[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Cindy Says

Cindy Says

In a 1974 Fan Club Newsletter, Cindy is quoted that the Supremes have aspirations for their own Variety Show. Cher, Sonny, Tony Orlando and Dawn, and later, Captain and Tennille, Donny and Marie, and the Jackson's would have their own shows. Would one with the Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie, Cindy) have worked?

I always thought Mary's "acting" was cornball; too animated, over the top laughing, and just not good comedic timing.

Maybe a one-off special might have worked better? The success of course on the "guest stars". Too often, as evidenced by The Temptations and Smokey's show/s, there was always an oddball thrown in: Fran Jefferies? Kaye Stevens? Blah, lol.

They'd probably have done OK. Have you tried watching most those horrid old shows? Including Sonny & Cher's which was a huge success.... so judging from that ....why not at least give it a six week summer trial.

I'm not convinced they could even sell the idea to a network in the form of a pilot. In Mary's defense, a lot of her cornball comedy [[and I agree it was often cornball) wasn't scripted. I think she was naturally a goofy person. With a script and direction, she may have been able to harness that into something more funny.

That being said, I think for the variety show to work, the three principle players would have to be engaging enough for one hour of television every week. Love Mary, Cindy and Scherrie as I do, I'm not convinced that the three of their personalities popped enough for the scenario. Of the three of them I do think Mary was probably the better suited one, as she comes across far more outgoing than Cindy and Scherrie, IMO.

The bigger problem is that in 1974 the Supremes hadn't had a hit since 1972, and the industry and the public is very hard on groups that go "long" periods without a hit, more so than even solo artists. In that time, three Supremes left, one of them came back, and a new girl entered the picture. I can imagine if approached, the networks would have said no for two quick reasons:

1) The turnovers in the group in such a short time might come across as instability, and on a television show, TPTB want to be assured that no one will rock the boat.

2) The Supremes were no longer a draw. The networks want people tuning in. The Supremes hadn't sold a record worth mentioning since 1972. There was no reason to believe that the public was willing to turn them on weekly for a television program.

I think if the Supremes were ever to successfully have a variety show, it would have been the original trio, who just had amazing chemistry and engaging personalities, DRATS, as Diana was more than capable of carrying the show at this point, or Mary, Jean and Cindy, as they were hot throughout 1970 and into 1971. Beyond that, I just don't see anyone taking the idea seriously.

Sonny & Cher hadn't had many hits for a few years before their show started.

But they were better actors/comedians than pretty much everyone at Motown apart from maybe Diana and Michael.

i would have loved to see a Motown show in the mid-late 60s. Probably hosted by Diana with Motown acts premiering their newest singles [[and a classic every now & again) plus a non-Motown star guesting [[& perhaps hosting) every week.

Good ideas from Ran and Levi - both make sense to me

Uhg, Getting a variety show was a death sentence for a singing group in the 70's. Ask Marilyn and Billy. The only singer who got a show, but went on to have hits afterwards, was Cher. That combination of singing corny covers, along with corny comedy bits, was a pop career killer by the time the 70's came around. At the very least, it would do nothing to push your career forward. Ask the Jacksons. We 70's kids didn't want our pop stars to be part of old school "Hollywood." We wanted counter culture

mary struggled with acting during the sup years. it was often a challenge for her to keep a straight face - like when Diana shouted "go mary!" during the instrumental break of Itchin' on Sullivan or how she was never able to keep her composure during Flip's sketches. and yes, i agree that often her stage or tv presence was too over the top. Diana most certainly dealt with cheesy comedy lines and schtick. but she had a bit more of a natural "mistress of ceremonies" air about her. Diana also worked HARD at elocution. if you listen to her delivery of some of the early live songs like Time Changes Things or Let Me Go, you can hear a more "rough" lyric from her. for instance she might say "ax" for "ask." But Berry worked her HARD with enunciation and elocution. and she developed a very smooth and natural sounding speaking voice [[even if it was actually the result of years of tough coaching).

a variety show or tv special would have been best done in 70 while the group was still very hot. but jean was nowhere near able to be a strong tv presence. she was SO uncomfortable doing the schtick lines on the Smokey special or the Flip Wilson show.

I don't know about Scherrie cuz we never really got to see or hear her as a "spokesperson" cuz by that time mary was doing all the talking. but my guess is she could have been strong. she seemed very natural.

I think maybe a one-off special would have been the ticket, but in the DRATS or JMC years. I don't think Mary had the goods to carry a show in 1974; Cindy certainly didn't. It's hard to imagine Scherrie, so new into the group, would have had enough. Although it might have been a great introduction to this lineup.

Eddie Kendricks would have made a good guest. He was hot with "Keep on Truckin'" in 1973 and "Boogie Down" in late '73, early 1974. Maybe they could have traded off a little "The Way YDTTYD"?

Naturally there would have been white guest star too, lol. Maybe Mary could have gotten Steve McQueen? Reenact a scene from "Towering Inferno"? Or maybe Lyle Waggoner? Lol.

they could've developed their own in house Lyle to oogle over .....those girls loved their men!!

To me this is perhaps one of those things, even if a one-off, that would have come as a result of that ever elusive Major Hit Record. But as Levi Stubbs Tears said, Sonny & Cher were well past their hitmaking days when their show came on. Would have been a good vehicle for the group, if only to establish a little name recognition for this incarnation of the group. Mary could get a little hammy on camera [[ha!) nothing that couldn't have been overcome with direction, but also I recall Scherrie in a relatively recent interview saying that Rita Moreno gave her props after a Supremes show once, saying she could be great on Broadway. So, I think Scherrie would have been up for the challenge.

Let’s get real people. We’re talk a variety show not masterpiece theater lol. No here is trying to win a Emmy for best dramatic performance lol. That’s the place for the over the top and cheesy skits. And I do agree with direction, Mary can control that natural goofiness. All they need is a good director to play to their strengths and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Sonny & Cher hadn't had many hits for a few years before their show started.
    But their names were household names as individuals. The public is much lighter on name recognition of individuals than groups. In the 60s, all the kids knew the names of Flo, Diana and Mary and of course knew them as the Supremes. By 1974/75, those kids had grown up and moved on and the Supremes weren't exactly the Supremes they grew up with, even though Mary was left standing. To the general public the Supremes might as well have been newcomers. Yes, the name was the same, but the faces of all but one were different, and Mary was the one who was usually lost in the shuffle between Diana and Florence anyway. Sonny and Cher had the benefit of being the same two Sonny and Cher that the public had always known. Lol I imagine that made for an easier sale than the Supremes at that point.

The original trio just couldn't be beat. I think all three were hams. They loved entertaining and they each loved the spotlight. I think Gordy may have been successful had he pushed for a Supremes variety special in 1966, like the Sammy Davis Jr. Show. Despite the race issue, I think the group was hot enough and had proven themselves to be all around entertainers- popular with adults and kids alike- that the idea might have been hopped on by a network, especially if Gordy could rally support from some of the group's biggest television supporters, like Ed Sullivan. I think that would have been something worth watching.

The Supremes with Diana would have been a waste...it would still be a platform for Diana Ross...we already had Sullivan and Hollywood Palace for that.

I can see all of the 70's line ups except MSS doing a variety summer replacement series. I think all 3 were superb in the FLIP department store skit...Jean looked very comfortable ...Cindy looked like she was having a ball...they seemed to be themselves... Mary seems to be the only one playing a role and doing any "acting" and she was good! I'm actually surprised Geraldine never got a skit wanted to sing with the Supremes...[[off the record...the Geraldine skit with Harry Belafonte is great...it is my fav of all of them...the Ray Charles one is good too...both are on YT and if you need quick, not too time consuming laugh, see them)
    If they kept the musical entertainment rolling, and had 2 guests per show [[maybe a comedy act and a musical act) and a bit of true to life interviews/dialogue, there wouldn't really be a need for skits at all...
    I loved early 70's Sonny and Cher...the ALL I EVER NEED IS YOU Lp is one of my fav lightweight 70's pop LPS [[I was into hard rock by then) the Vamp part, I found the songs relating to the stories entertaining...and some of the skits during that section were really funny....of course, Cher was the DR in that unit..solo numbers and expensive wardrobe changes...

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    The Supremes with Diana would have been a waste...it would still be a platform for Diana Ross...we already had Sullivan and Hollywood Palace for that.
    I think that's definitely the case for DRATS. But in 1966 the Supremes were still mostly structured as a unit with three equal parts. I think we would have gotten a lot more Flo and Mary than would ever have happened in DRATS with Mary and Cindy.

I remember that interview, Cindy was dreaming. She was such an optimist. God bless her.

There was less that a zero chance of such a show happening. What the fans either forgot or don't realize was that going into the mid 70s The Supremes were considered unsettled as members came and went with increasing frequency. Aside from the contract negotiations and only a marginal interest from Motown, the company had to see if this current line up of Mary, Scherrie and Cindy was going to last. Cindy first came back temporarily then decided to stay. Add to all this, Motown was negotiating the releases of Jean Terrell and Lynda Laurence in 1974 while the re-grouping was taking place. Cindy was going through a painful divorce while travelling with a toddler and battling a weight problem. She just wasn't the same Cindy.

While Scherrie and Susaye were amazing talents and brought a lot to the group, for all intent and purposes, and history will show this, the Supremes ended when Jean and Lynda left. Several lps and singles that followed did poorly with only a last gasp from High Energy and its single, buoyed by a still fervent gay following.

Add to this was Diana's ascension into superstar status. She had reclaimed her public plus added millions of new fans with the movies and concerts. She gave only a medley of Supremes hits to also add to the feeling that the group was dead.

I remember one booking agent in the 70s made a comment when trying to get the ladies work in the USA, often hearing "oh, are they still together?" Mary's valiant efforts were detracted by a domineering husband bent on destroying any chances of a revival with his lack of knowledge or experience. It was a bad time for all involved. Having the audience walk out at the last Vegas gig and being jeered offstage at MSG put the marker on the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I remember that interview, Cindy was dreaming. She was such an optimist. God bless her.

There was less that a zero chance of such a show happening. What the fans either forgot or don't realize was that going into the mid 70s The Supremes were considered unsettled as members came and went with increasing frequency. Aside from the contract negotiations and only a marginal interest from Motown, the company had to see if this current line up of Mary, Scherrie and Cindy was going to last. Cindy first came back temporarily then decided to stay. Add to all this, Motown was negotiating the releases of Jean Terrell and Lynda Laurence in 1974 while the re-grouping was taking place. Cindy was going through a painful divorce while travelling with a toddler and battling a weight problem. She just wasn't the same Cindy.

While Scherrie and Susaye were amazing talents and brought a lot to the group, for all intent and purposes, and history will show this, the Supremes ended when Jean and Lynda left. Several lps and singles that followed did poorly with only a last gasp from High Energy and its single, buoyed by a still fervent gay following.

Add to this was Diana's ascension into superstar status. She had reclaimed her public plus added millions of new fans with the movies and concerts. She gave only a medley of Supremes hits to also add to the feeling that the group was dead.

I remember one booking agent in the 70s made a comment when trying to get the ladies work in the USA, often hearing "oh, are they still together?" Mary's valiant efforts were detracted by a domineering husband bent on destroying any chances of a revival with his lack of knowledge or experience. It was a bad time for all involved. Having the audience walk out at the last Vegas gig and being jeered offstage at MSG put the marker on the grave.
    What a clearly laid out synopsis albeit a depressing one. I guess everyone scratches through life ....

I think the saddest thing to me about all this was that going into the 1980s, and thereafter, the press pidgeon-hold Mary's stature. She had previously always entertained reporters interested in knowing about her efforts to keep the Supremes going and the press was eager to print Mary's criticism of Motown's treatment of her. Before 1973 I don't recall her saying anything bad about Motown, except that it was not the way it used to be

After being dropped from the label there was practically no interest in Mary from the press unless it was a story about Diana Ross. When Motown 25 happened and the infamous "shove," the press were once again ringing Mary's phone for comments about Diana Ross' behavior and diva lashings. None were interested that Mary was barely squeeking by, had lost her home and was pretty much ignored by the enterainment industry, the only industry Mary had ever worked in.

The shove incident gave Mary the incentive to write about The Supremes and go into detail about her relationship with Diana Ross. The book was an unexpected smash and Mary was once again booked onto the hot talk shows and news channels on tv. This resulted in Diana Ross cutting ties with her.

Mary knew how to work the press. When Diana appeared in LA on her Workin' Overtime tour Mary decided to attend opening night with her daughter [[Diana's godchild) in tow. Being turned away in front of reporters put the microphones in Mary's face again as the victim and Mary grabbed it, giving yet more negative press to Diana Ross.

In the last 35 years of Mary Wilson's life, regardless of what project Mary was trying to promote, there was rarely if ever a single interview where Mary was not asked about Diana Ross's temperament or if there would be a reunion. The RTL disaster only bolstered Mary's assertions about Diana Ross, but it didn't get Mary any record deals or better pay for her own Supremes tribute show. Finally in the last ten years or so of her life when asked about a reunion, Mary would respond with, "ask Diana." As sad as that is to me I have to admire Mary's resolve. She answered every Diana Ross question put before her no matter how tired she had gotten of giving the sames answers time and time again.

To a much lesser degree, the few times Cindy Birdsong was interviewed, even when trying to launch a ministry, she was always asked about Diana Ross's difficulties. Cindy usually took the high road, with Star Magazine in the 1990s turning an article about Cindy's planned autobiography into a smear piece. Cindy later told me she had been misquoted and did the piece so that she could have new photographs taken and try to get a publisher. Without meaning to or even being present, Diana ruined that. Her shadow looms large.

It's just sad that the media could never let Mary and Cindy just be Mary and Cindy without bringing Diana Ross into the mix every single time. How hard that must have been. Can you imagine?

I think the saddest thing to me about all this was that going into the 1980s, and thereafter, the press pidgeon-hold Mary's stature. She had previously always entertained reporters interested in knowing about her efforts to keep the Supremes going and the press was eager to print Mary's criticism of Motown's treatment of her. Before 1973 I don't recall her saying anything bad about Motown, except that it was not the way it used to be

After being dropped from the label there was practically no interest in Mary from the press unless it was a story about Diana Ross. When Motown 25 happened and the infamous "shove," the press were once again ringing Mary's phone for comments about Diana Ross' behavior and diva lashings. None were interested that Mary was barely squeeking by, had lost her home and was pretty much ignored by the enterainment industry, the only industry Mary had ever worked in.

The shove incident gave Mary the incentive to write about The Supremes and go into detail about her relationship with Diana Ross. The book was an unexpected smash and Mary was once again booked onto the hot talk shows and news channels on tv. This resulted in Diana Ross cutting ties with her.

Mary knew how to work the press. When Diana appeared in LA on her Workin' Overtime tour Mary decided to attend opening night with her daughter [[Diana's godchild) in tow. Being turned away in front of reporters put the microphones in Mary's face again as the victim and Mary grabbed it, giving yet more negative press to Diana Ross.

In the last 35 years of Mary Wilson's life, regardless of what project Mary was trying to promote, there was rarely if ever a single interview where Mary was not asked about Diana Ross's temperament or if there would be a reunion. The RTL disaster only bolstered Mary's assertions about Diana Ross, but it didn't get Mary any record deals or better pay for her own Supremes tribute show. Finally in the last ten years or so of her life when asked about a reunion, Mary would respond with, "ask Diana." As sad as that is to me I have to admire Mary's resolve. She answered every Diana Ross question put before her no matter how tired she had gotten of giving the sames answers time and time again.

To a much lesser degree, the few times Cindy Birdsong was interviewed, even when trying to launch a ministry, she was always asked about Diana Ross's difficulties. Cindy usually took the high road, with Star Magazine in the 1990s turning an article about Cindy's planned autobiography into a smear piece. Cindy later told me she had been misquoted and did the piece so that she could have new photographs taken and try to get a publisher. Without meaning to or even being present, Diana ruined that. Her shadow looms large.

It's just sad that the media could never let Mary and Cindy just be Mary and Cindy without bringing Diana Ross into the mix every single time. How hard that must have been. Can you imagine?
    Mary the schemer, Diana the sainted onlooker who tried so hard to distance herself from it all.
    If that were the case, Diana certainly made it easy for Mary to play the victim as you claim.
    Mary tried to do the right thing in engaging Diana in talks regarding Dream Girl but was cold shouldered. She was physically assaulted at Motown 25, with both her and Cindy treated like props. This line of thinking was confirmed during RTL negotiations, with Diana’s infamous comment “All She had to do was show up”.
    Just think, had Diana been just that little less egotistical and more considerate a person Mary might have been forced to find another role to play. Certainly food for thought.

I think you misread my post here, indeed there were times when Mary WAS truly the victim and times when [[Workin' Overtime opening) she played the victim. She surely knew she would not have been welcome.

As far as RTL negotiations, I know things I have never repeated and BOTH ladies were nasty and at times self serving. Diana Ross, whether right or wrong, has tried to distance herself from the Supremes legacy but Mary was forever pulling her back into it. Mary was right in saying that both ladies should have spoken and reached an agreement before promoters got involved. Diana Ross is more of a businesswoman than Mary, however, and she does things her way. Also do not forget, in the early 1980s Diana Ross gave Mary a loan when banks would not in order to buy a house for herself and her children. A musician in Diana's band was backstage when Mary tearfully told Diana her plight after leaving Pedro. Diana was sympathetic and agreed to help Mary back on her feet. Yes there was interest on the loan, and that was the first step in Mary re-establishing positive credit ties.

Their connection to the Supremes legacy meant different things to each lady, however right or wrong it was. Mary was loyal to the group and always maintained a positive approach toward the group's contributions and was devoted to that. For Diana Ross, it was more of a job and a stepping stone. Once done, she left the gowns and business purely to Mary and went on to achieve her solo dreams.

Only in the few years before Mary's death did the two connect and begin talking again, if only through email. It was a start. Who's to say what would have happened had Mary lived a bit longer. A reunion? As Mary has said, Diana didn't need it.

As I’ve said a few times, such a loss for the fans like us.

But I see on Facebook, there are people that thought the Supremes only existed until Diana left. The hits they had were the Jean sound which wasn’t far off Diana which didn’t help and after that, they managed themselves into minor players.

Just like Beyonce, the media played to the star starting in about 1965 and you have to deal with hand you are dealt. Cindy wished she’d taken the money and run and it sure would have helped her now. I wonder if in her last 20 years, Mary wished she could take the money and run. She always was waiting for Diana, it’s up to Diana.

In this world, the words of God Bless The Child seem more prevalent than ever - “them that got shall get, them that’s not shall lose…,”

Get what money and run?

Get what money and run?
    I would have kissed Diana’s butt, played the background singer, done 15 shows, taken the $4m and run - and hopefully Cindy would get $4m. I’d have done that at RTL or gone to her 10 years later and said - ok, I’ll play along, I’m ready.

Does anyone seriously think it’s any different than that with Beyonce now? Those Destiny girls are doing what they are told with very limited input

Oh I didn't know you were to RTL. Cindy's offer never exceeded $1 million. The sad thing about this was the Cindy was not up to performance level even then. I think this showed at Motown 45. Cindy would gladly have accepted this money, but Mary negotiated for her. They were presented as a package.

Oh I didn't know you were to RTL. Cindy's offer never exceeded $1 million. The sad thing about this was the Cindy was not up to performance level even then. I think this showed at Motown 45. Cindy would gladly have accepted this money, but Mary negotiated for her. They were presented as a package.
    Oh I was just referring to getting together generally - but I suppose after RTL the chances were reduced to nothing no matter what

I think in 1974, Cindy was probably hopeful for a variety show since it would keep them off the road and as a Mother to a toddler it probably would have been easier to stay put. Cindy also had aspirations to be an actress but her personality on TV wasn't big or bold, it was sweet and pleasant. Mary had an outgoing personality and she laughed alot but I am sure on their own show it would have been reigned in. Plus, someone remarked that Mary broke character on Ed Sullivan when Diana said "go Mary". Mary was really dancing the choreography to that song. I think Diana shocked her with impromptu remark. If you notice Mary slows down a bit too. I am sure she thought Oh No! Diane is going to get me in trouble with Berry. Of course, Both Diana and Mary were relishing this upbeat song and only Flo seemed to not be going full steam.
    Regardless, a variety show or even special would never have been in the cards. There was too many personnel changes and Motown wasn't really excited about them since about 1971.

As Mary has stated many a time, for her it was not about the money, but rather recognition of her worth as an an original group member who had worked so many years to keep the Supremes flame burning. She deserved to be part of the planning, not just expected to show up at the click of M’s Ross finger.
    It must have been quite a lesson for Diana to realise that not everyone was prepared to kiss her ass, not even for financial gain.
    Mary never wavered from any decision she made during that time, and quite rightly so.

Well back to original topic, I've a different take on Cindy's statement to the fan club. Perhaps she was just saying that to give impression to the fans that the group was still a big deal in show business and had a lot going on, when in truth they were slipping fast. Not too long afterwards they were doing opening act gigs in Vegas, performing to empty or near empty rooms when they did headline, and no longer appearing whatsoever on variety shows, but rather [[in US at least) daytime and late night talk shows and Bandstand and Soul Train. Wasn't Sonny and Cher All I Want performance their last US variety show guest slot?

A lot of publicity and image of Supremes was of the aspirational and material success kind. Look at the liner notes Mary supposedly wrote for the 75 album talking about the Supremes being the #1 Female singing group for the last 15 years. And decades later Mary would give interviews in advance of local oldies show gig talking about how she was about to release her new album, or her coffee table book was about to be published. All was said for publicity sake just to make her career more exciting and happening that what it really was--she was working steadily as a live performer on the oldies circuit. I think Cindy's statement about an imminent Variety show falls into the same PR strategy.

And to be fair, lots of performers who are no longer as big as they once were resort such Public relations tactics to maintain the image, either for their own ego protection, and/or to make the die hard fans feel better.

Diana - Florence - Mary FOREVER
    Betty and Barbara ....Thank you !!!
    Cindy ....Love You

Fool, Cindy. She knew FULLY that there was 25+ years of tension between Diana and Mary, yet she chose to put her fate in Mary's hands. Helen Keller could have told you this wasn't going to end well.

Cindy should have represented herself and "just shown up".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Fool, Cindy. She knew FULLY that there was 25+ years of tension between Diana and Mary, yet she chose to put her fate in Mary's hands. Helen Keller could have told you this wasn't going to end well.

Cindy should have represented herself and "just shown up".
    cindy had certainly had her own interactions with diana from the 80s on. like when cindy was in UK but needed some funds - diana helped. and there's that story of Cindy meeting diana in vegas and asking for assistance. so she had certainly had her own positive and personal relationship with diana. so why on earth would she simply hand over the side of this arrangement to a woman she knew had serious challenges with Diana?? and if cindy needed the money again, which i'm fairly certain she could have definitely used, why on earth was she this stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    cindy had certainly had her own interactions with diana from the 80s on. like when cindy was in UK but needed some funds - diana helped. and there's that story of Cindy meeting diana in vegas and asking for assistance. so she had certainly had her own positive and personal relationship with diana. so why on earth would she simply hand over the side of this arrangement to a woman she knew had serious challenges with Diana?? and if cindy needed the money again, which i'm fairly certain she could have definitely used, why on earth was she this stupid?
    Cindy did seem to support Mary in times of need, even going with Mary on an overseas engagement and helping to train another vocalist as well. Mary probably convinced her that they would be stronger as a team when it came to RTL.

That said, now that Cindy's health challenges have been revealed, who's to say that she wasn't showing signs of her decline even back then and how those challenges might have affected her decisions.

Like I said before it’s easy to judge from the outside looking in

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Like I said before it’s easy to judge from the outside looking in
    True, but its hard not to see this as a stupid decision. Reese makes an excellent point about Cindy's mental state possibly being compromised at the time, so that would certainly explain Cindy's decision. It's also very possible that Cindy allowed Mary to take the reigns because Mary was in a better position. According to Scherrie, Mary had a manager who apparently was involved in the negotiations. Cindy probably hadn't had a manager since the 80s and it's possible she wasn't in a position to hire either a manager or a lawyer to negotiate for her. So it may have made sense to Cindy to hitch a ride with Mary in order to get the business done without Cindy having to come out of her pocket. In that case, I can certainly understand the decision.

Those are really the only two possibilities I would accept. Other than that, it would always be a bad business decision to merge together. Everybody should have their own people working on their behalf, and what eventually happened is a perfect case for why.

Bayou said Cindy wasn’t ready to perform so she likely had no resources for lawyers or managers. So there she goes along with Mary - who really right through to the end never had great management or made sound business decisions.

When you have limited resources, you avoid lawyers and accountants and consultants and desperation creates what later seems like stupid decisions - but they really had no choice.

Many of Mary’s decisions were driven by this same conundrum - you haven’t got a lot of choices when you haven’t got the financial wherewithal to help yourself.