[REMOVE ADS]

"WDOLG" Charted Again In 2021

Forgive me if this was posted about previously, but I don't recall us talking about it. Apparently, in 2021, "Where Did Our Love Go" charted on Billboard's R&B Digital Song Sales and R&B/HipHop Digital Song Sales, where it placed at numbers 15 and 23, respectively.

I kept trying to figure out what might have given the song a resurge in popularity. Was it used in a movie or tv show or commercial? Finally it dawned on me that it must have been in the wake of Mary's passing. How appropriate, considering that of all the 60s hits, "Where" is almost a duet between Mary and Diana, Mary's prominent backing vocal often cited as a key element to the success of the song.

to be honest, i've never dug into the digital charts and all. don't really know how they're calculated vs the "old" charts" not sure if it's an apple to apple comparison or not.

The former- It lists the 25 most popular R&B songs, calculated weekly by airplay on rhythmic and urban radio stations, digital download sales and streaming data.

The latter- Top-downloaded R&B and hip-hop songs, ranked by sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan.

Could also be that Soft Cell released a remastered version of TAINTED LOVE in 2021, to commemorate its 40th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Could also be that Soft Cell released a remastered version of TAINTED LOVE in 2021, to commemorate its 40th anniversary.
    On the R&B chart? Not Soft Cell. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    On the R&B chart? Not Soft Cell. Lol
    So then tell me exactly what month WDOLG charted in 2021, cause I'd like to know if your theory that it was due to Mary's death is correct. Is it SO inconceivable that there is a different explanation than your own opinion?

So then tell me exactly what month WDOLG charted in 2021, cause I'd like to know if your theory that it was due to Mary's death is correct. Is it SO inconceivable that there is a different explanation than your own opinion?
    You need a subscription to Billboard to answer that question

I would guess you are right because Mary’s voice is unknown to the general public and not identifiable to the public in WDOLG

I have no issues with there being multiple possible explanations for any one thing and was unaware that I put out the vibe that my opinions are factual and outrank anyone else's. I'll have to be more mindful of that in the future. But in regards to my opinion that this charting is about the Supremes and not Soft Cell, my evidence presented:

1-Soft Cell didn't even score on the R&B chart when their songs were new, so I wouldn't think it a stretch to think it highly unlikely that they would score with an oldie 40 years later. Both charts I referenced state that the charts are made up of the most popular R&B songs, based on airplay on R&B stations, as well as downloads and streaming. I don't think Soft Cell fits an R&B criteria.

2-The chart placements are literally credited to the Supremes, not Soft Cell.

3-The chartings occurred in February 2021, in the wake of Mary's passing.

Based on these things, I've deduced that Soft Cell did not re-chart with their version of "WDOLG", the Supremes re-charted with their version and because of the timing, that it was most likely a result of Mary's death, as I said, her prominent backing vocal being an important component to the success of the song.

Case rested.

I checked out some other Supremes songs and WDOLG seems to be the only one that recharted on the R & B chart so something happened. Wonder if it’s only for a week or two??

i know it recharted on ITunes after Mary Wilson passed away for several weeks

Sounds like David and Ran Ran figured it out. Good digging David

I love me some Marc Almond. Such a charismatic performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I love me some Marc Almond. Such a charismatic performer.
    Is that your endorsement of him maybe taking over as lead when Jean left?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Is that your endorsement of him maybe taking over as lead when Jean left?
    He might have been a little tender in years being only sixteen at the time lol.
    A little older, and he would have made a fabulous addition to the group. I love his version of “WDOLG”.