[REMOVE ADS]

Susaye Led IGLMHDTW

Susaye sounding very Denise Williams on this version of the song. It’s lighter, brighter and kinda more fun than the Scherrie led version which might well have made all the difference. It’s also the kind of high pitched voice the general public associated with lead singer of the Supremes.
    All key factors in what might have been imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Susaye sounding very Denise Williams on this version of the song. It’s lighter, brighter and kinda more fun than the Scherrie led version which might well have made all the difference. It’s also the kind of high pitched voice the general public associated with lead singer of the Supremes.
    All key factors in what might have been imo.
    I love Susaye’s version and agree it’s more fun but Scherrie’s was way more commercial. Scherrie belts it out but stays faithful to the melody. Susaye tends to plays around with it and there are moments it can be a bit hard to figure out what she’s singing. It’s fun but not commercial. Had the Hollands released this version over Scherrie’s, I don’t think it would have not gone top 40.

I like it but I miss Scherrie's ad libs in the intro.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I love Susaye’s version and agree it’s more fun but Scherrie’s was way more commercial. Scherrie belts it out but stays faithful to the melody. Susaye tends to plays around with it and there are moments it can be a bit hard to figure out what she’s singing. It’s fun but not commercial. Had the Hollands released this version over Scherrie’s, I don’t think it would have not gone top 40.
    .I totally agree that it feels more airy and fun but there are moments that she is playing too much and it is not as understandable. Yes, it is a high voice like Diana and Jean but the version here is not as commercial. Scherrie starts it out so well with her ad lib and that just brings you right into the song where here you have to wait. The Hollands did well to include Susaye's ad libs in the released version but Scherrie's was the real winner. I agree that this would not have hit top 40.

I've never cared for this, although I'm glad we have it. To my ears Susaye doesn't give the lyrics any depth. She's just singing it, throwing in some of her trademark notes. Give me Scherrie's version. But then I'm not a fan of Susaye's voice, with the exceptions being "High Energy" and New Birth's "Until It's Time For You To Go".

Glad to have this extra take on it.

What it points out to me is how excellent The Supremes sound in their supporting role no matter who leads. They put the Andantes to shame here!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-08-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I've never cared for this, although I'm glad we have it. To my ears Susaye doesn't give the lyrics any depth. She's just singing it, throwing in some of her trademark notes. Give me Scherrie's version. But then I'm not a fan of Susaye's voice, with the exceptions being "High Energy" and New Birth's "Until It's Time For You To Go".
    This is a good synopsis of how I feel about this version

I think the Hollands took the best parts of Susaye's take and mixed it well into the final product. But overall I find Susaye's diction at times mushy, and overall she sounds squeaky.

Love it....Love it....Love it... and I love Susaye but that lead belongs to Scherrie. Scherrie's version has a bit of a bite to it.

given susaye's other great work, i'm going to wager that the Hollands asked her to "just go for it" with this version. anyone that's heard Susaye's stunning version of My Funny Valentine knows that she is wonderfully capable of delivering a melody line.

supposedly back in the 60s, the producers at motown would have all of the instrumentalists play the full song. like the sax on Symphony or Baby Love. but then edit them in and out for key spotlights. they never intended to use the full recording of each but did this to allow for the greatest flexibility while mixing

very possible that is what the Hollands did here. just told Susaye to go for it and ad lib the F out of this because they already had the idea that they were going to layer this on top of the track to elevate the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I disagree brad. I prefer this version, but only just. As it stands, the song hardly set the charts alight, but think Susaye’s lighter, more pop approach might have been better suited for mainstream radio.

I gave this a shot and it's good, but to me, Scherrie is a lot more understandable. I just think she sells it better. I think Scherrie really jumped out the radio back in the day.

Agreed, in her version the diction irks me, and I feel she goes nowhere in the song, she to me is very plateau, and there’s no movement/feeling. Scherrie takes you on a roller coaster when she sings showing off her vocal range while Susaye just stays in her higher registry, which is not impressive when it’s your natural voice. IMO

I enjoy Susaye's solo version, it doesn't necessarily top Scherrie's lead, but for what it was, I'm glad they were able to put this on the Final Sessions box set.

Now, I'm paraphrasing here, and apologies in advance if I lose some details in that. I recall Susaye telling the story behind this in her Yahoo Club/Group, and this would have been nearly a decade before it was officially released. I remember her saying that she and her mother had a meeting with Berry, which apparently Mary & Pedro were none too pleased about when they heard, supposedly to discuss having a greater role on their upcoming LP. To placate them, Berry apparently personally took her into the studio to record a lead vocal on their upcoming single. I sort of recall her saying she felt some guilt about that after, but I am glad that Brian Holland was able to punch in some of her ad-libs to the final mix, they do elevate the finished version quite beautifully, I think.
    Last edited by telekin; 04-08-2024 at 07:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by telekin View Post
    I enjoy Susaye's solo version, it doesn't necessarily top Scherrie's lead, but for what it was, I'm glad they were able to put this on the Final Sessions box set.

Now, I'm paraphrasing here, and apologies in advance if I lose some details in that. I recall Susaye telling the story behind this in her Yahoo Club/Group, and this would have been nearly a decade before it was officially released. I recall her saying that she and her mother had a meeting with Berry, which apparently Mary & Pedro were none too pleased about when they heard, supposedly to discuss having a greater role on their upcoming LP. And Berry apparently personally took her into the studio to record a lead vocal on their upcoming single. I sort of recall her saying she felt some guilt about that after, but I am glad that Brian Holland was able to punch in some of her ad-libs to the final mix, they do elevate the finished version quite beautifully, I think.
    i think Bayou and some others have commented that motown expressed interest in releasing the song "high energy" as a single, as a follow up to Walking. Minnie Ripperton had released Lovin' You just a year prior and so it would be understandable for motown to be intrigued with a vocalist with similar talents. I think the story is that motown's lawyer Ralph somethingorother helped bring her about. of course Susaye was already working with Stevie so she was already "part of the overall motown family" but i think Ralph and susaye's mother were at a luncheon together and he mentioned that there might be an opportunity with the Sups.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think the story is that motown's lawyer Ralph somethingorother helped bring her about. of course Susaye was already working with Stevie so she was already "part of the overall motown family" but i think Ralph and susaye's mother were at a luncheon together and he mentioned that there might be an opportunity with the Sups.
    I believe it was Motown's head of publicity, Bob Jones, who helped facilitate Susaye's entry into the group. He and her mother Viviane were on the board of the Beverly Hills branch of the NAACP, if I'm not mistaken.

https://talentspotlightmagazine.net/...susaye-greene/
    Last edited by telekin; 04-08-2024 at 07:16 PM.

I think this is a case of someone with a spectacular voice - but just because Susaye is a great singer doesn’t mean you are going to be commercial and have hits.

In terms of singing, in her day Susaye may have been a better singer than Beyonce and Diana - but it didn’t matter

I agree with Brad. Now I don't believe that commercial popular music is a thing. Songs become hits for all kinds of reasons and all the hit songs throughout the charting era have their own things going on and don't have to have anything in common with any of the others. Still, as Bobby points out, Scherrie really jumps out, and it's my opinion that she does so in a way that Susaye does not. Could Susaye's version have been a hit? Sure. But if I were in charge and had the job to choose as the version to release, I can't imagine in a million years that I would even entertain releasing Susaye's over Scherrie's. As the release goes, it is criminal that it didn't hit the top 10. I think it's one of only a handful of songs [[if that) during the Scherrie years that I place faith in its ability to have become a major hit.

Quote Originally Posted by telekin View Post
    I believe it was Motown's head of publicity, Bob Jones, who helped facilitate Susaye's entry into the group. He and her mother Viviane were on the board of the Beverly Hills branch of the NAACP, if I'm not mistaken.

https://talentspotlightmagazine.net/...susaye-greene/
    yes! that's right!

I think to some degree it was more to do with the sound and style the general public associated with the Supremes. Had Scherrie been lead on “Up The Ladder To The Roof”, i doubt the record would have sold as well as it did, despite it being an ultra commercial song and Scherrie a great singer.
    I may be wrong, but i think some of this applies to the “Heart Do The Walking”.

a hit song is very often the result of the right combination of elements - the right song with the right vocal and the right production released at the right time.

someone recently posted the question of if jean could have done the disco material. hard to say because we've all become so accustomed to the voices that were. Jean's sound and image and style was perform for that early 70s period. she made Stoned Love and Ladder totally her own. but the same can be said for Scherrie. she just had a special "something" and i think her sound and image was perfect for the disco era. and when given something special like Walking or Let Yourself Go or the material on MS&S, it was flawless.

well that style of voice did sound good in the clubs [in measured amounts]

someone recently posted the question of if jean could have done the disco material. hard to say because we've all become so accustomed to the voices that were. Jean's sound and image and style was perform for that early 70s period. she made Stoned Love and Ladder totally her own. but the same can be said for Scherrie. she just had a special "something" and i think her sound and image was perfect for the disco era. and when given something special like Walking or Let Yourself Go or the material on MS&S, it was flawless.
    Given that Diana would forever cast a long shadow over the group, was it a voice the public ever wanted or even associated with the Supremes.
    The material on both HE and MS&S was too notch, but still there were no takers.

Given that Diana would forever cast a long shadow over the group, was it a voice the public ever wanted or even associated with the Supremes.
    Sadly, not really a voice that was wanted or associated with the Supremes. And especially there were no takers by the time of MSS.

But I believe music just moved on from the Supremes and from groups generally in the 70’s.

There could have been a place for the Supremes but it would required thought, good management and perseverance - and all went missing for them in the 70’s

I think to some degree it was more to do with the sound and style the general public associated with the Supremes. Had Scherrie been lead on “Up The Ladder To The Roof”, i doubt the record would have sold as well as it did, despite it being an ultra commercial song and Scherrie a great singer.
    I may be wrong, but i think some of this applies to the “Heart Do The Walking”.
    Oh I definitely agree about the sound and style associated with the group. I've said before that, IMO, Scherrie's voice was off brand. While the Supremes were now a real multi lead group, clearly Motown set it up where Scherrie was the unofficial lead singer, as she was given the lead on all but one single and co lead on another. One could make the case that by this point "branding" didn't matter because this was hardly your mama's Supremes anymore. But I do think the group may have had an easier go if the lady who replaced Jean had a voice that had things in common with Jean and Diana. Susaye just doesn't do it for me, especially on this song.

I almost wish Mary had managed to get to Deniece Williams before her solo career blew up.

If you notice with the exception of Where do I go from here, all of the singles were a Scherrie A side and a Mary B side. And of course the share leads. In a way it was showing the it was co leads even if they preferred Scherrie
    Oh I definitely agree about the sound and style associated with the group. I've said before that, IMO, Scherrie's voice was off brand. While the Supremes were now a real multi lead group, clearly Motown set it up where Scherrie was the unofficial lead singer, as she was given the lead on all but one single and co lead on another. One could make the case that by this point "branding" didn't matter because this was hardly your mama's Supremes anymore. But I do think the group may have had an easier go if the lady who replaced Jean had a voice that had things in common with Jean and Diana. Susaye just doesn't do it for me, especially on this song.

I almost wish Mary had managed to get to Deniece Williams before her solo career blew up.

..... very measured amounts

Not sure about the lovely Denise Williams, but there was the perfect type voice in pop/soul singer Linda Carr.
    Check her out singing the hit “High Wire” on you tube. Vey Dianaish.

the HE album performed rather well. it charted at 42 which isn't a terrible showing. Farewell only got to 46, Talk of the Town 57, Together 28, cream of the crop 33, Greatest Hits 3 31.

and the single Walking, while only hitting 40 on the pop charts, had a very long duration on the charts. it spent 14 weeks on the charts which is a long time. so i think there was a market for the sound and the group. the Sups were definitely an established entity, glamour was re-emerging have the more natural, folksy granola look of the early 70s. they were hitting a new sound with this "you go girl!" vibe with Walking that was strong, an aggressive dance beat, high-flying vocals. so if things could have been properly aligned, it's quite possible the sups could have had a strong resurgence. but the internal mess of the group and management pretty much assured that nothing could really come of it

Had the album charted as high as those Diana Ross & Supremes albums mentioned at #28, #31 or #33 i would say that it charted reasonably well. Farewell and Talk Of The Town being live albums released at a time of product overkill.
    I still stand by Scherrie being the wrong voice for the time, but if the group could have held out until The 80’s, they may have re- emerged.
    Their future was riding on the success of that first single from the excellent MS&S.
    Sadly “Driving Wheel” proved a comprehensive nail in the coffin when chosen over far more radio friendly songs. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    If you notice with the exception of Where do I go from here, all of the singles were a Scherrie A side and a Mary B side. And of course the share leads. In a way it was showing the it was co leads even if they preferred Scherrie
    Yes, hence my comment about them being a multi lead group. But truth be told, even switching back and forth between Scherrie and Mary, Mary's voice was off brand too, as she sounds even less like anything remotely close to Diana and Jean. Lol However, to Mary's credit, I do think her voice had a sophistication that was on brand, which is why "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You" is also one of the few songs cut during that time that I believe could have been a major hit.

Not sure about the lovely Denise Williams, but there was the perfect type voice in pop/soul singer Linda Carr.
    Check her out singing the hit “High Wire” on you tube. Vey Dianaish.
    I think Deniece checked all the boxes. I have a couple of Linda's songs in my collection. "High Wire" is one, though I rarely listen to it. Her version of "I Feel a Song" is pretty good, but the only thing I've heard that wowed me as far as her voice is her song "In My Life". She killed that. But I would probably pass on her taking Jean's place. I don't find Linda's voice sophisticated enough for lead Supreme, nor do I find it "warm" enough. But who knows? Might have worked.

they were hitting a new sound with this "you go girl!" vibe with Walking that was strong, an aggressive dance beat, high-flying vocals. so if things could have been properly aligned, it's quite possible the sups could have had a strong resurgence.
    Their future was riding on the success of that first single from the excellent MS&S.
    Sadly “Driving Wheel” proved a comprehensive nail in the coffin when chosen over far more radio friendly songs. The rest is history.
    IMO almost everything went off brand once Jean left. Sup is right, those Scherrie singles have an aggressive sound and they lack the sophistication element that was a hallmark of the name SUPREMES. I know some of y'all are really on board with the change in styles, embracing the emerging disco sounds, for the group. I just can't be convinced this was the direction to go in to make the group profitable again.

I don't know why "High Energy" didn't work. Maybe it needed a better chorus? I remember my cousin saying it sounds like they're singing "I need cheese". Lol But I dig the track, the verses are nice, and Susaye does a great job with it. But are these dates correct: was "High Energy" released as a single a month or so after "Walking"? If so, what kind of sense did that make?

"Can't Stop a Girl" and "Color My World Blue" is more in line with what I think the group should have been doing. It's pop, it's R&B, they're danceable, but it's not too frantic. Those should have been the two singles from Supremes75. I won't argue against "Walking" or "Energy" from HE, but I definitely think "Teardrops" should have been a single.

I was today years old when I found out that Ivey and Woodford would go on to write and produce Hot's "Angel In Your Arms", a song I've mentioned a dozen times would have been perfect for the Supremes. How crazy is that?

If I’m correct HE was never officially a single
    IMO almost everything went off brand once Jean left. Sup is right, those Scherrie singles have an aggressive sound and they lack the sophistication element that was a hallmark of the name SUPREMES. I know some of y'all are really on board with the change in styles, embracing the emerging disco sounds, for the group. I just can't be convinced this was the direction to go in to make the group profitable again.

I don't know why "High Energy" didn't work. Maybe it needed a better chorus? I remember my cousin saying it sounds like they're singing "I need cheese". Lol But I dig the track, the verses are nice, and Susaye does a great job with it. But are these dates correct: was "High Energy" released as a single a month or so after "Walking"? If so, what kind of sense did that make?

"Can't Stop a Girl" and "Color My World Blue" is more in line with what I think the group should have been doing. It's pop, it's R&B, they're danceable, but it's not too frantic. Those should have been the two singles from Supremes75. I won't argue against "Walking" or "Energy" from HE, but I definitely think "Teardrops" should have been a single.

I was today years old when I found out that Ivey and Woodford would go on to write and produce Hot's "Angel In Your Arms", a song I've mentioned a dozen times would have been perfect for the Supremes. How crazy is that?

I love Susayes version of IGLMHDTW.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    If I’m correct HE was never officially a single
    I believe it was released as the 2nd single from the HE lp, after WALKING.

I don’t think it was an official single, I know it charted on the dance charts along with Walking.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Although I appreciate her artistic interpretation, I am not feeling this at all. It also feels like something is missing production wise. Is this just a demo/unfinished version?

I think Deniece checked all the boxes. I have a couple of Linda's songs in my collection. "High Wire" is one, though I rarely listen to it. Her version of "I Feel a Song" is pretty good, but the only thing I've heard that wowed me as far as her voice is her song "In My Life". She killed that. But I would probably pass on her taking Jean's place. I don't find Linda's voice sophisticated enough for lead Supreme, nor do I find it "warm" enough. But who knows? Might have worked.
    I’m impressed. Given your youthful years, i thought you were going to think Linda who??.
    You may be right about the lack of vocal sophistication not being Supreme enough.
    By the same token, i think Deniece Williams voice to delicate and pretty to handle those Supremes songs. Something sweet, but a little more robust was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    there was never a 2nd single from the album. HE was considered apparently for a possible single but never released. on the disco charts HE charted but it wasn't necessary for a tune to be a single to chart on the disco charts. sometimes the entire lp would chart or just a few of the tunes.