[REMOVE ADS]

Top TV performance for each line up

I'm sure this has been done already...then again so has Motown 25 and RTL...so what would you say was the top TV performance for each lineup where you were like "yeah now that's why they're Supreme!".

DMF: this one is tough because there's several but You Can't Hurry Love on Sullivan. This was, in my opinion, the Supremes at their peak.

DMC: Fats Waller Medley on Sullivan. The girls were really on their A-game here.

JMC: I don't know if there's a title to this medley but the medley they did on Tom Jones in the green fringe. Jean was on fire here and Mary and Cindy were no longer just "and the Supremes".

JML: You're Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love on Flip Wilson. There's a youthful air to the group here, much owed to Lynda and all three of them look absolutely Supreme.

SMC: All I Want on Sonny and Cher. I really enjoyed the split lead for this one. I have to admit this lineup often looked too much like they were older ladies trying and failing to look hip and young.

SMS: I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking on Soul Train. As mentioned many times before this lineup didn't have much cohesiveness live but this appearance it wasn't too bad.

Threads are recycled around here all the time. I think it's cool when a subject is reintroduced- especially if a lot of time has passed- as our thoughts, perspectives and opinions may have changed. The Motown 25 and RTL discussions are usually bait [[not always, usually) to get folks going back and forth about the more negative aspects of the group's history. I figure as long as the forum is up and running, there will always be someone to start a Motown 25 or RTL [[or sometimes a combined thread of the two) argument...I mean discussion. It is what it is.

That being said, yes, I'm pretty sure we've done this subject before...and I happily chime in again.

Great choices Floy, as you've picked what I probably would have picked for FDM and DRATS. I agree that picking for the original trio is super hard. If I were to pick another performance other than "Hurry" on Sullivan, it might be "Hangin On" on Hollywood Palace.

DRATS was never better IMO than they were on the Fats Waller Medley. If I had to choose another, it would probably be "Without a Song" on TCB. There's something so captivating about their sound along with the visual when they hit the "I'll never know" part and the orchestra grows, the crowd applauds. I love it.

For Mary, Jean and Cindy, I'll probably go with their performance on Andy Williams of "Ladder" and "Everybody".

For the Lynda lineup, it would be "Touch" on Model of the Year. They look gorgeous, sound fantastic, and the set is so 70s and a perfect backdrop for them. Class personified. I love it.

I'm going to be completely honest, I don't know what I would choose for either of the Scherrie lineups. I never find myself watching many of their performances and when I do, it's really never anything I care to rewatch often.

Nope, just thought about MCS. When they do the Star Spangled Crapper at a boxing match acapella. They prepared to sing with a track but for some reason the music wasn't played and the ladies had to do it acapella. They didn't seem thrown off at all. They just stepped to the mic, found their place in the harmony and did a fantastic job. That would be my choice for Mary, Cindy and Scherrie.

here are my picks....

DMF...Eight Days A Week...[[Shindig or Hallabaloo?)
    DMC...tie...Forever Came Today...or Impossible Dream both Sullivan
    JMC...Ladder from Sullivan
    JML...I Guess I'll Miss The Man...live Soul Train vocal
    SMC...tie National Anthem [[boxing ring version).... or ALL I WANT from Sonny and Cher...this clip more than any aside from the Sullivan UP THE LADDER performance screams things HAVE changed...
    MSS...the only clip I really enjoy is Walk Away with Udo...the telethon clip of Don't let My Teardrops was nice...I hadn't read Cindy left yet...[[there was a local NYC area morning show called Wonderama...the group performed to pre recorded tracks of You're My Driving Wheel, Let Yourself Go, You Are The Heart of Me and Come Into My Life...I've only seen it when it was televised...I've never seen the clips repeated on the net anywhere...but since this was lipsynched I will have to assume that it was a great improvement over the screetch fest race track pace live work)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Nope, just thought about MCS. When they do the Star Spangled Crapper at a boxing match acapella. They prepared to sing with a track but for some reason the music wasn't played and the ladies had to do it acapella. They didn't seem thrown off at all. They just stepped to the mic, found their place in the harmony and did a fantastic job. That would be my choice for Mary, Cindy and Scherrie.
    that was a SUPERSTAR performance...at first Scherrie looks ready to kill...Mary looks concerned and surprised, and Cindy looks like she was graced with instant acceptance of something that was out of her control....it is the most beautiful blend of voices I've ever heard from any trio of Supremes...and there is a look of relief on Mary's face at the end. They really did an amazing job...

It's hard to pin this down because it keeps changing. Judging from the views I've made I'd have to say:

DMF-My World Is Empty/Somewhere on Sullivan
    DMC-In And Out Of Love/Tempts Medley/Thou Swell on Sullivan
    JMC-The Sullivan Debut. That mix on Up The Ladder is gorgeous
    JML-Soul Train
    MSC-All I Want
    MSS-Bandstand debut with Susaye, Let My Heart, You're What's Missing

i agree with everything above,.. however, i dont like the All I Want from Sonny and Cher. never liked the song, no matter who sings it. did like the dresses tho.
    i like the Supremes performing Love Is Here on Andy Williams.
    also ,My Favorite Things on Sullivan

The two standouts for me:

DMF - The early [1965] Hullabaloo with Back In My Arms Again and You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You.
    MSC - Star Spangled Banner acapella at the boxing match.

DMF - Symphony Medley, You Can't Hurry Love - Sullivan
    DMC - Forever Came Today - Sullivan
    JMC - Medley - Tom Jones
    JML - Hits Medley, Tossin' & Turnin' - Dick Cavett
    MSC - All I Want - Sonny & Cher [I also enjoyed their Soul Train performance]
    MSS - Driving Wheel, Come Into My Life, You Are The Heart of Me - Soul Train

DMF: You Can't Hurry Love [[Sullivan show)
    DMC: Fats Waller medley
    JMC: Love the One You're With
    JML: I Guess I'll Miss the Man [[Soul Train)
    SMC: National anthem [[Vegas Boxing match)
    MSS: Come Into My Life [[Soul Train)

DMF - You Can't Hurry Love sullivan
    DMC - Stop on TCB. those green gowns are the epitome of "the supremes"
    JMC - Ladder on Smokey
    JML - YWSSL on Flip
    SMC - maybe this time on Merv
    MSS - don't let my teardrops on Mike Douglas

I think some runner ups for me with DMF would be Come See About Me on Shindig and Back In My Arms Again on Hullabaloo.

YWSSL .Supremes flip Wilson
    Love child sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    DMF - You Can't Hurry Love sullivan
    DMC - Stop on TCB. those green gowns are the epitome of "the supremes"
    JMC - Ladder on Smokey
    JML - YWSSL on Flip
    SMC - maybe this time on Merv
    MSS - don't let my teardrops on Mike Douglas
    I had just become a big fan right before Love Child came out...I got the big blue 2 LP set...I knew about 4 songs...Baby Love, Stop!, YKMHO and the Happening b/c it was in a used box of singles my brothers landlord who owned a jukebox company gave me. I had Love Child and I'm Gonna Make 45's by the time TCB aired...I fell in love with Mary Wilson that night...I have replayed the snippet of her walking down that ramp dozens of times...STOP! was a excellent performance...Oy!!!! I crave Lime sherbert every time I see that clip! LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I had just become a big fan right before Love Child came out...I got the big blue 2 LP set...I knew about 4 songs...Baby Love, Stop!, YKMHO and the Happening b/c it was in a used box of singles my brothers landlord who owned a jukebox company gave me. I had Love Child and I'm Gonna Make 45's by the time TCB aired...I fell in love with Mary Wilson that night...I have replayed the snippet of her walking down that ramp dozens of times...STOP! was a excellent performance...Oy!!!! I crave Lime sherbert every time I see that clip! LOL..
    haha i know! all 3 were just SO on their game. the gowns are the ultimate. mary's "i dream of jeannie" wig lol. even the camera work is perfect. like when it zooms out right as Diana hits "stop" on the 2nd chorus