[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson : Interview DELUXE!!!!!!

I am telling you all. you don't want to miss this interview! It is absolutely AMAZING! I will warn you however, it is very LONG filled with a lot of Mary's and the Supremes music. She talks about EVERYTHING!!!! It is also VERY recent as she mentions the Misicordia University Gown Exhibit and her stint in Vegas at the Riveria! Check it out!!!!

http://harmonystreet.webstarts.com/mary_wilson.html

RossHolloway Guest
    Did Berry Gordy really reject Aretha Franklin as a recording artist?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Did Berry Gordy really reject Aretha Franklin as a recording artist?

Yes he did! He was however interested in her sister, Erma and recording her at Motown.

I read he was more interested in Erma.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I read he was more interested in Erma.
    Erma was hot in those days in more ways than one! hehehehehe......

Mary Live in Vegas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary Live in Vegas!!!
    That photo isn't from the Riviera. Where was this taken and how old is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    That photo isn't from the Riviera. Where was this taken and how old is it?
    Excuse me? I am going to tell you this one last time. I don't need to lie. Go here, scroll 1/5 of the way down the page and click on the picture:

http://marywilsonworld.com/

Whats with this person? The board had gotten so nice for awhile. Thx Marv for interview. I could only get half way thru it. Any intersting info?

Excuse me? I am going to tell you this one last time. I don't need to lie. Go here, scroll 1/5 of the way down the page and click on the picture:

http://marywilsonworld.com/
    I have been to the Riviera and that is not their stage. I think the wrong photo was mistakenly uploaded.

Whats with this person? The board had gotten so nice for awhile. Thx Marv for interview. I could only get half way thru it. Any intersting info?
    This person has a name. That was exceedingly rude.

I really don't know what is with this person other than constantly following my every post with a weak-kneed jab of some sort. But anyway, the interview is probably close to 3 hours long. She talks about RTL, Berry, The tour with Rolling Stone Bill Wyman, Florence, growing up in Detroit with Flo and Diane. She talks about the Primettes more than I have ever heard speak of them. She covers so, so many subjects to list here at the moment.

Marv:
    Thanks for sharing this. Always great to hear from Mary who, unlike some people who apparently now post on this forum, has always been a class act and a capital L Lady. Mary is a true treasure.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by stalebagel View Post
    Marv:
    Thanks for sharing this. Always great to hear from Mary who, unlike some people who apparently now post on this forum, has always been a class act and a capital L Lady. Mary is a true treasure.
    Al
    You're welcome Al. It really is a great, entertaining and informative interview.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Yes he did! He was however interested in her sister, Erma and recording her at Motown.
    I always liked Erma's voice better, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I always liked Erma's voice better, for whatever reason.
    Jill if you get the chance to listen to the interview, you will be surprised by all of the areas the interviewer touches upon and Mary's responses. Be prepared to relax, get a drink or whatever because it is a quite lengthy interview. Almost like sitting around someone's living room having an extended conversation.

I believe the reason he was interested in Erma and not Aretha is because in those days you wanted Top 40 Radio to play
    your records. Aretha sounded too gospel for the market at the time. Erma sounded more "pop".

She is currently working on a fourth book, which will be a coffee table hardcover featuring the gowns, history and legacy of the Supremes.

This has been long rumored; I hope this comes to fruition! I would LOVE it!

She is currently recording another album due for release in 2010

How old is this interview? I can't wait until "Clarity" is released! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I believe the reason he was interested in Erma and not Aretha is because in those days you wanted Top 40 Radio to play
    your records. Aretha sounded too gospel for the market at the time. Erma sounded more "pop".
    According to Billy Davis [[Berry's songwriting partner), they wanted to sign Aretha to a deal. She would become a teenage star singing their compositions. But her father, Rev. C.L. Franklin, thought she was too young at the time. But he consented to them recording Erma, who went on to do early versions of YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES and ALL I COULD DO WAS CRY.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    She is currently working on a fourth book, which will be a coffee table hardcover featuring the gowns, history and legacy of the Supremes.

This has been long rumored; I hope this comes to fruition! I would LOVE it!

She is currently recording another album due for release in 2010

How old is this interview? I can't wait until "Clarity" is released! Yay!
    This interview is from June 18, 2011 so it is from just last month.

It [[the coffee table book), is not a rumor. Two years ago Mary told me that she is working on the coffee book. I shared that information here and a few people that use to be members here didn't believe me and told me that I was lying.

The CD, "Clarity" is scheduled for release in the U.S. in 5 weeks.

I'm excited to hear that "Clarity" will be released in 5 weeks. Marv, do you know if it will be available on Mary's web site or commercially [[i.e. amazon)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I'm excited to hear that "Clarity" will be released in 5 weeks. Marv, do you know if it will be available on Mary's web site or commercially [[i.e. amazon)? Thanks.

I'll ask her when I see her tonight and let you know. Thanks.

I'll ask her when I see her tonight and let you know. Thanks.
    Oh please let us know what Mary says about the release date for her Clarity CD. Would you mind asking her when it will be in itunes and if she's doing Letterman, Conan or ET to promote Clarity. Please tell Miss Wilson we all send her good wishes for tonight.

Thank you marv2.

Roberta

I didn't realize Mary's Vegas show had all the lights and dancers. Looks like a big production. I may have to check her out in Vegas next time she is there.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    According to Billy Davis [[Berry's songwriting partner), they wanted to sign Aretha to a deal. She would become a teenage star singing their compositions. But her father, Rev. C.L. Franklin, thought she was too young at the time. But he consented to them recording Erma, who went on to do early versions of YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES and ALL I COULD DO WAS CRY.
    Reese, I read that too somewhere, I just can't remember at the moment. I do remember that Rev. Franklin was against Aretha signing with Motown but thought that Columbia Records was better suited to introduce Aretha to the World.

I read it in Mark Bego's book on Aretha, which included an interview with Billy Davis.

Marv thanks for the interview. Mary just keeps going she must have a good agent.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I read it in Mark Bego's book on Aretha, which included an interview with Billy Davis.
    Ta DA! I have that book also. That must be where I read. Thanks Reese.

Im surprised Berry didnt go for Carolyn as I recall she had Dianaish like voice.

Im surprised Berry didnt go for Carolyn as I recall she had Dianaish like voice.
    All of the Franklins could sing. Back around this time, the very early 60's, Diana's voice was not selling records at Motown and I don't believe many people were that impressed with her high-pitch, whiney sound by then. Carolyn was a great singer and songwriter.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I didn't realize Mary's Vegas show had all the lights and dancers.
    LOL. It didn't skooldem1. Mary performed at the old La Cage theatre at the Riviera Hotel which is now called the Starlite Theatre.

The Starlite theatre seats 600 and although Mary gave a fabulous show there wasn't a light show and there were no dancers.

The photo that marv2 posted above is actually Cher at the Colieseum and not Mary at the Riviera. [[see link below)

http://web.mac.com/bazhalpin/Gallery/Cher.html#38
    Last edited by Roberta75; 07-31-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Well to be fair. That photo was uploaded on the Mary Wilson website- and I might add, its very hard to tell who it is. This seems like a case of shooting the messenger, when in fact the blame should go to who ever put that picture on her website.

Well to be fair. That photo was uploaded on the Mary Wilson website- and I might add, its very hard to tell who it is. This seems like a case of shooting the messenger, when in fact the blame should go to who ever put that picture on her website.
    I don't think there needs to be any blame skooldem1 but the photo I commented on was the one posted by marv2. I knew as soon as I saw it that it wasn't the Riviera stage. Whoever uploaded the photo to the Mary Wilson website should really take it down as there are probably royalties attached to the Cher photo.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 07-31-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Mary's show seems perfect for Vegas. Old timer with plenty of glitz and talent. How was the attendance for her shows?

What's all the deviousness around pictures about?

It doesn't change the fact of who appeared where.

Mary's show seems perfect for Vegas. Old timer with plenty of glitz and talent. How was the attendance for her shows?
    According to a friend of mine who saw the show twice, Mary put on a great show. Attendance was good. She didn't sell out but he said it was between half and 3/4 full on both of the nights that he attended.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What's all the deviousness around pictures about?
    I'm not sure anyone was being devious jobeterob, I think it was a simple mistake. A photo claiming to be Mary Wilson live in Vegas was actually a photo of Cher at the Coliseum in Las Vegas.

Mary at Treasure Island

Apparently Mary performed on Treasure Island, off Florida's west coast, this past
    Saturday night, July 30th. We only heard about it a day or two before so didn't
    have plans to be there.

talk about false advertising. i learned absolutely nothing new from this yawner of an interview and that picture was so obviously false of "Mary Wilson" on-stage. and the thread starter is always barking that he knows Mary so well and is such a fan. i sure see what so many others have stated down through time.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chestersong View Post
    talk about false advertising. i learned absolutely nothing new from this yawner of an interview and that picture was so obviously false of "Mary Wilson" on-stage. and the thread starter is always barking that he knows Mary so well and is such a fan. i sure see what so many others have stated down through time.
    The Cher in performance in Vegas picture was initially posted at a site set up to promote Mary's soon to be released single and album. Someone should get in touch with whomever administers that site and let them know they are misrepresenting Mary and to take down the picture and substitute a picture of Mary in performance. Mary is a good looking woman, so it would certainly not be a visually unappealling picture.