[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I enjoy Susaye's solo version, it doesn't necessarily top Scherrie's lead, but for what it was, I'm glad they were able to put this on the Final Sessions box set.

Now, I'm paraphrasing here, and apologies in advance if I lose some details in that. I recall Susaye telling the story behind this in her Yahoo Club/Group, and this would have been nearly a decade before it was officially released. I remember her saying that she and her mother had a meeting with Berry, which apparently Mary & Pedro were none too pleased about when they heard, supposedly to discuss having a greater role on their upcoming LP. To placate them, Berry apparently personally took her into the studio to record a lead vocal on their upcoming single. I sort of recall her saying she felt some guilt about that after, but I am glad that Brian Holland was able to punch in some of her ad-libs to the final mix, they do elevate the finished version quite beautifully, I think.
    Last edited by telekin; 04-08-2024 at 07:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by telekin View Post
    I enjoy Susaye's solo version, it doesn't necessarily top Scherrie's lead, but for what it was, I'm glad they were able to put this on the Final Sessions box set.

Now, I'm paraphrasing here, and apologies in advance if I lose some details in that. I recall Susaye telling the story behind this in her Yahoo Club/Group, and this would have been nearly a decade before it was officially released. I recall her saying that she and her mother had a meeting with Berry, which apparently Mary & Pedro were none too pleased about when they heard, supposedly to discuss having a greater role on their upcoming LP. And Berry apparently personally took her into the studio to record a lead vocal on their upcoming single. I sort of recall her saying she felt some guilt about that after, but I am glad that Brian Holland was able to punch in some of her ad-libs to the final mix, they do elevate the finished version quite beautifully, I think.
    i think Bayou and some others have commented that motown expressed interest in releasing the song "high energy" as a single, as a follow up to Walking. Minnie Ripperton had released Lovin' You just a year prior and so it would be understandable for motown to be intrigued with a vocalist with similar talents. I think the story is that motown's lawyer Ralph somethingorother helped bring her about. of course Susaye was already working with Stevie so she was already "part of the overall motown family" but i think Ralph and susaye's mother were at a luncheon together and he mentioned that there might be an opportunity with the Sups.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think the story is that motown's lawyer Ralph somethingorother helped bring her about. of course Susaye was already working with Stevie so she was already "part of the overall motown family" but i think Ralph and susaye's mother were at a luncheon together and he mentioned that there might be an opportunity with the Sups.
    I believe it was Motown's head of publicity, Bob Jones, who helped facilitate Susaye's entry into the group. He and her mother Viviane were on the board of the Beverly Hills branch of the NAACP, if I'm not mistaken.

https://talentspotlightmagazine.net/...susaye-greene/
    Last edited by telekin; 04-08-2024 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by telekin View Post
    I believe it was Motown's head of publicity, Bob Jones, who helped facilitate Susaye's entry into the group. He and her mother Viviane were on the board of the Beverly Hills branch of the NAACP, if I'm not mistaken.

https://talentspotlightmagazine.net/...susaye-greene/
    yes! that's right!