[REMOVE ADS]

Ross / favorite era

Just curious with Diana having had such a long career, do you have a favorite era or time frame.
    Mine would be
    1.64-67
    2.76-81

My fav Ross albums,
    Dr 76
    Baby it's me
    Boss
    Diana

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Just curious with Diana having had such a long career, do you have a favorite era or time frame.
    Mine would be
    1.64-67
    2.76-81

My fav Ross albums,
    Dr 76
    Baby it's me
    Boss
    Diana
    Your favorites [eras & albums] are exactly the same as mine!

79-80 was the highlight for me.

And then, sadly, it all went downhill.

Vocally, her output around the the early 70s focusing on her 1973 Touch Me in the Morning and the Diana & Marvin album. Her voice is so rich sounding on each.

As a Supreme, it would be 62-67. As a solo, it's hard for me to pin it down because of the pros and cons. For me, I love the period when Diana was just a pure singer, when her voice was the centerpiece, not all the razzle dazzle, from 70-75. Unfortunately, she didn't do much TV during that time. On the other hand, from 76-81, her stage show was on fire and she was in fantastic voice. She also did quite a bit of TV. But even though she sounded absolutely fantastic, IMO her voice took a backseat to all the frills and thrills of the show productions. The focus became "wow, look at her" vs "wow, listen to her".

That's the best way I can describe my favorite Ross eras. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As a Supreme, it would be 62-67. As a solo, it's hard for me to pin it down because of the pros and cons. For me, I love the period when Diana was just a pure singer, when her voice was the centerpiece, not all the razzle dazzle, from 70-75. Unfortunately, she didn't do much TV during that time. On the other hand, from 76-81, her stage show was on fire and she was in fantastic voice. She also did quite a bit of TV. But even though she sounded absolutely fantastic, IMO her voice took a backseat to all the frills and thrills of the show productions. The focus became "wow, look at her" vs "wow, listen to her".

That's the best way I can describe my favorite Ross eras. Lol
    Understand what you're saying about the Ross early solo years. I thought maybe it was my being nostalgic but you pointing out the change in her persona as superstar status descended and maybe that's it as well. I just have fondness for those first 3 solo albums. But as you say not much touring. But her supper shows at the Empire room blew me away. Like this thread though!

64 - 68
    70 - 71
    77 - 79

After she left Motown I did like quite a few singles but no albums.

63 to 81 were all brilliant in different ways. As already mentioned, after that the singing took a backseat to other elements of the show.

yeah i definitely see things as blocks or "eras"

pre-64: Diana's voice definitely has a youthfulness to it. there's less control, partly because she often had to sing in a much higher register. she is singing like and as a teenager

64 - early 66: this is Diana's "college years" lol she still has a youthfulness but there's more control. often she's using her lower range

66 - 67: this is really where i think Diana's artistry starts to shine. her lead on YCHL is a major change. her voice is more mature, deeper [[both in tone and sound). there's more substance, especially as she went into the R&H material

68 - 69: this is a continuation of the last phase. the maturity is just expanding even more so

70 - 72: early solo voice. she's taking more risks, experimenting more, pushing herself. but she still had lots of elements of "diana ross, former Supreme"

73: she now has a much more jazz influenced approach to music, combined with motherhood. the impact of her time exploring Lady just simply can't be measured. it was such a major milestone

remainder of the 70s: i don't know if i really hear her change all that much through the rest of the decade, in terms of a major shift in things. she's really just settling more and more into "DIANA ROSS" with it peaking with The Boss sessions. i think that's the most alive and invigorated she has ever sounded on record. she's now singing really as a woman empowered

80s: this is hard to really categorize as much of the music was sub-par, especially her own productions.

90s: she's no longer youthful or an ingenue but now a mature woman, a Grande Dame so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yeah i definitely see things as blocks or "eras"

pre-64: Diana's voice definitely has a youthfulness to it. there's less control, partly because she often had to sing in a much higher register. she is singing like and as a teenager

64 - early 66: this is Diana's "college years" lol she still has a youthfulness but there's more control. often she's using her lower range

66 - 67: this is really where i think Diana's artistry starts to shine. her lead on YCHL is a major change. her voice is more mature, deeper [[both in tone and sound). there's more substance, especially as she went into the R&H material

68 - 69: this is a continuation of the last phase. the maturity is just expanding even more so

70 - 72: early solo voice. she's taking more risks, experimenting more, pushing herself. but she still had lots of elements of "diana ross, former Supreme"

73: she now has a much more jazz influenced approach to music, combined with motherhood. the impact of her time exploring Lady just simply can't be measured. it was such a major milestone

remainder of the 70s: i don't know if i really hear her change all that much through the rest of the decade, in terms of a major shift in things. she's really just settling more and more into "DIANA ROSS" with it peaking with The Boss sessions. i think that's the most alive and invigorated she has ever sounded on record. she's now singing really as a woman empowered

80s: this is hard to really categorize as much of the music was sub-par, especially her own productions.

90s: she's no longer youthful or an ingenue but now a mature woman, a Grande Dame so to speak.
    A good breakdown sup.

She became a much better, sincere interpreter when she took control of her own destiny, starting in 79.