[REMOVE ADS]

Motown & Soul Albums IN VIET NAM & the FAR EAST

Recently, I discovered a part of soul music history I didn't know. Apparently, during the war in Viet Nam, there were a lot of American Soul music albums produced for Viet Nam and other parts of the Far East. These albums- I guess they were bootlegs - were created to sell to American servicemen, who purchased them for a few dollars to have musiic that reminded them of home. A colleague had a whole box full that he gave me for the American soul museum. It seems Motown was very popular. I saw a pressing of the Supremes Greatest Hits on the Chun King label with a thin paper cover with just Florence Ballard; There was another copy of Marvin Gaye's How Sweet It Is in which Marvin appears Asian.
    Does anyone else collect these unusal viny pressings or know of ther origins?

I had a copy of the Supremes' WE REMEMBER SAM COOKE album with a thin paper cover, and yellow vinyl. But I don't know if it is a part of the series that you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I had a copy of the Supremes' WE REMEMBER SAM COOKE album with a thin paper cover, and yellow vinyl. But I don't know if it is a part of the series that you are referring to.
    Probably. I've seen a lot of these pressings on colored vinyl.

On the rear cover, there were no song titles. Instead there were other albums shown like the Vandellas' WATCHOUT! and the Tempts' GETTIN' READY. I think there were also some Atlantic albums shown as well.