[REMOVE ADS]

40th Anniversary of Marvin Gaye's Murder

April 1st 1984

Terrible tragedy

I was only 7 at the time and don't remember anything about it at the time, i don't recall parents or teacher talking about

When I was in high school and really starting getting into Motown and Marvin I do remember being crushed when I found out what happened to him

Hard to swallow that it's been 40 years. I've told this story on these boards before, but it bears repeating: I was 13, in my bedroom doing my usual Sunday afternoon ritual of listening to my hometown's FM R&B station's oldies show, "The Wax Museum." By the time I joined the show already in progress, the DJ was playing a solid block of nothing but Marvin. After a couple of tracks, he got on the air, speaking about Marvin in the past tense: "Well, Marvin was marvelous," etc. Thrown for a loop, I raced downstairs to share with my family what I'd just heard. My older sister confirmed by simply saying, "Yes, he's dead, C." Time stopped. I'll never forget that day.

It's Still one of the saddest days in Rock & Soul Music. I was visiting my Parents when they told me the news about Marvin's murder [and I would find out the full details on the TV Evening News a few hours later]. Talking about Marvin's death with Friends or with co-workers on the job over the days after his death one thing was clear, we were all in shock about it.

Continue to Rest In Peace, Power, Music & Soul Marvin Gaye.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    It's Still one of the saddest days in Rock & Soul Music. I was visiting my Parents when they told me the news about Marvin's murder [and I would find out the full details on the TV Evening News a few hours later]. Talking about Marvin's death with Friends or with co-workers on the job over the days after his death one thing was clear, we were all in shock about it.

Continue to Rest In Peace, Power, Music & Soul Marvin Gaye.
    Yeah, shared my throwback experience in the Do You Remember? thread. I was a 'tween at the time. Was working on Mama Native's new Sony stereo rack systems. Just as I made the last of the connections, it caught the tragic news. I remember thinking, What a sick April's Fool joke. Sadly, if was no joke. :[[

I remember that day like it were yesterday. April 1, 1984 -- I was just getting ready to jump in the shower before leaving for work. The radio DJ announced that Marvin had been shot by his father. I thought it was a sick and disgusting April Fool's joke. Upon existing the shower and while getting dressed, the more they talked about it, the clearer it became that it was no joke; but, rather, the shocking and sickening truth.