize, especially if you are on an intense schedule where you gotta keep moving All that travelling and not having enough time to do simple things can cause some to go crazy or have meltdowns. I used to think riding in a bus was easy until I did it for 25 or 30 consecutive days. There are times, you don't know where you are. You can lose track of time and place; Everything starts to look the same and you get sick of eating the same things. You're cooped up in a bus or a van and can't move about freely and little things others do begin to get on your nerves. Different personalities always seem to clash. I can see how some drink to excess or turn nasty.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-05-2011 at 01:33 PM.

I used to interview musicians and when I met the temptations and the o'jays, I could not help asking them about that.

Eddie said "Well, we could not keep our marriage but we kept our kids" and laughed[[this was long before he lost his sons).

Otis: What do you mean? You think I should retire?
    me: No, I just like to know how it is like being so constantly on the road for such a long time. How do you keep your private life intact?
    Otis: Well, this is my life style.

There is no doubt about their life style putting lots of pressure on their family members too.

I used to do lots of business trips and usually got to a hotel late, and in some areas, restaurants closed early like 9 or 10pm, in that case I had to eat something from the room service, and after 11 or 12PM their menu could be very limited. So I always ate burger delux or club sandwich alone in my room, then I had to sleep in the room where everything was compeletly unfamilier, which could make me feel loney and I could understand why some musicians develop their dependency to alcohole, drug and sex.
    Last edited by blue; 08-05-2011 at 06:02 PM.