[REMOVE ADS]

Ali's colorful promoter Butch Lewis dies at 65

Butch Lewis, the colorful boxing promoter who worked with Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and Michael and Leon Spinks, has died. He was 65.

By Michael A. Schwarz, USA TODAY
    Buick Main Street in Motion Event

Funeral home owner Sammy Congo of Congo Funeral Home in Wilmington, Del., says he received notification of Lewis' death on Saturday morning and was expected to meet family members on Sunday.

He did not have information about how Lewis died.

Lewis was best known in the ring for sporting tuxedos with no shirt and being involved in some of the sport's biggest fights. He promoted the Michael Spinks-Mike Tyson fight in 1988 that ended with a first round knock of Spinks, who earned more than $13 million for the fight.

He began his career in boxing in the 1970s, but later branched into music and entertainment.

Before the Zab Judah-Amir Khan fight in Las Vegas on Saturday, Lewis was honored by ring announcer Michael Buffer and given a 10-bell count.

Thanks Marv, although I wasn't a big fan of Mr. Lewis, or any boxing promoter for that matter, I was acutely aware of his presence because I followed boxing. When it was announced on ESPN, they didn't even have the common decency to show his picture.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Thanks Marv, although I wasn't a big fan of Mr. Lewis, or any boxing promoter for that matter, I was acutely aware of his presence because I followed boxing. When it was announced on ESPN, they didn't even have the common decency to show his picture.
    You are welcome. Well you know Butch was also a big Humanitarian. Through his Butch Lewis Foundation he has sent many young people to colleges such as Morehouse in Atlanta over the years. They did a half hour tribute to Mr. Lewis this morning on WRQN KISS-FM here in New York.

It was very sudden and so it is quite a shock to many that knew him.

Wow, sorry to hear of his passing. I met him @ 1968 at his father's car dealership in surburban Philly. His ego was huge then and he wasn't even famous at that point. Although my first impression wasn't the best, I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Ironically, his name came up @ six months ago while conversing with the guy that took me there. Rest in Peace

Glad to hear of his efforts Marv, thanks for the info. May he rest in peace.