[REMOVE ADS]

DeBarge: The Complete Motown Albums

Looks promising!

bump.........

Thanks PJ! I like DeBarge, but I never bought any of their albums or CD's. Now is a good opportunity! Only 4000 copies though??

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks PJ! I like DeBarge, but I never bought any of their albums or CD's. Now is a good opportunity! Only 4000 copies though??
    Carlo, get started! I have all of DeBarge's albums up to "Rhythm of the Night" and then the solo by Bunny and a couple by El and Chico. Good music!!!

Already ordered mine from Amazon.ca, along with all of the Sullivan DVD's!

smark21 Guest
    Anyone see the Unsung on Debarge?

Good deal! But, I have most of their best albums on CD already. Wake me up when someone gets around to reissuing the Switch albums stateside. The Japanese import of the first album is too expensive and rare.

I didn't watch the UnSung on DeBarge. I will have to check it out. I don't know their story, but I have heard it's a rather sad one? I know that El has had a rough past. It seemed like he had fallen off the wagon again a few months ago. I hope he's okay now and is being surrounded by the right people.

Switch yes, Debarge....no way....never got into them but I have one of their albums...have all the Switch LPs

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I didn't watch the UnSung on DeBarge. I will have to check it out. I don't know their story, but I have heard it's a rather sad one? I know that El has had a rough past. It seemed like he had fallen off the wagon again a few months ago. I hope he's okay now and is being surrounded by the right people.
    Carlo, it was sad in a way, but pretty common for large families from the area coming up, back in the day.
    I have friends that went to school and grow up around the DeBarge family.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Switch yes, Debarge....no way....never got into them but I have one of their albums...have all the Switch LPs
    I found a copy of a Japanese CD rip of the first album on the internet through uh...dubious means after my many attempts of trying to find a good vinyl copy of it. And, I made my own very high quality needledrop of the second album from a mint copy. I did one of "This Is My Dream" about a decade ago. I haven't listened to it in almost as long, so I may have to revisit it to see if I need to do it over. But it would be nice to have all three on a legit domestic CD without the compression and brickwalling.

I just bought this 3-CD set. I'm very impressed, and it's a beautiful beautiful set and sounds fantastic! It's one of the most beautiful packages I have ever seen or owned, right down to the booklet and CD labels!

My only complaint is that Harry Weinger substituted the album version of "Time Will Reveal", perhaps my all-time favorite DeBarge song, with a perhaps, previously unreleased, longer version with a cold ending. At least it was never on my original vinyl copy or older CD. Weinger did the same thing with Teena Marie's "It Must be Magic" remaster, replacing the original album-length "Square Biz" with a longer version. It just takes away from the original album listening experience.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly recommend this set!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by soulster; 11-22-2011 at 03:31 AM.

I could not wait to get,Time Will Reveal,The Complete Motown Albums,by DeBarge.great love music,i love it.
    please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I just bought this 3-CD set. I'm very impressed, and it's a beautiful beautiful set and sounds fantastic! It's one of the most beautiful packages I have ever seen or owned, right down to the booklet and CD labels!

My only complaint is that Harry Weinger substituted the album version of "Time Will Reveal", perhaps my all-time favorite DeBarge song, with a perhaps, previously unreleased, longer version with a cold ending. At least it was never on my original vinyl copy or older CD. Weinger did the same thing with Teena Marie's "It Must be Magic" remaster, replacing the original album-length "Square Biz" with a longer version. It just takes away from the original album listening experience.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly recommend this set!
    Yeah, I know - goes against my whole "the album is the album, is the album" thing. But it is the exact same mix, just longer. Tough to resist including a few seconds more. For example, the remaster of Teena's It Must Be Magic has a longer fade on "You Make Love Like Springtime [[Reprise)." Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    Yeah, I know - goes against my whole "the album is the album, is the album" thing. But it is the exact same mix, just longer. Tough to resist including a few seconds more. For example, the remaster of Teena's It Must Be Magic has a longer fade on "You Make Love Like Springtime [[Reprise)." Enjoy!
    Thanks, Harry! Keep 'em coming!

Now I want the Swtich albums mastered as well. I have:

a passable Japanese import of the first Switch album

my beautiful homemade needledrop of the second album

a needledrop of the third album, and that is because the pressing sounds questionable

a UK import CD of the fourth album, which is a tad too bright,

and I never heard the fifth album.

But, it would be nice to have them all redone by Kevin Reeves.

Thumbs up

The DeBARGE set is fantastic! Period!

The liner notes are so-so in the sense I didn't learn anything new which is surprising as there's always so much to learn from Motown remasters liner notes. I was expecting a little something there. Also, no new pictures of the group.

Also, the remix of "Rhythm Of The Night" found on THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION is lacking too on cd 3.

BUT... the remastering is fantastic, as is the music. The bonus extended fade for "Time Will Reveal" has to be there too as it adds a little something to the song.

The set is one of my favourite releases of the year. It happens I listen to it a lot more than many other cds I bought this year.

Thanks Harry & Co. for such great releases.

;-)

JB