[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smark21 Guest

Mary Wilson at Coney Island

Just got home from seeing Mary perform at an outdoor concert in Coney Island. She was on the bill with The Spinners. Mary opened the show. The concert got off to a bit of a rough start as the show started a half hour late and Mary had some issues with her soundpacks. Also, security seemed reluctant to let people on stage for the Be A Supreme segment and Mary had to tell them to let the people get on stage. However by the time she got into her 70's Supremes segment, the show began to run smoothly and Mary seem to settle into her groove. For me the highlight was Stoned Love. Never heard it live before. Not too many people in the audience seemed familiar with it, but the song is so infectious and Mary's performance was so strong that by the end people were really into it. Mary got a standing for I Am Changing. She delivered a fine show. Since I had a long subway ride, I decided to skip the Spinners and head home. My loss, I suppose. I hoped they did a good job.

Mary's setlist:

Love Child
    My World is Empty
    You Can't Hurry Love/Come See About Me/Back in My Arms Again
    Fields of Gold
    Bad Case of Loving You [[prefaced by band intros and a costume change for Mary)
    Be A Supreme segment [[Baby Love/Stop!)
    Bad Weather
    Stoned Love
    Walk the Line
    I Am Changing
    Someday We'll Be Together
    Encore: Satisfaction/Brown Sugar
    Encore II: Last Dance

I was also there and thought Mary was in truly great form. I love her but this is not a fan review. She keeps getting better and better and the audience loved her. I think there is still the surprise that she has such a powerful voice. I thought her version of "I Am Changing" from Dreamgirls was the best she has ever sung. Contrary to what you heard, there were many people around me who DID know Stoned Love and sang along. The only number that the audience did not know was "Bad Weather" which makes sense. I have seen her many times but I thought this was one of her best, a very tight show...and she looked absolutely glorious. The large screens over the stage illuminated that fact.

Great reviews from both of you. Mary always delivers.

cleoharvey, did you stay for the Spinners and if so did they sing Working My Way Back to You/Forgive Me, Girl? I love me some Detroit Spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by cleoharvey View Post
    I was also there and thought Mary was in truly great form. I love her but this is not a fan review. She keeps getting better and better and the audience loved her. I think there is still the surprise that she has such a powerful voice. I thought her version of "I Am Changing" from Dreamgirls was the best she has ever sung. Contrary to what you heard, there were many people around me who DID know Stoned Love and sang along. The only number that the audience did not know was "Bad Weather" which makes sense. I have seen her many times but I thought this was one of her best, a very tight show...and she looked absolutely glorious. The large screens over the stage illuminated that fact.
    Cleo, everyone around me seemed to know "Stoned Love" too. I've heard her sing it many times before but never like tonight, never sounding this great! From the intro to the end, it was perfect. Her musicians are top class all the way. She knock this entire show not just out of the ballpark ,but out into the ocean that was directly behind us LOL!

why "Bad weather"? that was a total stiff,and i never cared for it

smark21 Guest
    Well there was a threat of rain last night so BW could have been an appropo. Still, she could have performed Nathan Jones or Floy Joy instead.

Where I sat, the people around me just didn't know Stoned Love, but they got into it and that's what counts.

Mary sounded great. She sang in her natural range and her phrasing skills were excellent. Best I've ever heard her on the Diana and Jean led songs.

as per "Bad Weather" ,coming from the genius of Stevie Wonder, that was a HORROR!...that was the best he could give them? he must have known that was going to flop,there's no energy to it, horrible, no wonder Jean left...

Nice reviews, glad to hear she was in good form. Its always nice to read something positive about a trouper. Any comments on the New Spinners ?

I wonder why she didn't sing her latest release? Did she at least promote her new-ish single?

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Nice reviews, glad to hear she was in good form. Its always nice to read something positive about a trouper. Any comments on the New Spinners ?
    The New Spinners, let me tell ya........they are REALLY NEW! What I mean by that is it was a bit eery for me to be sitting there watching one of my favorite groups from when I was a kid and realize that most of the group is now younger than me or at least looked like they were hehehehehehe.....

But they were very good! They continue the Spinners tradition through Bobby Smith and Henry Famborough by heavy interaction with the audience and their stage humor. The gentleman that did a good portion of the lead singing sounded good. I would have preferred them singing more from their own repetoire than the several cover versions of songs by Sam Cooke and others.

Bobby held up well on "I'll Be Around" with a little duetting from Henry. They all still do the steps pretty well. The standout for me last night was "Sadie". It was superb!

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    why "Bad weather"? that was a total stiff,and i never cared for it
    She sang it, "Bad Weather" the last time she performed at Seaside. It's has a jazzy, bluesy type feel to it and she sounds good doing it. She mentions Jean Terrell and Cindy Birdsong several times.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder why she didn't sing her latest release? Did she at least promote her new-ish single?
    She pulled back for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She sang it, "Bad Weather" the last time she performed at Seaside. It's has a jazzy, bluesy type feel to it and she sounds good doing it. She mentions Jean Terrell and Cindy Birdsong several times.
    Mary was also very slim, trim and looking hot!

Great photo of Mary with her back up singer and a fan from backstage at last nights concert.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Any footage from the show?

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Any footage from the show?
    Brooklyn Borough Pres., Marty Markowitz had professional camermen there, so I know it was taped but not sure if or when footage will become availabable.

smark21 Guest
    Well unlike indie concerts I attend, I didn't see anyone around me recording parts of the concert with their smart phones and if anyone was, they haven't uploaded it to youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Well unlike indie concerts I attend, I didn't see anyone around me recording parts of the concert with their smart phones and if anyone was, they haven't uploaded it to youtube.
    Cameras were banned according to security and the signs posted before entry. We had cameras all the same, but they were not allowed.

Mary is going up and down with the weight but I have to give her credit she trims down every six months and she looks great she has aged better than a lot of her peers. Im glad she decided to do I am Changing after Walk the Line that is a great idea. She usually gets the crowd worked up with Walk the Line and they have never heard it [[most people) except us Supremes fans. Good set list I wish she would do Nathan Jones more too but it seems her reviews are great.

ladonna Guest
    Where is your review of Mary's portion of the show, Marv2? Do you have another perspective?

ladonna Guest
    She pulled back for a reason.

What reason?

ladonna Guest
    According to Wikipedia, MCU minor league baseball stadium in Coney Island holds 7500; how was attendance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCU_Park

smark21 Guest
    The concert wasn't held at the minor league baseball park. There was a game that night anyway.

The Coney Island summer concert series is being held on a lot just to the west of the baseball stadium. I would say there were about 1000-1500 there Thursday. I hope to go see Aretha Franklin there this coming Thursday. I'll ask one of the venue people what is the audience capacity space when I go there. But I can't imagine it holding more than 2000. In no way is the space as large at the Great Lawn at Central Park or the Lawn at Prospect Park.

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    According to Wikipedia, MCU minor league baseball stadium in Coney Island holds 7500; how was attendance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCU_Park

My company built that Stadium for the Cyclones. The concert was not at the Cyclones Stadium, so try again.......LOL!

ladonna Guest
    Whichever, how was attendance?

Whichever, how was attendance?

Attendance was great.

ladonna Guest
    Care to wager in numbers?

Care to wager in numbers?
    So many questions. Maybe you should have went to the concert.

ladonna Guest
    Maybe. Care to offer a guesstimate?

Everyone here are a few clips from Mary's truly magnificient concert recently at Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY!

Although, it is nothing like being there, these clips will give you some idea of how great Mary sounded that night:

"Someday We'll Be Together"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyKgUneZAU

"Walk The Line"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtT6W...eature=related

"I Am Changing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gHdX...eature=related

Enjoy!!!

I love that song "Walk the Line." I liked the whole album--certainly worlds better than her first solo record.

Gosh she sounds great! Many people wished they could sound and look that good for their age.

I'm with you, Steph. That note she hits in "I am Changing" is magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I'm with you, Steph. That note she hits in "I am Changing" is magnificent.
    Miss Wilson gets better and better with age. Someday and I am Changing are amazing. Walk the Line seemed a poor choice of song at a free outdoor concert and based on the youtube clip, appears to be lost on the folks who attended.

I agree. Mary reminds me of Nona Hendryx--Nona has become a much, much better singer over the years than she was in her twenties/30's, and she looks great too! Same with Mary Wilson. Does anybody know if Mary still smokes? I really think smoking did a number on her voice in the late 60's and 70's--but she certainly has gotten it back. Good for her!

Mary quit smoking years ago. Aretha followed her at Coney Island! Not bad company!.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Gosh she sounds great! Many people wished they could sound and look that good for their age.
    Stephanie, this guy could only get glimpses from the jumbotron screens. If you could have seen this show in person, you would have been startled by how good she looks and how slim she is right now. I always believed the test and proof of a good singer is the reaction they get from a live audience. While Mary was singing "Someday We'll Be Together" there were people shouting like they do in some churches...."sing it! sing it ....and sing that song etc!" Urging her on......and she delivered! For a moment it felt like I was back in Detroit watching a show LOL! I hope someone puts up Mary doing "Stoned Love" from that night.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary quit smoking years ago. Aretha followed her at Coney Island! Not bad company!.
    That's true. By the way Aretha quit smoking too! I would to hear them do a song together.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I agree. Mary reminds me of Nona Hendryx--Nona has become a much, much better singer over the years than she was in her twenties/30's, and she looks great too! Same with Mary Wilson. Does anybody know if Mary still smokes? I really think smoking did a number on her voice in the late 60's and 70's--but she certainly has gotten it back. Good for her!
    Nona Hendryx in a word is EXCELLENT! Not the type of video clip I like to view, but sometime check out the clip of Luther Vandross' funeral services where many notable singers join together to sing his "The Power of Love /Love Power". I am talking Aretha, Patti, Dionne, Alicica Keys, Cissy Houston, Patti Austin, etc ,etc. then after they, for the most part are finished, you hear this unmistakeable wailing voice rise up out of the crowd, you can't see her, but it is none other than Nona Hendryx. She sang "we got the best love, all of the power, etc,etc" It truly gave me chills!

I like BAD WEATHER. But Melissa Manchester's version is far superior production wise.

ladonna Guest
    Ummmm..?

Great videos! I especially enjoyed "I Am Changing"! Thanks for sharing, Marv!

I'm with you, Marv. Nona gets better every year. Do a search on "Gypsy Moths and Nona Hendryx" and you will find a vid of Nona doing that song live--she gives Patti a run for her money! I really love it when the underdogs come into their own.

smark21 Guest
    Everyone here are a few clips from Mary's truly magnificient concert recently at Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY!

Although, it is nothing like being there, these clips will give you some idea of how great Mary sounded that night:

"Someday We'll Be Together"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyKgUneZAU

"Walk The Line"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtT6W...eature=related

"I Am Changing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gHdX...eature=related

Enjoy!!!
    Reading the comments on the videos for Someday and Walk the Line, I see that Detroit Lives 313 has resorted to homophobic insults. Perhaps it's time for Mary to repost her Tweet about fans' youtube comment posts?

Who cares what he thinks?

Smark21

Are they the comments of detroitlives313 that you refer to? Those ones contained very bad and threatening language.

I would warn others before accessing those links

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Smark21

Are they the comments of detroitlives313 that you refer to? Those ones contained very bad and threatening language.

I would warn others before accessing those links
    Marv2/Detoitlives313's comments are homophobia at it's worst theboyfromxtown. Very sad that bigotry and hatred is still alive in 2011. May God forgive him.

That was one of the best concerts this summer! I wished I could have the complete show on DVD!

Marv--I knew Nona sang at Luther's funeral but I never knew which song. I looked it up on Youtube and you are exactly right--that is clearly Nona at the end and she is taking no prisoners! I am so proud of her. Nona may not have the range of a Patti Labelle or Scherrie Payne, but she takes a back seat to nobody when it comes to sheer vocal fire power.

Is the person that made those comments on youtube as detroitlives313 the same Marv2 that posts here on SDF and on this thread?

And is this also Marvin Davis that is shown in a picture with Janie Bradford and others and posted by marv2 on the thread headed "Happy Birthday to Mr. Al Abrams aka "Stalebagel !!!"
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 08-15-2011 at 05:51 AM.