[REMOVE ADS]

Girl group special

smark21 Guest
    Thanks. I was there earlier today for the Symposium which consisted of a panel session in which members of The Exciters and The Angels talked about their careers during the classic girl group hey day; an interview with Leslie Gore, which was outstanding; and a panel fondly remembering Ellie Greenwich. I plan to return later to see Gore, LaLa Brooks, and Ronnie Spector perform.

Wow-I wish Id know about this sooner-Id be there-

There's a few Brits that have gone over to New York for this event!

Lala Brooks is on now....sublime!

Luke...it's still got some time to go...get on down there.

Crazy about the La La!!

PS Leave it to the Brits a continent away to get there first!!

Luke

There's something in what you said there and I do agree that us Brits tend to dwell a little more on the past. I listened to that show almost all day and recorded much of it...it was simply wonderful. It was sure worth the 13 hours flying time to see that show.

I only heard about it cos I got an email from Velvelette Bertha........I don't think the event made it to a thread on SDF...if it did, I certainly missed it

Hey Boy, thought you'd like to know that Cal, Bertha and Betty sang together last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUE4doDgL6I

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    Hey Boy, thought you'd like to know that Cal, Bertha and Betty sang together last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUE4doDgL6I
    That was very special! It was so good to see Betty Kelly singing with them again. Thanks brother_love!

brother-love

Whooooosh!

WOWEE!

Thank you Brother_love. That performance has made my day!

I wish I had been there too but how wonderful that it was captured on video

A friend who has a list of the songs performed has graciously allowed me to post this:

The Exciters [[representing Queens) - Tell Him; A Little Bit of Soap

Arlene Smith [[representing the Bronx) - I Love You So; Maybe

Baby Washington [[representing Harlem) - The Time; That's How Heartaches Are Made

Louise Harris Murray [[of The Hearts & The Jaynetts; representing the
    Bronx) - Sally Go 'Round The Roses

Nanette Lacari [[of Reparata & The Delrons; representing Brooklyn) - Whenever A Teenager Cries

Beverly Warren [[representing Queens) - Let Me Get Close To You [[?)

Toni Wine [[representing Washington Heights/Manhattan) - Groovy Kind of Love

Margaret Ross [[of the Cookies; representing Coney Island/Brooklyn)
    - Chains; I Never Dreamed; Don't Say Nothin Bad About My Baby

Maxine Brown [[representing Harlem) - All In My Mind; Oh No Not My Baby; We'll Cry Together

The Angels [[representing Orange, New Jersey - based in Manhattan)
    - My Boyfriend's Back; Thank You And Goodnight

Barbara Harris [[of the Toys; representing Queens) - May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone; A Lover's Concerto

INTERMISSION

Lala Brooks [[of the Crystals; representing Brooklyn)
    - I Wonder; Little Boy; There's No Other Like My Baby; Girls Can Tell; Da Doo Ron Ron

Leslie Gore [[representing Brooklyn & Tenafly, NJ)
    - Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows; Judy's Turn To Cry; She's A Fool; It's My Party

Ronnie Spector [[of the Ronettes ; representing Harlem)
    - Baby I Love You, Walking In The Rain; Back To Black; The Best Part of Breakin Up; So Young;
    I Can Hear Music

INTERMISSION

ELLIE GREENWICH TRIBUTE [[Eliie was from Long Island)

The Exciters - He's Got The Power; Do Wah Diddy

Leslie Gore - Look of Love; Maybe I Know

Toni Wine, Mikie Harris, Jean Thomas, Ula Hedwig, others - Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry

Ula Hedwig - A Fine Fine Boy

Lala Brooks - Then He Kissed Me; River Deep - Mountain High

Ronnie Spector - Chapel of Love; Be My Baby

WHAT A LINE UP! WOW!!!!

smark21 Guest
    I was there for the last half of the concert. I got there as Leslie Gore took the stage. I caught her set, Ronnie Spector's set [[which was dedicated to Amy Winehouse) then the tribute to Ellie Greenwich, which included The Exciters singing "He's Got the Power" and "Doo Wah Diddy". The lead singer of The Exciter still has powerful vocal chops. Leslie Gore then came on to do "Look of Love" and "I Hear Music". Both were charming. Next the background singers for the night did "Today I Met the Boy I'm Going to Marry" and "The Boy is So Fine". Next up was La La Brooks, who performed "And then He Kissed Me" and "River Deep Mountain High". La La took the night and the show with River Deep. Best performance I've ever heard of that song. She was on fire. She looked great and had strong stage presence. Supposedly this was the first time LaLa has ever sung the song live and she was more than up to the challenge. After LaLa the organizers presented a BMI plague/honor to Ellie's sister. Then Ronnie closed the show with "Chapel of Love" and of course "Be My Baby". Lincoln Center did a fine job putting together the program. Here's a youtube of Ronnie Spector performing Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" in conjunction with "Best Part of Breaking Up". I hope someone will upload River Deep to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfbna-f-9Q

smark21

As Frankie Lymon would sing...."You're a Fortunate Fella". WFMU broadcast much of the show but the performances from Ronnie was limited to "Baby I Love You"

smark21 Guest
    Here's LaLa Brooks singing Da Doo Run Run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWjPJh2_UQ4

smark21 Guest

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    A friend who has a list of the songs performed has graciously allowed me to post this:

The Exciters [[representing Queens) - Tell Him; A Little Bit of Soap

Arlene Smith [[representing the Bronx) - I Love You So; Maybe

Baby Washington [[representing Harlem) - The Time; That's How Heartaches Are Made

Louise Harris Murray [[of The Hearts & The Jaynetts; representing the
    Bronx) - Sally Go 'Round The Roses

Nanette Lacari [[of Reparata & The Delrons; representing Brooklyn) - Whenever A Teenager Cries

Beverly Warren [[representing Queens) - Let Me Get Close To You [[?)

Toni Wine [[representing Washington Heights/Manhattan) - Groovy Kind of Love

Margaret Ross [[of the Cookies; representing Coney Island/Brooklyn)
    - Chains; I Never Dreamed; Don't Say Nothin Bad About My Baby

Maxine Brown [[representing Harlem) - All In My Mind; Oh No Not My Baby; We'll Cry Together

The Angels [[representing Orange, New Jersey - based in Manhattan)
    - My Boyfriend's Back; Thank You And Goodnight

Barbara Harris [[of the Toys; representing Queens) - May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone; A Lover's Concerto

INTERMISSION

Lala Brooks [[of the Crystals; representing Brooklyn)
    - I Wonder; Little Boy; There's No Other Like My Baby; Girls Can Tell; Da Doo Ron Ron

Leslie Gore [[representing Brooklyn & Tenafly, NJ)
    - Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows; Judy's Turn To Cry; She's A Fool; It's My Party

Ronnie Spector [[of the Ronettes ; representing Harlem)
    - Baby I Love You, Walking In The Rain; Back To Black; The Best Part of Breakin Up; So Young;
    I Can Hear Music

INTERMISSION

ELLIE GREENWICH TRIBUTE [[Eliie was from Long Island)

The Exciters - He's Got The Power; Do Wah Diddy

Leslie Gore - Look of Love; Maybe I Know

Toni Wine, Mikie Harris, Jean Thomas, Ula Hedwig, others - Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry

Ula Hedwig - A Fine Fine Boy

Lala Brooks - Then He Kissed Me; River Deep - Mountain High

Ronnie Spector - Chapel of Love; Be My Baby

WHAT A LINE UP! WOW!!!!
    Not just these, but several of the various background singers look quite familiar?!