[REMOVE ADS]

Was it Diana's best performance?

smark21 Guest
    No, Turn Me Over from Silk Electric is her best performance, whether it be recording, acting, or performing on stage. Never again would she hit such heights in artistry and talent.

The comment above is what turns off this SDF poster from coming to this site.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I agree, totally.
    It's always complete sarcastic trash just like it was in his Martha Reeves post.
    This is no Motown fan; just a lonely, frustrated individual with a need to voice and act out.
    Remember "the mother" controversy?

Oh Smark was just having a little fun; I've never seen him cause much problem on here but then I don't know what the comments refer to.

I think Out of Darkness might have been her best performance.

It wasn't Double Platinum or Mahogany or The Wiz.

It might have been Lady, which taken with her singing, was remarkable.

But she will always be known firstly as a singer.

uptight Guest
    Out of Darkness is her next best after Lady. Don't shoot me, but I think her performance in Mahogany was decent. The direction the producer took was the awkward part. Ross did a better job at acting in it than the producer did at attempting to direct it.

smark21 Guest
    Well here's a better clip from Out of Darkness without the TV set in the picture.

It's a good performance. Shame that Diana didn't do anything acting wise for another 6 years until the meh Double Platinum. Did she try to do any other made for TV movies between those two but they just never got off the ground? And since Double Platinum, nothing. However, nothing will top her acting performance in Beach Ball.

I did enjoy the Supremes performance in Beach Ball. In fact, it was the only good thing about the movie! Out of Darkness
    was good and so was Lady. The others were not so impressive, but Mahogany was OK. Too bad all those years ago she
    didn't do The Bodyguard with Ryan O'Neil. Also, wasn't she offered the part Diahann Carroll got in the TV series Dynasty?

Diana was superb in Out Of Darkenss. She should've been nominated for an Emmy.

Diana was nominated for an Emmy.........but I believe she lost to Bette Midler.

Diana's acting in The Wiz is not all that bad either which is why it is her most popular movie these days.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I did enjoy the Supremes performance in Beach Ball. In fact, it was the only good thing about the movie! Out of Darkness
    was good and so was Lady. The others were not so impressive, but Mahogany was OK. Too bad all those years ago she
    didn't do The Bodyguard with Ryan O'Neil. Also, wasn't she offered the part Diahann Carroll got in the TV series Dynasty?
    There were many reports circa 1985 that Diana was joining the cast of "DALLAS", but nothing ever came of it. I've also heard the DYNASTY rumor, but from what I've read, Diahann Carroll gatecrashed an Aaron Spelling party and told him that she wanted to be "the first black bitch on tv." And that's how she got that role.

Re Diana's films, dramaticially, I think LADY is the best, with OUT OF DARKNESS a very close second. But they can also depress the hell out of me. When I sit down to watch one, MAHOGANY wins hands down. I think she did a good job in that film. DOUBLE PLATINUM is a fave as well. I actually watched some it this weekend while channel-surfing, even though I have the dvd.

You may be right, but I thought Diana turned the role down due to planning to marry Arne. It's been so long, but that
    sounds what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There were many reports circa 1985 that Diana was joining the cast of "DALLAS", but nothing ever came of it. I've also heard the DYNASTY rumor, but from what I've read, Diahann Carroll gatecrashed an Aaron Spelling party and told him that she wanted to be "the first black bitch on tv." And that's how she got that role.

Re Diana's films, dramaticially, I think LADY is the best, with OUT OF DARKNESS a very close second. But they can also depress the hell out of me. When I sit down to watch one, MAHOGANY wins hands down. I think she did a good job in that film. DOUBLE PLATINUM is a fave as well. I actually watched some it this weekend while channel-surfing, even though I have the dvd.
    Reprtedly director Clint Eastwood wanted to cast Diana Ross as the draq queen character, Lady Chabliss, in Midnight in the Garden Of Good & Evil. He held the part for her and she turned him down. The real "Lady" ended up playing the part and stole the picture. Diana should have done that picture.
    Double Platinum is almost unbearable, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 07-20-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Of all the movies and TV movies [[leaving aside things like Tarzan), Double Platinum was the weakest story and it really didn't take much acting on Diana's part.

Her acting in parts of the Diana 1970 Special was also good.

I will have to dig this film out again, I forgot how good she was in it. It was always a awareness for me because the disease is real. A lot of times folks make fun of the type of character that Diana played but it was heartfelt to say the least and she did an outstanding job.

I always thought Diana should've been on a sitcom especially in the late 60s/early 70s

Diana was not nominated for an Emmy that year [[she was criminally snubbed, if you ask me) She was nominated for a GG the following year.

This film deserved better treatment. It was aired in January of 94 [[not even a sweeps month) receiving little to no promotion. Diana did some press the previous Dec, but it was for the biography, the box set AND the movie all in one. The movie got the short end of the stick.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I always thought Diana should've been on a sitcom especially in the late 60s/early 70s
    She did an episode of Make Room for Granddaddy in the early 70's. But I'm glad she concentrated more on dramatic acting in her roles. Too bad she didn't devote more time to her acting career, she could have become a very good actress. I consider her performance in Lady Sings the Blues an excellent series of good scene study work. She had star quality to spare in Mahogany, but she had a trashy script to overcome and her shrill speaking voice in her upper register exposed her flaw as an actress which training was needed. She was miscast in The Wiz. She's very good in OUt of Darkness, but it was a movie of the week made on the cheap and is more of a public awareness type movie than art. She was well cast in Double Platinum, but again she could only do so much with a pedestrian, cliche ridden script and story.

I believe that Diana was supposed to play the role of Angelica Nero on Dallas, which went to Barbara Carrera [[Fatima Blush in Never Say Never Again). The character turned out to be part of Pam's dream. In a way I'm sort of glad Diana didn't take the role. I'd hate to think of her playing someone who never existed. Perhaps she'd consider doing a brief stint on the continuation of Dallas that's coming out next year. She could play a singer who once had a fling with J.R. and perhaps had a child with him. Maybe they could even have one of Diana's real-life children in the role.

http://youtu.be/L1mJAwoV22Q

supreme_lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post
    Diana was not nominated for an Emmy that year [[she was criminally snubbed, if you ask me) She was nominated for a GG the following year.

This film deserved better treatment. It was aired in January of 94 [[not even a sweeps month) receiving little to no promotion. Diana did some press the previous Dec, but it was for the biography, the box set AND the movie all in one. The movie got the short end of the stick.
    Actually Diana was nominated for an Emmy, I could remember them showing the highlights of the Emmy Awards show on TV and "OUT OF DARKNESS" was one of the nominees and also Diana and Chudney was shown in the audience.

bump........

Awards

It looks like the Out of Darkness nomination was for a Golden Globe, not an Emmy.

But here's a list of the rest:

[edit] Awards in competition[edit] 1965Grammy Awards - Best Rhythm & Blues Recording, "Baby Love" [[nomination) [[with the Supremes)

[edit] 1966Grammy Awards - Best Rock & Roll Vocal Performance, "Stop! In the Name of Love" [[nomination) [[with the Supremes)

[edit] 1971Grammy Awards - Best Pop Female Vocal Performance, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" [[nomination)

Grammy Awards - Best R&B Female Vocal Performance, "Call Me" [[nomination)

[edit] 1973Golden Globe Awards - Most Promising Newcomer, Female [[won)

Golden Globe Awards - Best Actress, "Lady Sings the Blues" [[nomination)

Academy Awards - Best Actress, "Lady Sings the Blues" [[nomination)

New York Film Critics - Best Actress, "Lady Sings the Blues" [[nomination)

Cue Magazine- Entertainer of the Year [[won)

Bafta Film Awards - Best Actress, "Lady Sings the Blues" [[nomination)

[edit] 1974American Music Awards - Favorite Pop/Rock Female Album, Touch Me in the Morning

Grammy Awards - Best Pop Female Vocal Performance, "Touch Me in the Morning" [[nomination)

[edit] 1976Oscar Academy Awards - Best Original Song for a Motion Picture, "Do You Know Where You're Going To [[Theme from Mahogany)" [[nomination)

People's Choice Award- Favorite Motion Picture Actress [[nomination) - lost to Katherine Hepburn

[edit] 1977Tony Awards - Best Musical Special, "An Evening With Diana Ross"

Grammy Awards - Best R&B Female Vocal Performance, "Love Hangover" [[nomination)

[edit] 1978Grammy Awards - Best R&B Female Vocal Performance, "Your Love is So Good For Me" [[nomination)

[edit] 1979Saturn Awards - Best Actress, "The Wiz" [[nomination)

Grammy Awards - Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group, "Ease On Down the Road"[[with Michael Jackson ) [[nomination)

[edit] 1980American Music Awards - Favorite Rhythm and Blues/Soul Female Artist

People's Choice Awards - Favorite Pop Singer [[nomination) lost to Barbara Mandrell

[edit] 1981American Music Awards - Favorite Rhythm and Blues/Soul Single, "Upside Down"

Grammy Awards - Best R&B Female Vocal Performance, "Upside Down" [[nomination)

Cable Ace Awards - General Entertainment [[Music)

[edit] 1982American Music Awards - Favorite Pop/Rock Single, "Endless Love" [[with Lionel Richie)

American Music Awards - Favorite R&B/Soul Single, "Endless Love" [[with Lionel Richie)

Grammy Awards - Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group, "Endless Love" [[with Lionel Richie) [[nomination)

Grammy Awards - Record of the Year, "Endless Love" [[with Lionel Richie) [[nomination)

[edit] 1983Grammy Awards - Best R&B Female Vocal Performance, "Muscles" [[nomination)

American Music Awards - Favorite Rhythm and Blues/Soul Female Artist

[edit] 1995Golden Globe Awards - Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV, "Out of Darkness" [[nomination)

[edit] 2004TV Land Awards - Most Memorable TV Performance, "1983 Concert in Central Park"

[edit] Awards in honor[edit] 1970NAACP Image Awards - Female Entertainer of the Year

[edit] 1976Billboard Award - Female Entertainer of the Century

[edit] 1982Hollywood Walk of Fame - Solo star located at 6712 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA

[edit] 1993Guinness Book of World Records - Most Successful Female Singer of All Time

[edit] 1994Hollywood Walk of Fame - Star with the Supremes located at 7060 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA

MIDEM [[World Music Market) - Lifetime Achievement Award

[edit] 1995Soul Train Music Awards - Heritage Award

[edit] 1996Billboard magazine - Female Entertainer of the Century

Induction - Soul Train Hall of Fame

World Music Awards - Lifetime Achievement Award

[edit] 1998Songwriter's Hall of Fame - The Hitmaker Award

[edit] 1999BET Walk of Fame - Star

[edit] 2000National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences [[NARAS) - Heroes Award

[edit] 2003UK Capital Awards - Legendary Female Artist

National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters - Lifetime Achievement Award

[edit] 2007BET Music Awards - Lifetime Achievement Award

Kennedy Center Honors - John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts for her contributions to entertainment

[edit] Inductions[edit] 1988Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - as member of the Supremes alongside Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson

[edit] 1996Soul Train Hall of Fame

[edit] 1998Vocal Group Hall of Fame - as member of the Supremes

[edit] 1999Grammy Hall of Fame - "Where Did Our Love Go" with the Supremes

[edit] 2001Grammy Hall of Fame - "Stop! In the Name of Love" with the Supremes