[REMOVE ADS]

First I Look At The Purse - Contours

Just listening to this song and it struck me that the title doesn't fully work in the UK as ladies put their money in a purse and they put their purse in their handbag

So what do Americans call handbags?

Rovereab - Purse is used the same here as in the UK. But purse is often used for handbag, too, as is pocketbook. But I think purse works any way it's used since it's still where the money is. Like a wallet. And many people who use purses also use them for carrying cash, not just for coins.

But no matter how ya slice it, it's a great tune, don't 'cha think?

Attachment 7590
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 11-24-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Yes a great tune for sure like so many by The Contours.

A great song produced for the right group. I can't imagine another group or individual doing this song convincingly that recorded on West Grand Blvd. Though 'Wherever I Lay My Hat Thats My Home", is kind of a softer take in the same vein.

I hope that Ace will release the previously unreleased album "It`s So Hard Being a Loser" which contains this wonderful track.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I hope that Ace will release the previously unreleased album "It`s So Hard Being a Loser" which contains this wonderful track.
    Do you [[or anyone) have a track listing for this album?

Ross - Some interesting info here:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/a_tom/5427674699/

It`s possible that you could add "All My Life " and "Come See About Me" to that list.

RossHolloway Guest
    @methuselah2- I'm not getting anything when I click on that link.

Ross - Try this Google search:

The Contours '61 to '64

The flickr hit should pop up. One of the Comments from The Old Grey Wolf has info. Hope you can see it. [[Wouldn't let me cut & paste it.)

RossHolloway Guest
    Methuselah2- That did the job. I have never seen a mock up of that Contours album before. THanks for that.

Ross - Hope you saw the info on the Gordy G-921 album, as well. Sounds interesting, to say the least. But the listing given isn't official.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 11-25-2013 at 05:46 PM.

What a great, great track 'Purse' is. And to think Smokey could come up with something so upbeat and funky as well as his wonderful ballads/love songs from the same period.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Just listening to this song and it struck me that the title doesn't fully work in the UK as ladies put their money in a purse and they put their purse in their handbag

So what do Americans call handbags?
    Pocketbooks

"First I Look at the Handbag", "First I look At the Pocketbook" , First I look at the Wallett, naw First I Look At the Purse works better.

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know if the Contours ever performed this song on tv or did anyone ever witness them sing it live in concert?

I have seen a photograph of them doing this song LIVE at the Twenty Grand back in the day.

Not vintage but very much live, 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIuuTQkcEjA

The lyrics were great for 1965 and were not a vehicle for maliciously spewing sexism. Reviewing the lyrics in the present, the song is one "piece of sexist crap" that would never fly if referring to a person's race in the same manner as the song addresses women. Still, it's a favorite.

The record is meant to be funny.

And it is.

How many songs have the line "She could be covered with a rash long as she's got some cash."

Romantic it ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The record is meant to be funny.
    "I Don't care if she waddles like a duck and talks with a lisp, I just think I'm in good luck if the dollar bills are crisp" ..

Sounds perfectly good sense to me 144man ..

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    The lyrics were great for 1965 and were not a vehicle for maliciously spewing sexism. Reviewing the lyrics in the present, the song is one "piece of sexist crap" that would never fly if referring to a person's race in the same manner as the song addresses women. Still, it's a favorite.
    It's not "sexist crap" - it's a joke, not a manifesto, and I find it inherently less troubling than something with genuinely misogynystic overtones. The gold-digging, exaggerating narrator is the butt of the humour here. Well, that and the litany of contemporary songs [[Motown or otherwise) praising ladies for their eyes, legs, hair etc - the narrator is saying all those guys are wasting their time.

Also, it is quite funny. We had a few good discussions about this when I reviewed it for Motown Junkies a few months back:

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/600/

Alert readers will be wondering why I’m not getting angry with this, when I blew a gasket over I’ll Be Doggone for spouting similarly sexist stuff. The answer, really, is because this is funny; the joke is on the narrator, not the woman, and [[again like Shorty Long) the impression is of some louche reprobate boasting to his mates.

I don’t believe for one moment it’s meant to be taken remotely seriously, but even if it were, Billy Gordon delivers this with such a stupid grin that says he’s already fully accepted he might deservedly earn himself a slap in the face, plus whatever the 1965 equivalent was of a badmouthing on Facebook and Twitter [[like a crudely-phrased warning written in lipstick on a diner bathroom mirror, or something). Perhaps the tone is still inexcusably sexist, but I think the misogyny is tempered by the absolute silliness of it all; this is a song about the narrator, and he’s a buffoon. An amusing buffoon, certainly, of the type we’ve all come across – annoyingly, he’s exactly as funny as he thinks he is – but I’ve no need to worry about keeping him away from my daughter, because I trust she’s got enough sense to give an amused snort and keep right on walking.

It was a very big hit in the Philly area, much bigger than nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It was a very big hit in the Philly area, much bigger than nationwide.
    It made the Top Ten in Detroit on WKNR.

It's always been a big hit in my house!!