[REMOVE ADS]

Why did Ron Tyson and Terry Weeks work out when no other replacement did?

I'm a huge Temptations fan and I'm making the drive to Detroit in June to see them! I'm excited to see Otis as well as Ron and Terry. [[The two new members are great performers too and I'm sure they will be awesome)

What I always wondered was, why did Ron and Terry work out and stay all these years when no one else did? The other two slots have been a revolving door for decades. And Ron and Terry's spots were a revolving door before they finally joined the group.

I'm grateful for them both. Ron and Terry are amazing in my opinion but many former replacements were great too. Is it something as simple as they both live clean lives free of drinking and drugs so they're super dependable?

Most likely they were able to tolerate and handle Otis. Others may not have been so willing to go along with or put up with Otis’ direction. That’s not to say this is solely about Otis, but the problem may not always be the replacements.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 03-22-2024 at 06:11 PM.

Both men came into the situation knowing this was Otis's group. Many members were fired after a year or even less after they realized they were doing far more work than Otis and making far less money than he was. When you speak up you are canned. Otis is slow to give raises but he does it at his discretion and you are reminded that you can be replaced

Maybe they accepted that while doing much more 'work' in the group's act than Otis, they could tolerate the 'low' weekly salary ... the likes of David, Dennis and many others just couldn't. I went to see the 'spin-off' groups much more often than Otis's sorry line-up.

Do you think Ron and Terry are still getting low salaries now? I highly doubt it. I would hope Ron even has a partial ownership of the brand by now.

CJD88, I'm afraid I have no idea on Otis's current member payment strategy.
    Though with his 'old policy' having driven 'star lead singers' such as David [[not an 'original member' so only on a salary) & Dennis out of the group, I would have hoped he'd learnt from his past mistakes.
    HOWEVER, the regularity with which his group's lead singer changes, I guess not.

well...the groups name carries a lot of weight and is world recognizable....[[same for Supremes)
    where, and how often would these replacement performers be performing without the tie in to the name?
    is Duke responsible for all Four Tops related business? He's had some familiar names performing as replacements..and every clip I've seen is enjoyable...

Alternate theory: Maybe many of the men who signed up to work for Otis and The Temptations did so not to secure a lifetime job, but do this for a few years before moving on to their next gig. In the end it's a job. Kudos to Ron and Terry who have decided they like being Temptations and have made a career out of it. It's no different from any other job--some are there as lifers, while for others it's something to do and pay the bills for a few years, but they have their eyes set on moving on at some point.