[REMOVE ADS]

My World is Empty Without You [[live)

Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson & Lynda Laurence

The Dick Cavett Show 1972

This works really well. A good idea to change the arrangement completely, but the simplicity rather spoilt by the over exaggerated arm movements and cheesy orchestra finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This works really well. A good idea to change the arrangement completely, but the simplicity rather spoilt by the over exaggerated arm movements and cheesy orchestra finish.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think this arrangement was later used in the 60s medley with Scherrie. Or at least a very similar one was used.

i really like these slow-burn versions of My World. the jean one is very good but i think Scherrie's is just a touch better. she made is pretty sizzling hot

also they adjusted the backing vocals and ending with the MSS lineup and really added some power to it. ended on a sensational note. MJL end beautifully but the later version is just a bit more powerful. i can imagine in my mind MJL doing it and just knocking it out of the park

i think it might be an interesting "what if" if they re-released My World as a ballad with Scherrie.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i really like these slow-burn versions of My World. the jean one is very good but i think Scherrie's is just a touch better. she made is pretty sizzling hot

also they adjusted the backing vocals and ending with the MSS lineup and really added some power to it. ended on a sensational note. MJL end beautifully but the later version is just a bit more powerful. i can imagine in my mind MJL doing it and just knocking it out of the park

i think it might be an interesting "what if" if they re-released My World as a ballad with Scherrie.
    That's an interesting concept, especially on the '75 LP that Brian Holland had a hand in. I think it might have fit better there, than on HIGH ENERGY.

Not good. Just underlines the fact that you ain't the original singer of this song and you don't even sing it right.

After maybe twenty times of my world is empty ......I've had my fill.

Actually this has made me realize , of their original hits, this is a song that a greatest hits CD could have a glitch in it and I wouldn't feel too bad jumping over.

I thought Jean did a nice job and Scherrie does too. It’s one of the Diana songs that other singers can hope to hold a candle to - but the Diana led version is by far the best one

Jean did a fine job with this song. I loved how it was reworked to showcase the lyrics as opposed to a peppy arrangement of the original which was in contrast to the lyrics. In later days, Scherrie did an amazing job with his and really made it a standout. Mary also used a similar arrangement for her shows and it worked beautifully for all of them. It was especially nice to contrast the far too quick medleys they did of the 60's hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought Jean did a nice job and Scherrie does too. It’s one of the Diana songs that other singers can hope to hold a candle to - but the Diana led version is by far the best one
    but even Diana did two totally different renditions of the song. the recorded version is haunting and her vocals are perfectly reflecting this. but then live, it's a bouncy bubblegum song. it hops along and fits in perfectly with Baby Love in their hits medley. yet is it essentially a completely different tune.

with the other hits and the live version, i don't think there's quite as much change. sure the live versions are brassier and more like a broadway production. but i don't know of any other where they so totally radically change the approach and tone of the song

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Not good. Just underlines the fact that you ain't the original singer of this song and you don't even sing it right.

After maybe twenty times of my world is empty ......I've had my fill.

Actually this has made me realize , of their original hits, this is a song that a greatest hits CD could have a glitch in it and I wouldn't feel too bad jumping over.
    Lol, Boogiedown. Just tell us how you feel, why don't you?

But your last statement is sacrilegious! I think there's a reason MWIEWY endures as a Greatest Hit despite not reaching #1. It's a great song and was a landmark single in terms of sound, maturity and progression. I'm just gonna put it out there that I love the single/mono versions because HDH's despairing lyrics and brooding production just call for a practically solo vocal. I include MWIEWY on my playlist of best and favorite Diana Ross vocal performances, period.

Which brings me to versions by other, non-original singers. I've liked [but not loved] the few I've heard, but I wonder what if Ashford & Simpson had recorded a slowed down version with Diana solo, ala Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Reach Out I'll Be There?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

But your last statement is sacrilegious! I think there's a reason MWIEWY endures as a Greatest Hit despite not reaching #1. It's a great song and was a landmark single in terms of sound, maturity and progression. I'm just gonna put it out there that I love the single/mono versions because HDH's despairing lyrics and brooding production just call for a practically solo vocal. I include MWIEWY on my playlist of best and favorite Diana Ross vocal performances, period.

Which brings me to versions by other, non-original singers. I've liked [but not loved] the few I've heard, but I wonder what if Ashford & Simpson had recorded a slowed down version with Diana solo, ala Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Reach Out I'll Be There?
    hee haw !
    I always thought I liked it a lot too! Still do! It's quite good. But it just occurred to me that if I made a list of all their greatest hits and started eliminating them one by one by preference, it would sooner than later be gone ....definitely not last one standing.

as far as this version goes ... it just made it sappy [for me].
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-27-2024 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

yeah it's interesting that some songs that hit #1 aren't maybe as enduring as other songs that didn't hit #1. Reflections and My World are both examples of songs that have lived on stronger than something like Love Is Here.

also i agree that the recorded version is really the best. while diana is singing almost solo, M and F provide haunting backing vocals. these ghostly, whispering voices lingering in the background. if they were removed, the total effect of the song would be diminished

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson & Lynda Laurence

The Dick Cavett Show 1972

Je certainly can sing, I like, when she shows off plenty of technique, as much as she can, which is a lot, but not lose the meaning of the lyric with pyrotechnics. These are cherished classics, and audiences want some semblance of the 45s they danced to or made out to. This is one song that allows for another interpretation that works well for the group.

I do think it’s a mistake having Mary and lynda moving with those distracting Gyrations while gene is singing, a quiet mood piece. It’s overkill, and unnecessary. When the song changes tempo, I think it’s the time to come in with the movement. I’ve seen the Flos many times, they are half as effective as they could be, but they sing all over the melodies with long riffs - often leaving the song unrecognizable. Audience responses are never as big as One would expect, if they resemble the original recordings. Part of a success of the temptations and tops is their adherence to the classics as recorded.