[REMOVE ADS]

If the Beach Boys Produced for Ms. Ross

I was listening to Kokomo and wondered if the Beach Boys could've done as producers a last RCA album in 1988 for Ross as a tropical theme along the lines of Roberta Flacks Oasis. Could you picture Ross do Kokomo and Oasis? Would you like it or not?

Hmmm..."Oasis" for sure. "Kokomo"? The jury's still out. Loved Ross's tropical, calypso-flavored "Touch by Touch" from Swept Away​. It does make one wish she'd explored that direction more.

rather than just focusing on the Beach Boys, your comment about Kokomo makes me wonder what could have happened if Diana did a movie theme song. a James Bond theme or something

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Hmmm..."Oasis" for sure. "Kokomo"? The jury's still out. Loved Ross's tropical, calypso-flavored "Touch by Touch" from Swept Away​. It does make one wish she'd explored that direction more.
    I have been sleeping on "Touch By Touch", but it's been something of a jam for me in recent weeks. I agree, exploring that direction could have been really interesting.

And I love "Oasis", but never thought of Ross doing it. I think it would have fit her too.

I love The Beach Boys.

Had The Beach Boys produced Ross during the RCA years, she would have found a way to sabotage it’s potential brilliance.

Another one I'd like her to do is Ocean Blue by Jahmark and the Soulshakers from Weekend at Bernies II soundtrack. I wonder if it's too late for her to work with the Beach Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    Another one I'd like her to do is Ocean Blue by Jahmark and the Soulshakers from Weekend at Bernies II soundtrack. I wonder if it's too late for her to work with the Beach Boys.
    I’m guessing it less likely than the expanded Reflections album ever seeing the light of day.

I thought one of the Beach Boys ripped Diana a new one at the RRHOF induction?

I think we have a better chance of getting REFLECTIONS than a BB/Ross collaboration, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I thought one of the Beach Boys ripped Diana a new one at the RRHOF induction?

I think we have a better chance of getting REFLECTIONS than a BB/Ross collaboration, lol.
    It was Mike Love but he didn't really say anything all that bad. He was rambling and commented on Paul McCartney not attending because he was in some sort of problem with the other guys and Yoko. Then he said something like "It really is a bummer when Miss Ross can't make it."

I remember it this way too. Mike Love was apparently feeling the spirit of the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame moment and felt the need to [sarcastically] comment on the absences of two of the most important inductees that night. I love the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson's achievement, but it seems now that Mike Love's contributions have been underrated these past few decades.

Kokomo was one of the last hits written by John Phillips of the Mamas & the Papas.

Of course his daughter went on to have success as 'Wilson Phillips' with two Beach Boy daughters. And occasionally 'Mama Michelle' would join them on stage for performances.