[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there an "Unsung" on Jean Terrell/70's Supremes?

..if not, why not?

It seems to me they don't quite fit........even if it is just because the name "Supremes" is very sung as opposed to unsung.

bump.......

well, all things considered, in this day and age, Jean Terrell is extremely 'unsung';
    the average Motown fan knows Tammi Terrell[[through her Marvin Gaye association) more than they do Jean, and Tammi got an 'unsung'

I do agree with what you say; and general music fans think Diana Ross sings Stoned Love and Ain't No Mountain High Enough with Marvin.

exactly!..I'm always getting into arguements with morons who think that "Stoned Love" was Ross; and it sounds nothing like her!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I do agree with what you say; and general music fans think Diana Ross sings Stoned Love and Ain't No Mountain High Enough with Marvin.

No they don't! What neighborhood are you talking about? "General music fans" [[whatever that means...), know it was Jean Terrell singing lead on "Stoned Love". Go to Youtube, type in the Supremes "Stoned Love" [[look at any of the videos for that song for starters) and just read..........!

you,and the rest of us on this board, are not the average, radio listening music fan...c'mon,you're kidding, right?

Jean Terrell has a fabulous voice and the most elegant feet I have ever seen on a woman. I am envious of her feet. I have a photo of Jean in sandals and i would kill for feet like Jean has.

Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    you,and the rest of us on this board, are not the average, radio listening music fan...c'mon,you're kidding, right?
    I am not kidding Jim. I have a clip of The Supremes doing "Stoned Love" up on Youtube that has around 100,000 views [[ the last time I had it up, it got around 175,000) and judging by the comments, they all know it is Jean Terrell singing with Mary and Cindy. Only a very few, uninformed, disinterested Oldies DJ's have made that slip up on the radio as far as I know.........

Now polling the "general public" now about a 40 year old record would prove nothing. When it was new, when it was hot and on the radio, the general public knew that it was not Diana Ross with Mary and Cindy singing Stoned Love that I do know because I was around back then.

Jim! "don't you feel the wind blowin'.......can't you feel it?" LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No they don't! What neighborhood are you talking about? "General music fans" [[whatever that means...), know it was Jean Terrell singing lead on "Stoned Love". Go to Youtube, type in the Supremes "Stoned Love" [[look at any of the videos for that song for starters) and just read..........!
    Marv2...I have to agree with jobetrob on this one. Several people I've come in contact with think it's Diana Ross singing "Stoned Love." I just had to correct a friend a month or so ago. I think that the name Supremes and Diana Ross are so tied that when people hear a song that they recognise by the Supremes they assume it's her.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Marv2...I have to agree with jobetrob on this one. Several people I've come in contact with think it's Diana Ross singing "Stoned Love." I just had to correct a friend a month or so ago. I think that the name Supremes and Diana Ross are so tied that when people hear a song that they recognise by the Supremes they assume it's her.
    Jeff, I believe you, because I know you wouldn't lie to me....BUT that never happened with people I have been in contact in my life here in New York, in Detroit, Philly, Cleveland, Boston etc,etc. The subject never comes up today to be frank, but back when those records were new and on the radio, we all knew it was the "New Supremes" with Jean Terrell. The closest thing I can steer you towards that verifies what I am saying is Youtube and the RECENT comments made about that record by the general public.

The reason I do not believe there will be an Unsung episode done on the Supremes in the 70's is because they were still "The Supremes" seen and heard all over the World. Besides, they did that episode on Florence Ballard who had the most compelling story by far in terms of the Supremes.

Sadly, I also think this is why there won't be an Unsung Supremes ~ for the same reason so many people think Diana Ross sings Stoned Love ~ and that is what Jeff states: the names "Supremes" and "Diana Ross" are too closely associated.

the names "Supremes" and "Diana Ross" are too closely associated
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and that's how the 70's version winds up being 'unsung'

smark21 Guest
    Well in that case, then there should be no Unsung devoted to Jean Terrell/70's Supremes as the show is dedicated to featuring acts the public might have forgotten.

the names "Supremes" and "Diana Ross" are too closely associated
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and that's how the 70's version winds up being 'unsung'
    Point taken!!!! Maybe they should give it go. They may be able to educate those folks that Jobeterob and Jeff9nyc referred to, those believing all Supremes songs had Diane on them. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Well in that case, then there should be no Unsung devoted to Jean Terrell/70's Supremes as the show is dedicated to featuring acts the public might have forgotten.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make Smark! Almost every musical act from the 50's, 60's and 70's could now be considered "Unsung" because they are now past their heyday and get limited if any exposure. Many have passed on or retired and the way radio playlists are these days, only a good 20 -25 artists get played over and over. I am talking classic artist at that!

The Supremes with Jean Terrell and the others were still considered the top female music act draw in the 70's. It was Motown that neglected them and refused to no longer promote them. The public was VERY aware of them. They just couldn't always hear or find their records in the stores.

The Supremes with Jean Terrell and the others were still considered the top female music act draw in the 70's. It was Motown that neglected them and refused to no longer promote them. The public was VERY aware of them. They just couldn't always hear or find their records in the stores.
    LOL at your "The Supremes with Jean Terrell and the others were still considered the top female music act draw in the 70's" comment. You really need to reread Mary's book Supreme Faith because she tells a totally different story.

Maybe we are making a case for a 70's Supremes Unsung, styled as such..............especially if the public thinks Diana did all the Jean Terrell songs and because they've always thought Mary Wells was Mary Wilson............so maybe it's a plan.

Roberta............Mary Wilson has already said she disagrees with certain fans..............so, we all indulge in idle chitter chatter here at times!

exactly!..I'm always getting into arguements with morons who think that "Stoned Love" was Ross; and it sounds nothing like her!!!
    That is exactly what they are to argue about something clearly they don't know anything about! Morons.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-22-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Maybe we are making a case for a 70's Supremes Unsung, styled as such..............especially if the public thinks Diana did all the Jean Terrell songs and because they've always thought Mary Wells was Mary Wilson............so maybe it's a plan.

Roberta............Mary Wilson has already said she disagrees with certain fans..............so, we all indulge in idle chitter chatter here at times!
    Anyone in the public that thinks Diane sang all of the songs that Jean Terrell sang on are simply STUPID! There was a much publicized farewell of Diane from the Supremes in 1969/70 so, anyone that thinks she stuck around to continue to sing lead for the Supremes must :
    1) Got left on the moon by Neil Armstrong
    2) Can neither read, write or hear the news
    3) Was locked up in solitary confinement or a State Mental Ward for most of the sixties and seventies
    4) Are just so dumb and country that you can show them the writing, but you cannot make them read and comprehend anything........LOL!!!!
    5) They are just lying to avoid giving the ladies their much deserved credit and to create an argument out of nothing...... So who would care or give much time or thought to people like that?
    !
    *** All the above also goes for anyone that were over the age of 10 in the 60's and 70's that say they never heard of the Supremes LOL!

Mary also checks with "certain people" for facts that she may not remember...........!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-22-2011 at 05:29 PM.

I can't see Jean Terrell participating in this

Why do you think she would not participate Bayou?

I would love to see TVONE do a Unsung,on all The Supremes,Mary,Cindy,Jean,Lynda,Scherrie,and Susaye,from the 70s,what a story that would be,
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I would love to see TVONE do a Unsung,on all The Supremes,Mary,Cindy,Jean,Lynda,Scherrie,and Susaye,from the 70s,what a story that would be,
    Please stay positive
    That would be quite a story, but I would much rather see an Unsung done on High Inergy, Rare Earth, The Dramatics, Stargard or Kashif.

Jean has never participated in anything Supremes related Jobete. I tried to get her for E TRUE HOLLYWOOD DIANA ROSS and Universal has sought her participation in both of the extensive collections they did on the Supremes and Supremes and Four Tops. I also tried to get Jean to comment on her work, but ultimately she declined. There are a lot of reasons for this, and I think she should comment on it rather than I. I think it safe to say that she leaves all Supremes retrospectives to Mary Wilson. After Mary sued Jean, Scherrie and Lynda over the name Supremes, Jean backed away and never came back except for a one-off performance in LA to raise funds for their defense. Mary's case was of course thrown out of court. But it stuck in Jean's throat. She and Mary are friendly again but Jean I think enjoys her retirement and comes out every now and then if she feels like singing again. A great voice horribly misrepresented by Motown.

as a Broadway show tune states...
    All I can say is 'wow'.....WOW!..had no idea..sad..

My sentiments too........sad.

No one here in the UK I ever knew confused JEAN with Diana and Stoned Love, the only problem with the original was in Disco's when you had to edit out the intro when lining up to play on 45 as the dance floor would empty, it was Great to play it on air though.

I have never in my life heard of anyone thinking that any Jean led song was Diana Ross I dont even hear a resemblance. I think Jean Terrell likes her fans but she doesnt want to get caught up in internet fury or any more arguments over Supreme battles and I cant quite blame her. What a voice Bayouman is right she is someone who should have had a great solo career and a much longer Supremes career. I have to give it to her though she along with the other Supremes [[post Diana) have left a great legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I have never in my life heard of anyone thinking that any Jean led song was Diana Ross I dont even hear a resemblance. I think Jean Terrell likes her fans but she doesnt want to get caught up in internet fury or any more arguments over Supreme battles and I cant quite blame her. What a voice Bayouman is right she is someone who should have had a great solo career and a much longer Supremes career. I have to give it to her though she along with the other Supremes [[post Diana) have left a great legacy.
    I am still trying to figure out where these people that mistake Jean Terrell and her voice for Diana Ross are from? Amazing! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Jean has never participated in anything Supremes related Jobete. I tried to get her for E TRUE HOLLYWOOD DIANA ROSS and Universal has sought her participation in both of the extensive collections they did on the Supremes and Supremes and Four Tops. I also tried to get Jean to comment on her work, but ultimately she declined. There are a lot of reasons for this, and I think she should comment on it rather than I. I think it safe to say that she leaves all Supremes retrospectives to Mary Wilson. After Mary sued Jean, Scherrie and Lynda over the name Supremes, Jean backed away and never came back except for a one-off performance in LA to raise funds for their defense. Mary's case was of course thrown out of court. But it stuck in Jean's throat. She and Mary are friendly again but Jean I think enjoys her retirement and comes out every now and then if she feels like singing again. A great voice horribly misrepresented by Motown.
    That is not completely accurate....... "Jean has never participated in anything Supremes related
    Jobete."

Except when she wants to!

Here Jean is in 2003 with Mary and Cindy at the "Heroes and Legends Awards", in 2002 at the "70's Supremes CD Signing" and in 2005 with Scherrie and Cindy at the "H.E.R.B.I.E Awards"

Here's one example! LOL

Does anyone remember the episode of "Designing Women" when The Supremes [[Charlene, Mary Jo, Suzanne and Julia) sang "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"? Funny stuff.

I'd love to see an "Unsung" on Jean Terrell. They could talk about her early career with her brother Ernie [[Tammi's husband.....just kidding), her joining the Supremes, her solo LP, and her time with the FLO's.

Great idea Mary; it would help end the confusion. And would cause no argument regarding the well known name "Supremes".

And Jean actually had hits in her days with the Supremes, led of course by Stoned Love.

Great idea Mary; it would help end the confusion. And would cause no argument regarding the well known name "Supremes".

And Jean actually had hits in her days with the Supremes, led of course by Stoned Love.
    I think that is a poor idea [[since Jean did not have much of a solo career before or after the Supremes) But she was a Supreme and she was not technically, "UNSUNG"!

There is no confusion other than with these handful of strange folks that only you seem to know LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Does anyone remember the episode of "Designing Women" when The Supremes [[Charlene, Mary Jo, Suzanne and Julia) sang "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"? Funny stuff.

I'd love to see an "Unsung" on Jean Terrell. They could talk about her early career with her brother Ernie [[Tammi's husband.....just kidding), her joining the Supremes, her solo LP, and her time with the FLO's.

Great idea marybrewster.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Sounds like another of those lowest common denominator types programs. I don't watch that stuff. To do an episode on Jean Terrell /Supremes, would change the whole premise of the "Unsung" series. Maybe they could develop another series of programs or specials involving "Golden Greats from The Past".

These women were not unsung and it is wrong to try to shoe-horn them into a program format where their story DOES NOT fit! simply because the fans want to see them on television.

Jean was UNSUNG by Motown then, and she certainly is UNSUNG now, not even treated as a part of Motown history, including when "The Supremes" were inducted into the Rock & roll Hall Of Fame..

While as a Motown fan, I think an Unsung Jean would be great, I think it's a long shot. No Supreme had a solo career that did anything other than Diana; perhaps Scherrie had a small one. So to do an Unsung on Jean, while I'd love it, doesn't make a lot of sense. And then we get back to that Supremes thing ~ and that name doesn't belong in "Unsung".

So, I guess it's Jean or nothing. And I can easily convince myself it's a good idea.

I was at the Supremes Convention at the Motown Cafe in NYC [[a year or so before the cafe was closed). The DJ at the cafe played the original Stoned Love and announced that it was Diana Ross and The Supremes. He was quickly shouted down and corrected himself. So, yes, it happens all the time....

Ive never heard of anyone thinking Diana sang Stoned Love. I have heard people confusing who sang Reach Out and Touch and Aint no Mt-thinking it was the Surpemes. Mary made it clear to Jean she regretted including her in lawsuit, but had no choice. Many people feel Jean has had a problem with Lynda, not Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Many people feel Jean has had a problem with Lynda, not Mary.
    Yet Jean seemed friendly enough with Lynda at the Supremes CD signing back in 2002. The point is NONE of us know who Jean likes or dislikes and at the end of the day it is really none of our business.

Jean was UNSUNG by Motown then, and she certainly is UNSUNG now, not even treated as a part of Motown history, including when "The Supremes" were inducted into the Rock & roll Hall Of Fame..
    Jimi, that is true to a certain extent, but it has nothing to do with this television program which focuses on the more obscure R&B,Soul and Hip-Hop acts.

Jean may seem unsung now, but that is only because the height of her fame was decades ago. You could count nearly all performers from the 50's , 60's, 70's and even 80's into category. It's not that they did not achieve fame and recognition, it is because it occurred long ago and people no longer talk about it. Should they do an Unsung program on say, Sammy Davis Jr? Heck NO! He isn't talked about much these days, but he could never be classified as "unsung". Where do you draw the line? Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the episodes focusing on George Clinton and the O'Jays, neither in any way , shape or form were "Unsung"! I can remember seeing both acts in huge arena concerts in the 70's with 10,000-20,000 in attendance..........hardly unsung! LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.

While as a Motown fan, I think an Unsung Jean would be great, I think it's a long shot. No Supreme had a solo career that did anything other than Diana; perhaps Scherrie had a small one. So to do an Unsung on Jean, while I'd love it, doesn't make a lot of sense. And then we get back to that Supremes thing ~ and that name doesn't belong in "Unsung".

So, I guess it's Jean or nothing. And I can easily convince myself it's a good idea.
    It is a bad idea to present The Supremes or Jean Terrell in this show's format. It worked somewhat for Florence Ballard because her story was very compelling, lots of drama etc. Still it fell short because there wasn't enough time to do ut [[Flo's story}) justice.

They may need to develop a "Where Are They Now ?" format type program to include subjects like the Supremes, Four Tops, Stevie Wonder etc To bring folks up to date on some of more well known R&B/Pop acts from back in the day.

RossHolloway Guest
    Question: Has Diana Ross ever sang any of the 70's Supremes songs in concert? How great would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I was at the Supremes Convention at the Motown Cafe in NYC [[a year or so before the cafe was closed). The DJ at the cafe played the original Stoned Love and announced that it was Diana Ross and The Supremes. He was quickly shouted down and corrected himself. So, yes, it happens all the time....

I was there too, in 1998 and although I don't recall the DJ, Stoned Love or mistaken identity, It does not happen all the time!

How can you even say that based on that one, very specific incident that evidently jarred you enough to even remember it in some amount of detail? Do you also recall the "Motown Moments"? They were the three black girls that performed songs by the Supremes , Marvelettes, Martha & the Vandellas , etc without ever giving props or ID'ing the artists and the songs? I use to go there for lunch whenever I was in that part of town. They had the BEST sampler platter , heheheheh!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ive never heard of anyone thinking Diana sang Stoned Love. I have heard people confusing who sang Reach Out and Touch and Aint no Mt-thinking it was the Surpemes. Mary made it clear to Jean she regretted including her in lawsuit, but had no choice. Many people feel Jean has had a problem with Lynda, not Mary.

Luke, you have probably one of the most accurate, factual posts in this thread. I have heard DJ's say that too, but I know they are mistaken. Mary made it very clear that she was not suing Jean..........