[REMOVE ADS]

Who is your favorite supreme?

Who is your favorite supreme?

Three way tie between Flo, Diana and Jean. I love all three of their voices.

After reading Mary's first book, I was interested in hearing Flo's voice, which caused me to pick up Meet the Supremes. I loved Flo's lead singing and her background singing. I became a real fan of the group because of this. In collecting the music, reading the books, finding the interviews, etc, I really appreciate Flo's contributions to the group, both the singing and the personality. She had a wonderful range and I wish there was more Supremes leads for her waiting to be discovered. Fingers always crossed.

Diana was a huge star when I was a small child. I wouldn't say I was particularly wowed by most of her music, although I loved "Swept Away" and "Missing You". In my mind she was no Michael Jackson or Madonna or Whitney Houston or New Edition. Lol But she was alright. I knew some of the Supremes big hits. I particularly remember loving "Where Did Our Love Go" from a compilation album we had called Hits of 1964. I wasn't all that impressed with most of her singing on the Meet album, but as I continued to collect the group's music, I really started enjoying Diana's growth as a vocalist. She had a wonderful way with her voice. And who can argue with the fact that she led the group through so many hits? IMO her voice is one of the greatest ever.

I got introduced to Jean via the GHARC collection. Instantly I fell in love with her voice. I recall really loving "I Had To Fall In Love", all because of Jean. She could literally sing me the phone book and I would have enjoyed every page. As a Supreme I think she brought a vocal magic, similar to Diana, while also bringing in a bit more funkiness to keep with the times. She had a regal bearing that made her look like a real star to me. In the right hands, I think a Jean led Supremes could have done a lot of damage on the charts throughout the 70s.

Diana Ross without doubt. That unique voice emanating from the radio that first caught my ear as a young kid. The others were all great in their own personal way, but no one could ever quite match Diana’s dazzling star quality and charisma.
    I think Mary Wilson as a jazz singer is up there with the very best, but that was much later in her career.

I really love the original three but if I have to pick one its going to be Flo.

Loved her voice, whether it was in the background or on lead. Also love watching her in the video clips. My eyes always go to her when watching those live performances. I think being a down to earth and mischievous person myself, I always found Flo to be the most relatable as well.

Jean, Mary and Flo.

since i like all of the women and for different reasons, i'm going to highlight each lineup and a fav tune from that period

DMFB - totally raw and unaffected vocals, just so much urgency. You Bring Back Memories
    DMF - classic. set the standard that ALL girls groups [[including later incarnations of the supremes) would be compared to. You Can't Hurry Love
    DMC - high glitz. Someday We'll Be Together
    JMC - peace, love and understanding. Stoned Love
    JML - r&b and early funk. 5:30 Plane
    SMC - the best trio blend. You Can't Stop A Girl In Love
    MSS - the most powerful lineup, vocally. Let Yourself Go

Mary from their ascendancy as hitmakers through to around 1983 I guess

I went looking for the songs with the greatest blends and harmonies - I thought that was so great. I loved finding Millie Rose and Mame.

From around LSTB of course I liked Diana more and more- the hits, the movies, the spectacle and of course, the Supremes and most Motown groups were in decline

After Mary started all the B.S. to sell the book etc., she was lost to me. I’ve never enjoyed victims that won’t try to the max to do better. And I didn’t enjoy her over vibrancy - it seemed contrived and a little fake to me

Louvain Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Louvain Demps.
    Yer a bad man, almost as bad as me

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Louvain Demps.
    is she the one who sang the high "AAAAAHH"s on LOVE CHILD ? Love that

jobeterob
    Yer a bad man, almost as bad as me
    Yes , but I have to try harder at it

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    he haw !

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    After Mary started all the B.S. to sell the book etc., she was lost to me. I’ve never enjoyed victims that won’t try to the max to do better. And I didn’t enjoy her over vibrancy - it seemed contrived and a little fake to me
    I always had a hunch you were none to keen.

I didn't become a fan until 1970, so neither Diana Ross or Florence Ballard was in the group at that time. I had to go back and listen to records with them on it. I followed both the Supremes and Diana Ross and looked at them as separate entities really.
    I always enjoyed Mary Wilson. I felt she had such poise and was so beautiful and really enjoyed her voice when we heard it. I thought Cindy offered a great compliment to Mary and they blended nicely visually and vocally. Jean's voice drew me in but by the time she left in 1973, her vocals seemed to have become nasal and shrill and she didn't capture my attention in tv appearances. I liked Scherrie Payne quite a bit as well. She was a powerhouse, very beautiful and also did well on choreography.
    I don't get into post 1977 for any former member.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Until y'all educated me, I always thought that was Diana on the AAAAAHH at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Until y'all educated me, I always thought that was Diana on the AAAAAHH at the beginning.
    Until you educated me, I thought Mary did the Johnny Bristol ad libs on Someday We’ll Be Together

Diana. I fell in love with The Supremes, but it was Diana's voice from the start. Still my favorite voice 60 years on.

Diana...her voice captivated me when I first heard it on "Back in My Arms Again." And when I began watching all of the Supremes' appearances on TV, it was her voice, her beauty, and star quality that kept me a fan of hers for all of these years.

Diana Ross for sure her beautiful beautiful voice much better than Beyoncé and Taylor Swift She has one of the most unique voices in the world next to the floor Ballard she was that girl who any one could be Friends with love her then Cindy
    Ever since I back stabbing batch, put out those Personal gain books for herself, which were a bunch of horse poo I can’t stand her and never will. She’s evil to the core.

Norman Bates is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    LOL. Was wondering if the horse poo was coming from the mare, or was it coming from somewhere else. And to quote BoogieDown.......... hee haw LOLOL

I love them all, but Flo has always been my favourite.

Diana Ross was the one I listened to....her voice, approach and appeal took the group to the top.
    Mary Wilson was the one I watched....I was in love with her the minute she came down the platform in TCB.
    Jean Terrell lifted me...there's no other way to describe what I felt listening to the first 4 JT Lp's.
    Cindy Birdsong just had something that made me love her....easy on the eyes, her softness came through and is pleasant to listen to.
    Scherrie Payne was intoxicating....always made me want more.

I became a fan in '68 when I was 9...right before TCB/ Love Child...I loved the Mary and Cindy combo the best behind ANY lead singer...I like the smooth blend...I am not a big fan of piercing, sonic or loud stand out voices in group harmony....they throw the balance off.....as lead vocalists, Susaye's songs on the last 2 LPS and In The Night I enjoy....Lynda made some excellent recordings as a soloist and recreated Forever Came Today well in the Motorcity period...Florence was great on Good News.
    I've said it before...the live TV work often did nothing to increase the 70's groupings appeal...the ballards often worked [[i.e.I Guess I'll Miss The Man, Walk Away with Udo), but the lipsynched performances of the singles were better...the blown out speedy brass arrangements were terrible...the last trio was a shreikfest live...the Dominion performance of Jean Scherrie and Lynda is far better than any live performance labeled Supremes....and back to Diana...when she sticks to the arrangements and sings, shes still got appeal.....talk shouting the lyrics is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Which reminds me, has anyone checked on the person I call the Ironic Screenname? I've noticed he hasn't been here in awhile. Looks like he hasn't posted since last summer. I have him on ignore so I'm definitely not missing him, but still, I wouldn't want him to not be well. He was a prolific poster around the forum. So much going on these days in the world. Hope he is alright.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Which reminds me, has anyone checked on the person I call the Ironic Screenname? I've noticed he hasn't been here in awhile. Looks like he hasn't posted since last summer. I have him on ignore so I'm definitely not missing him, but still, I wouldn't want him to not be well. He was a prolific poster around the forum. So much going on these days in the world. Hope he is alright.
    who's that?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    who's that?
    PeaceNHarmony

PeaceNHarmony
    There are a hundred similar from the old days - a fair few are deceased

There is little new activity other than some of the Motown stars passing and it seems even Diana is less active which is to be expected

So it has become a bit more of an opinion forum reliving some of the excitement

Midnight Johnny had his show and his remixes, Marv had his opinions and Mary, Mark always had a thoughtful opinion and they are all gone. Berry’s neighbour and his son were here as well.

And some people just plain old move on

PeaceNHarmony
    I swore I was just conversing with him in a thread in recent months. Maybe not.

Hope you're well PeaceNHarmony.

Ironic screen name indeed. You only had to hint Diana Ross might be less than perfect and you were forever branded an evil entity. I would never wish anyone ill, but it’s nice things have moved on from that.

All of them

Although not an official Supreme, i always had a soft spot for Betty.

Which reminds me, has anyone checked on the person I call the Ironic Screenname? I've noticed he hasn't been here in awhile. Looks like he hasn't posted since last summer. I have him on ignore so I'm definitely not missing him, but still,

must be upsetting to be running low on people to ignore
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-11-2024 at 01:48 PM.

If this forum was a 10 for drama back in the day, it’s a 1 now.

Didn’t the message board associated with Universal [[probably for PR purposes) get shut down by them and weren’t we referred here?
    Last edited by jobeterob; 05-11-2024 at 03:46 PM.