[REMOVE ADS]

BIMAA and Reflections Question

Anyone know if "Back In My Arms Again" and "Reflections" have been in Diana's shows since she left the group? Also was "Back" ever in the act during the 70s Supremes shows?

RTL - 2000
    Both were included.

She did "Reflections" when we saw her at Radio City last year.

she did reflections in her show rather often. apparently in her early solo tours it was there. was also there for the Sup segment on the Evening With lp

Thanks folks.

So as far as the Supremes go, "Back In My Arms Again" was retired after Diana left?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks folks.

So as far as the Supremes go, "Back In My Arms Again" was retired after Diana left?
    actually no - they would only use a snippet but it was often tied in with the end of Come See About Me. they would just sing the first line of the chorus and then segue into another hit. did they do this in the Japan set with JML? i know it was used with MSC and MSS during the 60s hits medley

Hard to include 'Back in My Arms Again' in a solo act with lyrics referencing Mary & Flo.

In RTL Miss Ross had to sing something different - was it 'Oh - she don't know'?

She did both for RTL. I have seen Diana Ross numerous times throughout the years. She has has done “Reflections” at several of the shows. It’s a favorite of mine live.

REFLECTIONS was the opening song in the Rock and Roll/ Supremes medley she used to do in the early 80s.

As someone posted earlier, when Jean first joined a new medley of 60s hits was assembled and as Jean sang the lead on Come See About Me, Mary and Cindy threw in a verse from Baby Love and then from Back In My Arms Again. That lasted about a year and then Back In My Arms was never in a Supremes show again to my remembrance.

Mary used to do a full length version of Back in her Supremes show. I don't remember if she did Reflections, I don't think so.

i thought i heard mary doing reflections in the early 90s but can't remember. I would guess that she would sort of rotate songs in and out, if for no other reason than to keep things interesting for herself

I also thought that quick line from BIMAA also popped up in the 60s medley with MSS at Caesar's. the medley was truly odd - would have to replay it to know exactly what went where but i know they did WDOLG and BL but they also focused on songs that had a sort of theme of "stuck" or "get you" lol. they did YKMHO and Heartaches and Itching but then they would sort of emphasis the "i can't break away" "love is like an itching, tearing it all apart" "Set me free why don't you" because [[and i'm guessing here) they were all in the uni-dress and so they were probably trying to play up the "get away from me" aspect between the lyrics and the gown.

I'm not sure if this whole concept was the result of mountains of cocaine or what but i'm not sure if you could actually come up with something more ill conceived lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i thought i heard mary doing reflections in the early 90s but can't remember. I would guess that she would sort of rotate songs in and out, if for no other reason than to keep things interesting for herself
    I attended a concert of Mary's where she did REFLECTIONS, somewhere circa 1994. I think it was her third number after LOVE CHILD and the Rascals GOOD LOVIN'.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Hard to include 'Back in My Arms Again' in a solo act with lyrics referencing Mary & Flo.
    While I think the "Mary" reference would have been way too weird during RTL, outside of that I wouldn't think Diana singing a Supremes song and referencing her singing partners who sung on the song would be a difficult thing to do.

I also thought that quick line from BIMAA also popped up in the 60s medley with MSS at Caesar's. the medley was truly odd - would have to replay it to know exactly what went where but i know they did WDOLG and BL but they also focused on songs that had a sort of theme of "stuck" or "get you" lol. they did YKMHO and Heartaches and Itching but then they would sort of emphasis the "i can't break away" "love is like an itching, tearing it all apart" "Set me free why don't you" because [[and i'm guessing here) they were all in the uni-dress and so they were probably trying to play up the "get away from me" aspect between the lyrics and the gown.

I'm not sure if this whole concept was the result of mountains of cocaine or what but i'm not sure if you could actually come up with something more ill conceived lol
    I didn't realize "Heartaches" had made it into the act in any form at that point. I'll have to check my collection and see if I have that medley.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I didn't realize "Heartaches" had made it into the act in any form at that point. I'll have to check my collection and see if I have that medley.
    it's quite an odd medley, to say the least. the previous hits medley they had used [[like the live version with MSS on Mike Douglas) seemed to be a bit more of a representation of the "hits" whereas this Caesar version is good songs but curious selections

then again, Diana adding Itching into her medleys in the 80s and into the early 90s. was it also in the medley for the tv special in the 70s, i think the special for Evening With? of course Itching is a good song and it's a fav for some fans. but it is a lesser known tune and if you're only included 4 or 5 Sups songs, i don't know that this would be one to make the cut. sure for die-hard fans they love the more obscure. but for the avg public to not hear something like YCHL or BL would be odd, IMO

then again, Diana adding Itching into her medleys in the 80s and into the early 90s. was it also in the medley for the tv special in the 70s, i think the special for Evening With? of course Itching is a good song and it's a fav for some fans. but it is a lesser known tune and if you're only included 4 or 5 Sups songs, i don't know that this would be one to make the cut. sure for die-hard fans they love the more obscure. but for the avg public to not hear something like YCHL or BL would be odd, IMO
    She didn't have a Supremes medley in her 1977 special. Instead there was a great montage of Supremes appearances. But she did use the instrumental track of ITCHING for the opening of the special.

I gather ITCHING is a fave of Diana's, as it subsequently made it into some of her other Supremes medleys. I was so disappointed when I saw some of her 90s shows and she had dropped it.

REFLECTIONS was also included in AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS.

Mary often did Reflections in her show and it's one of the Ross led Supremes songs that she did well with.

Mary did Back in My Arms again a lot as well, usually inserting the names of whoever was her background singers for the Mary/Flo call outs from the original song. It was cute. Back was usually part of an extended performance in which she started with You Can't Hurry Love which segued into Come See About Me then concluded with Back. I never cared for Mary singing lead on You Can't Hurry Love as it just seemed to go on aimlessly, but the segment does pick up once it gets to Come see About Me, and the Back in my Arms part of the performance was usually fun and energetic so Mary did a good job in her live shows performing Back In My Arms Again.

I don’t recall heartaches in anything, but of course I never saw every show. it would seem a rather odd song to put in. As far as the three in one dress, I never saw that either, but Mary told me about it before they had ever attempted it. I don’t even know if it had been made yet, but she was very excited about it. I saw Hair twice and I’m not quite sure what was supposed to be so funny about the single dress. Or whatever they were trying to say it was lost on me. I know that they were commenting on the glam and crossover appeal, but the one dress bit itself I don’t get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t recall heartaches in anything, but of course I never saw every show. it would seem a rather odd song to put in. As far as the three in one dress, I never saw that either, but Mary told me about it before they had ever attempted it. I don’t even know if it had been made yet, but she was very excited about it. I saw Hair twice and I’m not quite sure what was supposed to be so funny about the single dress. Or whatever they were trying to say it was lost on me. I know that they were commenting on the glam and crossover appeal, but the one dress bit itself I don’t get.
    i have an audio of the Caesar show. there are moments when the audience is quite engaged and happy, like at the end of Maybe This Time.

for the hits medley, there's a voice doing a [[poor) impression of Ed Sullivan and then the group does the medley. i too was surprised about the song selection but Heartaches is right there. of course i only have the audio so i can't see what the choreography was. but the medley definitely includes these "get away from me" types of songs and lyrics so my assumption is they were trying to play up the single dress and "break away" from one another. or some nonsense like that.

aside from the obvious issues of this lunacy lol, another problem is there is 0 mention or connection or acknowledgement of 'Hair' in order for the audience to know what the F they're mocking. this was Dec 76 so 8 years or so AFTER Hair was the big excitement. and the movie of Hair didn't come out until 79. plus the typical Vegas audience probably wasn't super into Hair anyway. you have a much more "midwest" vibe to audiences there, older, more conservative. maybe in San Fran this could have worked more.

the medley goes

Baby Love although sounds like Susaye starts out wrong with WDOLG but then they all sing WDOLG. the intro is absolutely the BL intro and with the oooooo. but who knows. it's a mess. susaye lead
    nothing but heartaches combined with BIMAA "how can Scherrie tell me what to do when she lost her love so true. and Su, she never knew that the boy she loves is a Romeo". Mary is doing lead "I got him back in my arms again. He brings nothing but heartaches" meanwhile S and S are singing I Can't Break Away
    Love is like an itching - susaye lead
    YKMHO - scherrie lead

the whole thing is not even 4 mins long