[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Garland Green

Garland Green

It's a shame that this man didn't become more popular, he's got a beautiful, rich voice. Who here likes him?

His "Jealous Kinda Fela" from 69 is one of my faves. That's the only track from him that I have heard though. Could you suggest some other material? ,or was that his only album. He does has an excellent voice.

Hi!

Garland has records at least on ten labels since 1967, including four albums, and he's releasing a new CD soon.

Best regards
    Heikki

LOVE Garland...anything by him is worthwhile!!

Best,

Mark

I love Garland too. Discovered him last year when I got my hands on The Very Best Of Garland Green from Kent and can't seem to get enough of him. Listen to at least something by him every day. The manner in which I appreciate the CD reflects how my tastes have developed during the last couple of years. I've been a 60's soul fan for many years now but have steadily begun listening to more and more 1970's and 1980's soul. Garland's career spans all three decades and he recorded some great vocals during all three.

I think what I like about his singing is this yearning, honest way of singing, he uses his voice to convey different emotions [[especially the yearning ones, this is soul after all!) very effectively.

Do you have any favorite recordings? I'd single out "Girl I Love You", "I've Quit Running The Street", "Let Me Be Your Pacifier" and "You Make Me Feel So Good".

I'm a fan of Garland Green's music. Here's a few of my favorites ..

Produced by Syl Johnson, and the string arrangements by the late Donny Hathaway.

This was a pretty huge hit for him in 1974. I remember seeing him performance this on Soul Train.

I just found this recent clip of Garland lip syncing his hit "Jealous Kinda Fella."
    I'm not sure what show this is from,but I thought it was cool. [[notice the cellphone)

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  21.1 KB
    I love Garland's singing, especially his earliest work with Jo Armstead [[Gamma/Revue/Uni) and his Cotillion work.

OMG! '69 was my year! This song reminds me of those times riding in the car with the one I loved at that time. Too sweet. Love house his voice cracks on the first "I love you".

A terrific Swamp Dogg / Gary US Bonds / Charles Pitt song with a great storyline - He Didn't Know [[He Kept On Talking) by Garland Green
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLDnps_Myg

Also recorded by Sandra Phillips, and by Dee Dee Warwick as "She Didn't Know [[She Kept on Talking)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvr8KES3w0
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 08-01-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Ramone Verona Guest
    garland green reminds me of the better days of "RAMBLIN' ROSE".....

I loved the Jeaulous Kind Of Fellow record! Many years ago, summer 1978, flying to
    Los Angeles from Orlando with a stop for fuel in Dallas, a woman boarded the plane
    with some friends and ended up sitting next to me. She turned out to be the
    sister of Garland Green. She asked me if I had heard of him and of course I had.
    We had a lot of fun talking and laughing the entire flight.
    I was with my friend Susan who was my dance partner on American Bandstand
    and that's why we were headed to L.A.
    Anyway, I can't remember his sister's name, but she invited us to the restaurant
    she worked in, Hamburger Hamlet, but we never made it. She had actually been
    visiting friends or family in Dallas and was returning home to L.A.
    So...that's my GG connection