[REMOVE ADS]

"I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You)"

We've often talked of the "what if"s regarding HDH remaining at Motown and the direction they would have taken DRATS. "Reflections" was sort of a final progression of sound before the group took a step back with "In and Out of Love", which apparently was completed and released during a self imposed work "shortage" of the production team. "Forever Came Today" also has a progressive sound, but it was completed and released either around the time HDH left or right after they left. It has been suggested HDH didn't even complete it, someone else did. So it's entirely possible that "Forever" didn't make it out exactly how HDH might have heard it when originally crafted.

Viewing "Forever" as a misstep single, we've tossed around a few ideas of what might have been a better release. I think most of us agree there is very little- with what we know- that was worthy of single release at that point. However, I can't recall "I'm Gonna Make It" ever being a topic of conversation. It's not a favorite of mine, but I do like it. And I think it has some of the contemporary elements of the evolving Motown Sound.

So my question is what do you think of "I'm Gonna Make It" as a single? Good idea, bad idea? Top 20? Top 10? Number one? Different mix or as is?

Diana sounds young and fresh. The song is a B-side only.

It's one of the better cuts off of Reflections. Not sure if it could have been a single, though. There was intense competition on the charts at this time and everything had to be pure gold to make it.

Here's John Perrone's Extended Mix just for fun.

I liked side 1 of the Reflections album mostly.
    This is a nice song ,not sure if it would make it as a single but if I had to choose between this and One of the other singles, I would have went with this but not sure if it would have fared any better than FCT.
    FCT still sounds unfinished to me..not sure but I have always felt it missed that HDH sparkle.. always felt it needed something, and there are different mixs, with some nice elements. parts of the song I like while others ,not so much .it took a while for me to warm up to this song. like. It umuch better now.
    I have always like In and Out Of Love.
    I think this album could have been so much more if they used more sounds effects like on the title cut....maybe if FCT ,had some effects it may have popped.

Forever Came Today had a joyous celebratory lyric, but was dark and somber musically; almost like a funeral dirge.

It was a strange pairing.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-23-2024 at 01:40 PM.

It’s a pleasant enough album track but really nothing more. Might have charted slighted better than the rather soggy sounding “Forever Came Today”, but that’s not saying much.
    Of songs recorded from that period, i wish “Nitty Gritty had been included on the album with a view to single release. At least it had some chops.

'Forever Came Today' is a HDH masterpiece and is a special fav of theirs. It's also my fav DRATS single 'Itching' is my fav Supremes single.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    'Forever Came Today' is a HDH masterpiece.
    The record buying public of the time and myself would have to disagree.

I have always loved I'm Gonna Make It, it's my fav on the lp. At the time I might have thought it would be a single, and I hoped for it, but listening with adult ears on something better than a portable turntable with crappy speakers, I'd say no it was not a single. Deke Richards did a good job trying to mimic the HDH sound. I don't think that is Mary and Cindy or Flo on the track

Deke wrote about this song. It’s Mary and Cindy only.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I have always loved I'm Gonna Make It, it's my fav on the lp. At the time I might have thought it would be a single, and I hoped for it, but listening with adult ears on something better than a portable turntable with crappy speakers, I'd say no it was not a single. Deke Richards did a good job trying to mimic the HDH sound. I don't think that is Mary and Cindy or Flo on the track

In case some have forgotten what he wrote:

I'm Gonna Make It:

I used Mary and Cindy ONLY. No double track and no Andantes.

They have a great, almost haunting sound. I attribute this to the rich, almost velvet, but raspy timber of Mary's voice. With the right harmony part, and just the right balance between her and Cindy, it can almost sound like there are 3 girls singing, instead of 2. I'm sorry they got held back in the final mixdown. This was my first Supremes record. I just didn't have the authority or enough experience to mix my own product yet. If I had, Mary and Cindy would have been pushed up in the mix a tad. Other than the tracks I cut with "The Clan", I always made an effort to only use Mary And Cindy, whenever I cut a Supremes track. To me, it seemed sacrilegious not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The record buying public of the time and myself would have to disagree.
    HDH have actually said on record that 'Forever Came Today' & 'I'm in a Different World' are two of their finest songs and I agree with them. You don't like it and that's fine.

'Forever Came Today' is a HDH masterpiece and is a special fav of theirs. It's also my fav DRATS single 'Itching' is my fav Supremes single.
    Both are superb and complex.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    It's one of the better cuts off of Reflections. Not sure if it could have been a single, though. There was intense competition on the charts at this time and everything had to be pure gold to make it.

Here's John Perrone's Extended Mix just for fun.
    His remixes are almost always something to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It’s a pleasant enough album track but really nothing more. Might have charted slighted better than the rather soggy sounding “Forever Came Today”, but that’s not saying much.
    Of songs recorded from that period, i wish “Nitty Gritty had been included on the album with a view to single release. At least it had some chops.
    I love "Forever Came Today" and think it an excellent song. I just feel like it lacked a few things that might have made it a hit single. As is, it's an excellent album track.

Very interesting thought regarding "The Nitty Gritty". I've never really cared for their version. I always thought Gladys and the Pips did it before the Supremes did, but I see that the Supremes did it first. Perhaps with a different mix and a different vocal take- because Diana didn't put enough "stank" on this one for my taste- you might have a point. Very interesting to ponder how receptive the public would have been with this funkier DRATS.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post

I'm Gonna Make It:

They have a great, almost haunting sound. I attribute this to the rich, almost velvet, but raspy timber of Mary's voice. With the right harmony part, and just the right balance between her and Cindy, it can almost sound like there are 3 girls singing, instead of 2. I'm sorry they got held back in the final mixdown. This was my first Supremes record. I just didn't have the authority or enough experience to mix my own product yet. If I had, Mary and Cindy would have been pushed up in the mix a tad. Other than the tracks I cut with "The Clan", I always made an effort to only use Mary And Cindy, whenever I cut a Supremes track. To me, it seemed sacrilegious not to.
    Cool recollection from the man himself!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love "Forever Came Today" and think it an excellent song. I just feel like it lacked a few things that might have made it a hit single. As is, it's an excellent album track.

Very interesting thought regarding "The Nitty Gritty". I've never really cared for their version. I always thought Gladys and the Pips did it before the Supremes did, but I see that the Supremes did it first. Perhaps with a different mix and a different vocal take- because Diana didn't put enough "stank" on this one for my taste- you might have a point. Very interesting to ponder how receptive the public would have been with this funkier DRATS.
    I agree in that “Forever” is a pleasant album track, but can’t really think what might have been added as a transformation to sizeable hit. For me it just never really gets going.
    With “Nitty Gritty”, it might have added another string to the Supremes bow in revealing another side. It certainly sounded more contemporary then “Forever”.

HDH have actually said on record that 'Forever Came Today' & 'I'm in a Different World' are two of their finest songs and I agree with them. You don't like it and that's fine.
    By Supremes standards it sold really poorly. To me that says something, regardless of whoever considers it their best.
    I love “I’m In A Different World”, being a far more energetic number. It’s just a shame the public never took these songs to their collective hearts.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 03-26-2024 at 03:58 AM.

I'm Gonna Make It:

Perhaps the EE of Reflections will have the Andy/Kevin/George magic where they bump up the background vocals on this like they did on MWIEWYB, my all time favorite remix???

I'm Gonna Make It:

That explains why I didn't think it was Mary and Cindy. The backing vocals on both the stereo and mono mixes are mixed way down. I do love the part where they harmonize over an instrumental break before the fade.

I loved side one of the Reflections LP....and the cover montage was a must have for a new in late '68 fan like me....Motown almost always put the 2-3 singles on the A side...I was a A side guy...
    I always loved I'm Gonna Make It, I Can't Make it Alone and Bah Bah...
    The bridge seems to be out of place on I'm Gonna Make It....I Cant Make It Alone could use a clearer background vocal touch....and I love the remorseful sound of Bah Bah...should have been retitled....DR can sing RnB...
    the B side I only can manage Foolish Things, Then and Ode...don't like the other 3 at all.
    In and Out of Love is not a fav single of mine...but it is a stunning LIVE cut...IMHO, it is the only single that benefits from a speeded up arrangement, and on Talk of The Town the group gives a "show stopper "worthy performance....the only other hit I love on the LP is Reflections....and Love is Here is tolerable...the rest are racetrack paced brassy messes...
    I was never a lover of Forever either....then I saw the Sullivan performance and loved it....it is, along with the 2nd performance of Love Child and The Impossible Dream my fav's of the Sullivan performances...

so far we've received a handful of these "psychedelic soul" songs from the group. of course Reflections and Forever. plus Bah, I'm gonna make, I can't make it alone, Am I Asking Too Much. so you have 1/2 of an album that's this style.

Reflections is D, M and marlese

Bah is DMC

Am I asking is DMC

I'm Gonna make it is DMC i think

Forever Came Today is D and Andantes

I can't make it alone is D and Andantes

Reflections is obviously the masterpiece. None of the others even come close but i think several were completed after HDH left so they might not really be as truly intended. I think after Reflections, I Can't Make It Alone is the most commercial. i do like Bah a lot. very interesting and MAYBE it might have been able to click as a release.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I loved side one of the Reflections LP....and the cover montage was a must have for a new in late '68 fan like me....Motown almost always put the 2-3 singles on the A side...I was a A side guy...
    I always loved I'm Gonna Make It, I Can't Make it Alone and Bah Bah...
    The bridge seems to be out of place on I'm Gonna Make It....I Cant Make It Alone could use a clearer background vocal touch....and I love the remorseful sound of Bah Bah...should have been retitled....DR can sing RnB...
    the B side I only can manage Foolish Things, Then and Ode...don't like the other 3 at all.
    In and Out of Love is not a fav single of mine...but it is a stunning LIVE cut...IMHO, it is the only single that benefits from a speeded up arrangement, and on Talk of The Town the group gives a "show stopper "worthy performance....the only other hit I love on the LP is Reflections....and Love is Here is tolerable...the rest are racetrack paced brassy messes...
    I was never a lover of Forever either....then I saw the Sullivan performance and loved it....it is, along with the 2nd performance of Love Child and The Impossible Dream my fav's of the Sullivan performances...
    i like the album cover too!! some seems to have problems with it but my guess is that's more from the fact that it originally included DMF and C. and so i think there's more a sentimental reason they have issues rather than an artistic one. i think it's a wonderful visual representation of the new sound and style of the title track and much of the album