[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FINALLY!!! The Long Awaited Book "Hype & Soul" is Ready!

Hello everyone. I could not wait to share this when I heard today that the book "Hype & Soul" is finally ready and available. Written by none other than Al Abrams [[aka Stalebagel) Motown's FIRST employee!

We've all seen and read various books about Motown over the years, but very few that have been written by someone who was actually THERE!!!This is a rare treat that we get perhaps once a decade or so. We will be definitely getting a first hand, eyewitness accounting of the Motown Legend!

I just ordered my copy,..... You can get yours too by following this link:

http://www.soulvation.biz/hypeandsoul.html
    Last edited by marv2; 07-21-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Here is a nice shot of the cover :

You also get that rare limited record with your order....can't beat that with a baseball bat!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-22-2011 at 08:55 AM.

uptight Guest
    Coo-elll..!

Will this be available commercially in the US, or only the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    Will this be available commercially in the US, or only the UK?
    vcq it is available commercially here in the the US. I am in New York and have already ordered my copy!

I looked on Amazon and couldn't find it...do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    I looked on Amazon and couldn't find it...do you have a link?
    Yeah, go to my post at the top of this thread. I put a link there. Click on it and when the new page opens, scroll to about a third of the way down and click on the down arrow just above the "Order Now" gold button and select "Rest of the World" @ 44.99

Just ordered mine, bit of a wait until September though!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Just ordered mine, bit of a wait until September though!
    I can tell you now, this one should be well worth it!

Thanks, Marv! But, Amazon should have it soon. It will be cheaper for we U.S. customers...as long as congress gets their act together and does their job!
    Last edited by soulster; 07-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Thanks, Marv! But, Amazon should have it soon. It will be cheaper for we U.S. customers...as long as congress gets their act together and does their job!
    I hope so too [[that our Congress gets their act together), but I have to believe Hell will freeze over first!

Crossing my fingers that Ammy gets it..I want to order a copy for my local library as well :-)

Hope this clarifies how to order Hype & Soul in the US

Thanks Marv and everyone else for your interest in my book, Hype & Soul. At the moment the only way to order it is via www.soulvation.biz --- there are no immediate plans to sell via Amazon. The pre-publication deal is a very good one as my UK publishers are only charging £10 [[$16) postage, whereas the actual postage price post- publication will be in the region of £17 [[$27). Also, ordering now is the only sure way to get the free TMAS single. I will be doing book signings and I am looking forward to meeting many of my Soulful Detroit friends in person. And yes, September seems like a long time to wait, but I've ben waiting for 52 years to share these stories with Motown fans. Please feel free to e-mail me if anyone has any questions. And thanks again!

Al, Why so pricey a book? There have been tons of books written on Motown. It is almost prohibitive.

Congratulations, Al. This was a long time coming. Best of luck with it. Keep us up to date.

Well done Al. You've already corrected a few misconceptions on here! I bought!

I got my record already! *SMILE*

You deserve to be pinned down and required to serve pennance.

This "pennance"....is he over 6 foot tall and built like a brick sh*t house?

If he is, no problem!

*LOL*

LOL indeed.

Let's just say "he's big".

Hi, thanks for the info . Have really been waiting for this book to be released. I did order my copy and today I got the Greetings single - great
    ULF-Stockholm

My TMAS single has arrived :-)

...my disc came too ...together with Neil Rushton's book ...Northern Soul Stories

Grape,

When did you order your copy ? and was the Northern soul stories book a freebie?
    I haven't recived my 45 yet.

My CD arrived............all the way to Canada; I never get mail from The Royal Mail!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Grape,

When did you order your copy ? and was the Northern soul stories book a freebie?
    I haven't recived my 45 yet.
    Dickie ...3 books are advertised in the main thread

http://www.soulvation.biz/hypeandsoul.html

...the other 2 are half-price ...if you order them at the same time as ordering Hype & Soul

...I ordered mine last weekend ...and the NS Stories book and the 45 came within 2 days...

I ordered mine..

ladonna Guest
    How much does this translate to in American dollars?

If you go to this site, you can convert any foreign currency into US dollars. I use it all the time. http://coinmill.com/
    Just paste it in your browser.

ladonna Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stalebagel View Post
    If you go to this site, you can convert any foreign currency into US dollars. I use it all the time. http://coinmill.com/
    Just paste it in your browser.

As of today's date, this translates into $97.61 cents?! That seems overpriced to me. Thanks for the link, however.

Ladonna:
    I just went to coin mill and it came back with $73.21 and NOT $97.61. Please check it again.
    Thanks,
    Al

so when exactly can I expect my goodies?

Jimi:
    You should be getting your vinyl. Those are shipped immediately upon receipt of your order. As you can see on this thread, some people have already received them. I have no idea where you are located.
    The book is printed. The dust jacket is printed. The book awaits binding.
    The blog gives the publication date as September 1. Have you visited the blog at: http://hypeandsoul.blogspot.com/
    You might want to check it out from time to time.
    Thanks,
    Al

Al, Mary Wilson sends her regards and thanks to you.

Marv

Thanks Marv, that's great to hear. She's one of my all-time favorite people. Wish I could have seen and heard her. She's going to love the book.

ladonna Guest
    Oh, my bad, I accessed the link with the Northern Soul stories offer, which is listed at £59.98 GBP; that's the discrepancy.

smark21 Guest
    $97.61 or $73.21--both too expensive for a book. I'll wait until it pops up at a library.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    $97.61 or $73.21--both too expensive for a book. I'll wait until it pops up at a library.
    I agree smark21. I can't fork out $73 for a book in this economy. I'd rather spend that money on a good pedicure to make my feet feel real pretty.

Like you I will look for Mr. Abrams book in my local library.

Thanks Grape.

You'll enjoy Neil's Northern Soul Stories. I did!

I don't know if the book is hard cover, nor do I know the weight, but I am optimistic the book is worth every cent [[penny). I placed my order today so I'll find out in due course.

However the postage and the exchange rate are a major issue for the US folks...... at todays exchange rate of $1.633, postage to the US is $16.33 alone.....even sent from the UK to a UK address it's £5 [[$8.165) which may be high depending on the weight of the book.... whilst nothing can be done about the exchange rate which has just moved the wrong way for the US guys, I would suggest the postage rates are urgently reviewed as they are very significant and might be trimmed especially for the US folks...

Weighing in -- so to speak -- on my book

The book is hard cover and has 288 pages.
    I've passed your concerns on to the publishers. My understanding is that they're already taking a hit on actual postage costs for the pre-publication copies from the UK. Also the costs will go up once the book is published.
    I definitely think the book trumps a pedicure, unless one is really in dire need of foot care.
    Cheers,
    Al

By no means is any book written by anyone worth that kind of money. It is quite unrealistic. And this is from someone who spent $1k to see Diana at Sting's Rainforest concert series at Carnegie Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I don't know if the book is hard cover, nor do I know the weight, but I am optimistic the book is worth every cent [[penny). I placed my order today so I'll find out in due course.

However the postage and the exchange rate are a major issue for the US folks...... at todays exchange rate of $1.633, postage to the US is $16.33 alone.....even sent from the UK to a UK address it's £5 [[$8.165) which may be high depending on the weight of the book.... whilst nothing can be done about the exchange rate which has just moved the wrong way for the US guys, I would suggest the postage rates are urgently reviewed as they are very significant and might be trimmed especially for the US folks...
    I am one of the publishers of the book. We have reduced the postage rates and are charging less than the actual charge to us for sending to the USA.

Thanks - Neil

Have just been looking on screen at the book.

Al's essay about the March On Hitsville he organised to get a Tommy Good record released is hilarious. We used an image of that for the front cover, as it such a good photo and was an event that Al remembers so well, and risked losing his job if it all went wrong.

And a US newspaper interview with The Elgins [[the only one ever done Al reckons) is great memorabilia and tells how they got their new name.

By the way, how come come Motown did not make "Heaven Must Have Sent You" by The Elgins a major USA hit? It's perfect H-D-H. As a 16 years old at school this was one of the Motown records - along with "I Got A Feeling" - Barbara Randolph, "Just A Little Misunderstanding" -The Contours and "Keep On Loving Me" by Frances Nero - that turned a whole generation of us onto Soul music, and the UK "Rhythm'n'Soul" underground into what became the Northern Soul juggernaut.
    I met the late Barbara Randolph some years ago at Midem in Cannes [[she was with Eddie Singleton) and tried to explain how much her record meant to me and so many of my friends when we were kids, and how after waiting 3 months to find a copy I was so happy I went home and played it 14 times in a row, much to the irritation of my Dad. Barbara was very kind and courteous but I think she thought I was raving mad!

All The Best,

Neil

It sounds like a lovely book and I send my best wishes of success to Al and Neil; but I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out. $73.00 for a 288 page hardcover book is pretty much unheard of.....and that's without the shipping cost? Heck, the new Supremes 70's Final Sessions 3 CD set was half that price.

To those that purchase, kudos. I look forward to reading your reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It sounds like a lovely book and I send my best wishes of success to Al and Neil; but I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out. $73.00 for a 288 page hardcover book is pretty much unheard of.....and that's without the shipping cost? Heck, the new Supremes 70's Final Sessions 3 CD set was half that price.

Ditto marybrewster. I hope to find it in my local library but like you I wish Mr. Abrams much success.

Hi Mary,

It's not $73 plus shipping costs though.

The cost of the book without the shipping costs is £34.99 which at $1.6 to the £ is $55, not $73.
    On pre-orders to the USA we are charging £10 shipping, which is a lot less than the actual cost.
    So £44.99 @ $1.6 equals $71.95 which I guess is where the $73 comes in?
    Don't forget the first 500 copies of the book come complete with a bonus single, the 1964 Hitsville Tamla Motown Appreciation Society single which has been licenced in from Universal as well as music publishng royalty accounted for. The single has got to be worth £10 to £20 if you were selling it on by itself, and everyone who has placed an advance order has been sent the disc this before the book arrives, and we are picking that postage cost out of the £44.99.
    I wish we could ship for free but we can't!

All The Best,

Neil

marybrewster
    Maybe you can find some kind benefactor who wants to make you happy! Worth a try don't you think!

Sorry I can't help, I'm already a benefactor!

*smile*

smark21 Guest

Well Maxine Ballard Jenkins charged a steep price for her book on Flo a few years back. I think it was about $66? Hopefully this book will be better than what Maxine turned out.