It seems to me that Motown was always quite indifferent to Mary Wilson. I don't understand why. She was certainly extremely attractive and photogenic. She was clearly one third of the Supremes, adding a distinctive lower voice to the group dynamic and a visual poise ,elegance and sophistication to their performances. In fact, one of the Hollands wanted her for the lead on Where Did Our Love Go and her background vocals are very distinctive and hypnotic against Diana's lead. So, why didn't Motown like her?
When Flo left and it became DRATS, they caused a shift in dynamic. I am sure Mary was on her guard after what happened to Flo. There was probably a deep unresolved tension between Diana and Mary. It probably no longer felt like a group and she was merely working to support Diana's solo aspirations. Mary always provided a happy go lucky presence but behind the scenes we don't know if she became difficult. DRATS was probably 3 years of tension for Motown.
When Diana left, the focus was more on her solo aspirations at Motown than on keeping the new Supremes on top. Berry allegedly wanted Syreeta to replace Jean but was told no. They were still the Supremes, though, and the name meant something and would bring in cash so it seems Motown supported that but certainly not Mary.
I just wonder why Motown wasn't behind Mary. A beautiful woman with a warm ballad voice, she could have easily been Motown's balladeer. It doesn't seem like she was friendly with those at Motown who controlled careers. Yes, she was buddies with some other group members but she wasn't seemingly with Berry or the likes of Smokey and Stevie. Was Mary difficult to work with? Unambitious? Unlikeable? Her talents at odds with the standard Motown sound? Her relations with Diana in the group cause others to choose sides and no one in power was siding against the powers of Diana & Berry? Was Mary so much of a party girl that her work ethic suffered?
I understand that Motown grew weary of the changes in the group in the 1970's and that it seemed that whoever came in seemed to have difficulties with Mary, who as the only original had the most say by this time. I understand Motown did not like Mary's husband Pedro having control of the group, that they did not like him. Mary becoming so litigious probably didn't endear her to Motown. Her solo career only came about because she had a good case against Motown. They treated her like a throw away, gave her material that didn't play to her strengths. But, still after all those years, it seemed no one at Motown was on her side. My big question is why? Mary had talent, she was beautiful and was fully one third of the biggest act at Motown and she seemed to be treated like a second class citizen.
So, why didn't Motown like Mary Wilson?