[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Yet Jean seemed friendly enough with Lynda at the Supremes CD signing back in 2002. The point is NONE of us know who Jean likes or dislikes and at the end of the day it is really none of our business.

I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't ...........

I think what would be more appropo, and something I'd want to see, is Unsung: The Marvelettes. They have never been given their props for being the first Motown group to score and No. 1 record

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    While as a Motown fan, I think an Unsung Jean would be great, I think it's a long shot. No Supreme had a solo career that did anything other than Diana; perhaps Scherrie had a small one. So to do an Unsung on Jean, while I'd love it, doesn't make a lot of sense. And then we get back to that Supremes thing ~ and that name doesn't belong in "Unsung".

So, I guess it's Jean or nothing. And I can easily convince myself it's a good idea.
    Mary Wilson has a solo career and it is still going on. You haven't seen or heard of her concerts or that she is still recording? Nothing in these last 32 years or so? LOL!!!!

She has a new song out right now even called "Life's Been Good to Me".
    Last edited by marv2; 07-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't ...........
    Fact, fiction or fan fabrication?

I was there too, in 1998 and although I don't recall the DJ, Stoned Love or mistaken identity, It does not happen all the time!

How can you even say that based on that one, very specific incident that evidently jarred you enough to even remember it in some amount of detail? Do you also recall the "Motown Moments"? They were the three black girls that performed songs by the Supremes , Marvelettes, Martha & the Vandellas , etc without ever giving props or ID'ing the artists and the songs? I use to go there for lunch whenever I was in that part of town. They had the BEST sampler platter , heheheheh!
    Yes, Marv, I do remember that. In fact I have a pictures of Betty Kelly teaching the fake Vandellas how to do the real steps. And the DJ did announce Diana Ross and the Supremes and then corrected himself. I have also heard DJs on the radio play the song and announce that is was Diana Ross and the Supremes. It happens whether you choose to hear it or not, Marv.

It happens whether you choose to hear it or not, Marv
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I second that e-motion!

Fact, fiction or fan fabrication?

I don't have to lie. It's up to you to believe what you want...... Amen?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Yes, Marv, I do remember that. In fact I have a pictures of Betty Kelly teaching the fake Vandellas how to do the real steps. And the DJ did announce Diana Ross and the Supremes and then corrected himself. I have also heard DJs on the radio play the song and announce that is was Diana Ross and the Supremes. It happens whether you choose to hear it or not, Marv.

It don't happen often and only with stupid or disinterested DJ's that don't respect Black Music or the artists. You never hear them mix up John Lennon or Paul McCartney's solo work with anything they ever did with the Beatles. Still I do not know anyone that does not know the difference of when Jean Terrell was singing with the Supremes vs when Diane Ross was singing with them.

Yeah, I hung out with Betty. She was the first to let me know that Obie and Levi had taken ill, among some other things she told me that day.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-25-2011 at 10:04 PM.

[QUOTE Originally Posted by marv2]I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't.[/QUOTE]

I don't have to lie. It's up to you to believe what you want...... Amen?
    I didn't accuse you of lying. I simply asked if this was fact, fiction or fan fabrication. Your defensive answer tells me it is more than likely fiction.

No need to respond.

Thanks.

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I think what would be more appropo, and something I'd want to see, is Unsung: The Marvelettes. They have never been given their props for being the first Motown group to score and No. 1 record
    A Marvelettes Unsung would be good.

I like the Marvelettes idea..

[QUOTE Originally Posted by marv2]I think she [[Jean) has more of a real problem with Lynda because she banned Jean Terrell from ever performing again as one of "The FLO's" in 1996 and to date she hasn't.

I didn't accuse you of lying. I simply asked if this was fact, fiction or fan fabrication. Your defensive answer tells me it is more than likely fiction.

No need to respond.

Thanks.

Roberta[/QUOTE]

Like I said, you can believe what you want, because it is not important to me what you chose to believe. It don't change anything.......

The Marvelettes! Good choice! They fit perfectly with this program's format as they are truly unsung and their contributions to the music industry and Motown in particular are invaluable!

The Marvelettes! Good choice! They fit perfectly with this program's format as they are truly unsung and their contributions to the music industry and Motown in particular are invaluable!
    That would be fantastic. They are and always will be my favorite Motown group.

and The Marvelettes story is QUITE a story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    and The Marvelettes story is QUITE a story!!!
    If you could just see where they, the Marvelettes actually came from.....Inkster, Michigan, you would have an even greater appreciation for their historical accomplishments! I believe everyone would. It definitely is not the type of place where dreams are made......
    Last edited by marv2; 07-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.

uhhhhhhh no she didn't !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    uhhhhhhh no she didn't !!!!!
    Uh HUH! LOL!

Unless you live under a rock, you have heard of The Supremes and you have heard of Diana Ross. In someway or another, Diana Ross will ALWAYS be associated with the name "Supremes". Therefore, I do believe it's quite possible that an unskilled DJ or casual listener/fan could EASILY mistake something LABELED "The Supremes" as including Diana Ross.

Point: One of my favorite 70's albums is "New Ways". I have had SEVERAL friends see the LP and look at the back cover, trying to figure out which one is Diana. Yes, MANY people know the Supremes continued into the 70's, but I would also bet that JUST AS MANY thought the Supremes disbanded when Diana left.

In the end, none of the 70's Supremes songs are well enough known to be done by Diana. They just wouldn't fit in her concert.

I wonder how many of them Mary does? Or the FLO's. I think the FLO's and Mary sing Diana's 60's songs because that's what the concert goers want.

Can you write somewhere and suggest people or groups for Unsung? Or do they just do individuals? Nobody seems to have thought of an Unsung on Mary.

In the end, none of the 70's Supremes songs are well enough known to be done by Diana. They just wouldn't fit in her concert.

I wonder how many of them Mary does? Or the FLO's. I think the FLO's and Mary sing Diana's 60's songs because that's what the concert goers want.

Can you write somewhere and suggest people or groups for Unsung? Or do they just do individuals? Nobody seems to have thought of an Unsung on Mary.

The 70's Supremes songs were very well known during the times of their original releases. The 70's Supremes material would have been too complexed and required far more vocal ability than Diane could even have dreamt of, live and in concert. Why would she attempt to sing them anyway? She wasn't a Supreme when they were released and she had nothing to do with selling them?

Now as much as you mention Mary Wilson, I would have thought you would have known this easily. Mary performs no less than 5 of the 70's Supremes hits in concert currently, "Stoned Love", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Nathan Jones", "Floy Joy" and "Bad Weather", she's getting great reactions to them from her audiences I might add. I do not believe the FLO's perform any of the songs from the 70's.

If they were to do an Unsung on Mary, they might as well do one on Diana too. That way all 3 of the Original Supremes would have gotten an episode and the show would be a FARCE if it continued to promote itself as presenting the stories of Unsung musical performers! The Supremes are in the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" and that includes Mary Wilson! Geez!

At the end of each season, people are allowed and asked to suggest those artists that would make good subjects for the series. Several groups have had profiles on the show already.

y
    Last edited by marv2; 07-26-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Furthermore, in regards to the 70's Supremes songs not being well enough known for Diana Ross to sing any of them. Bette Midler, Melissa Manchester, Angie Stone, Bananarama, Celine Dion , the cast of television's "Living Single" and just about every University, College and High School Choir, Glee Club and Chorus around the Nation have performed them in concert. It's impossible to count the numbers of times "Up the Ladder to the Roof" has been perform by young people that weren't even born when that song was released! So much for not being well known enough, eh?
    Last edited by marv2; 07-26-2011 at 03:27 AM.

I recall hearing that during the "Return To Love" Tour that Ross supposedly reached out to Jean to perform "Stoned Love" and Jean declined...

What a shame that Jean declined.

What channel are the Unsung shows on? How many Motown artists have been featured? I wonder if you can see any online or on Youtube.

A Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas or Mary Wilson one would be good.

Jean declined "Return To Love" after Mary and Cindy had declined;
    she probably wanted to show some solidarity,and i doubt that she ever became chums with Ross..

For what its worth, I just asked my Mrs. who sang Stoned Love. After a recognising "Ummm" and a quick rendition of the song from me, her answer was..........Diana Ross.

Clearly that's without having just heard Jean singing it BUT....[[maybe others should perform the above test!).

As for Diana Ross really singing 70s Supremes songs, that would be like The Supremes singing a Kiki Dee number.

The misconceptions about Stoned Love/Diana/Jean are unfortunate. Us fans can't believe it and don't like it.

You make a good analogy about Diana and Kiki Dee.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Unless you live under a rock, you have heard of The Supremes and you have heard of Diana Ross. In someway or another, Diana Ross will ALWAYS be associated with the name "Supremes". Therefore, I do believe it's quite possible that an unskilled DJ or casual listener/fan could EASILY mistake something LABELED "The Supremes" as including Diana Ross.

Point: One of my favorite 70's albums is "New Ways". I have had SEVERAL friends see the LP and look at the back cover, trying to figure out which one is Diana. Yes, MANY people know the Supremes continued into the 70's, but I would also bet that JUST AS MANY thought the Supremes disbanded when Diana left.
    and Vice versa, anyone see the episode of Designing Women when they [[cast members) Lip synced Aint No Mountan High Enough the said called them Diana Ross and the Supremes. Hell even Motown put out product that was The Supremes and credited to Diana Ross & Supremes, check out some of those budget cds. It should not happen but it does.

yes, I have some of the Motown casstte re-releases with Jean singing lead that are credited to Diana Ross & The Supremes;THAT tells you all you need to know..

More............

Even Motown couldn't tell the groups apart. For the longest time, the only place you could get songs from the Jimmy Webb album were on a cd titled The Supremes - Motown Legends which featured Diana, Mary & Florence on the cover!!!!

But don't worry Marv, this never really happens.

I bought that CD to get one of those Jimmy Webb songs on CD.

Jean Terrell has a fabulous voice and the most elegant feet I have ever seen on a woman. I am envious of her feet. I have a photo of Jean in sandals and i would kill for feet like Jean has.

Roberta.
    Roberta - care to share the pic here?

I do agree with what you say; and general music fans think Diana Ross sings Stoned Love and Ain't No Mountain High Enough with Marvin.
    Teenagers think that Ross sings "Can't Take My Yes Off You" because in the 80's an Italian singer named "Ross" released her cover of that song. And for many file sharing programs they were the same person.