[REMOVE ADS]

Gene McDaniels - RIP

It appears from the news on the internet that Gene McDaniels died on Friday, July 29 at the age of 76. Gene is best known for his huge hit "A Hundred Pounds of Clay" in 1961. He had several other sizeable hits as a singer in the next couple of years after that. He also had success as a songwriter, penning "Feel Like Makin' Love" for Roberta Flack and "Compared to What" for Les McCann & Eddie Harris.

Ah , yes! I remember him. Back during my record collecting days, I bought his album with "A Hundred Pounds of Clay". He was a great singer from a era when guys sang clean, with an strong emphasis on good vocals. I did not know he wrote that monster hit for Roberta.

Rest in Peace Gene and thanks for the music!

Marv

Here is another one of my favorites by Gene giving his best bad boy, then back track vocals LOL! "A Tower of Strength" everyone:

Gene's website confirms it.
    http://genemcdaniels.com/

Another great voice silenced...RIP, Gene, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

So sad to hear this.

Gene McDaniels was an amazing creator of music and musical situations. He had a magical sense of the adventure of music and was always encouraging artists to fly farther and reach higher. Greatly responsible for introducing Scherrie and I to many of the wonderful musicians and arrangers who worked on "Partners", he allowed us the respect of building songs from our piano arrangements up, building around strong ideas that we had, and helping us to see the possibilties in each song, each vocal, each arrangement. He helped us to rise above our own expectations, and personally he helped me to focus on my strengths as a singer, writer and producer. Always innovative, always concerned about the fine quality of sound, and always pushing for the best that technology could create, Gene was a gem: a singer who understood singing, a writer who had a sensitivity beyond the average, and a producer, who could dig deep and come up with masterful feelings, great perceptions, and artistic revelations. Bravo, Gene. You will be greatly missed. Rest In Peace.

The number of artists we have lost recently is beginning to get a little overwhelming. Too many my age or a little older. Gene McDaniels has always been one of my favorites. Here's one of his that is in my top 25 of all time!

Another Tear Falls -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhyVoX1GPHM

Oldies

Here is one of Gene's television appearances on the sixties show "Shivaree" performing "Walk With A Winner". Great voice:

RIP Gene...You were definitely A Tower Of Strength! Thanks for all the good years

I love his song The Point of No Return he was a bright man! Very much ahead of his time, listen to some of his later funk work quite different.

Another Tears Falls

Gene McDaniels R.I.P.