[REMOVE ADS]

Review of Flo's 1975 Performance

This excerpt from the Ann Arbor Sun July 4, 1975:

"The Motown sound also got a showing at the benefit, with the first live appearance of Florence Ballard-Chapman since 1968. Florence is best remembered from her five year residency with the Supremes.

A bit stage shy from her prolonged retirement, she received a standing ovation as she walked onto the stage from an appreciative audience. Performing "I Am Woman," she proved to still be a fine singer and received the longest applause of the evening from the Motor City crowd."

This is the only photo from the show that I know to exist.

Name:  1925344_675419575830272_850569878_n.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  23.1 KB

She will always be part of history.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    This is the only photo from the show that I know to exist.

Name:  1925344_675419575830272_850569878_n.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  23.1 KB
    What could've been. *deep sigh*
    RIP Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    What could've been. *deep sigh*
    RIP Flo.
    I really wish she hadn't gotten so preoccupied with her legal fights. I wonder what role Tommy played in it? Makes me wonder how different her life might have been had she found a man with some sense. With all her talent, there is no good reason why the ABC sessions is the last of her musical legacy. No doubt had she gone to Stax, be it in place of ABC or after she was dropped, she would have found success. I think the disco age would have fit Flo's voice also. Yes, what could've been.

I agree Ran, I think the late 70s would have been a good time for Flo musically. I really believe had she not dies, she would have had the comeback we all wanted for her.

I always could hear her tearing up Burnin' Love by Elvis.

Wait a minute. Was this I Am Woman from the 60's Supremes shows? "I am woman, you are man?" Or did Florence sing I Am Woman, by Helen Reddy? If this was just a rehash of something the Supremes did from nearly ten years prior, well,that is just tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I agree Ran, I think the late 70s would have been a good time for Flo musically. I really believe had she not dies, she would have had the comeback we all wanted for her.

I always could hear her tearing up Burnin' Love by Elvis.
    Yeah, I could hear her doing that justice. I always thought she would have really been great with "Mr. Big Stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Wait a minute. Was this I Am Woman from the 60's Supremes shows? "I am woman, you are man?" Or did Florence sing I Am Woman, by Helen Reddy? If this was just a rehash of something the Supremes did from nearly ten years prior, well,that is just tragic.
    It was Helen Reddy's song. Forever I thought it was the one the Supremes sang too, and thought it was a horrific choice of song for a benefit concert for a rape victim. I was so glad to learn that it was Helen's version. I wasn't too familiar with it. When I heard the song all the way through, I just knew Flo was a good fit for it. Wish she had gotten a chance to record it.

Oh thank God, Ranran. I remember Helen Reddy's song as a kiddie, and the sentiment was, I guess, great for the early/mid 70's. But if it had been that dopey song from the 60's--I would have hurled myself from the nearest precipice.

I recall reading an interview with one of the members of the Deadly Nightshade band that Flo suggested they perform I Am Woman because she knew the band was a feminist band and thought that would have been a suitable song given the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I recall reading an interview with one of the members of the Deadly Nightshade band that Flo suggested they perform I Am Woman because she knew the band was a feminist band and thought that would have been a suitable song given the occasion.
    You might be mixing things up a bit. According to Florence, "I Am Woman" was requested of her, I guess by the event's organizers. Flo had to go buy the record, as she was unfamiliar with it, in order to learn the words. After her performance, the audience demanded an encore and a Supremes song made a lot of sense. I believe Flo asked them if they knew the song, and they did.

I really wish she hadn't gotten so preoccupied with her legal fights. I wonder what role Tommy played in it? Makes me wonder how different her life might have been had she found a man with some sense. With all her talent, there is no good reason why the ABC sessions is the last of her musical legacy. No doubt had she gone to Stax, be it in place of ABC or after she was dropped, she would have found success. I think the disco age would have fit Flo's voice also. Yes, what could've been.
    Exactly. She would've had a second life in the disco clubs. Just imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Exactly. She would've had a second life in the disco clubs. Just imagine...
    I agree. And then in 1983 she would've been invited to reunite with Diana and Mary for Motown 25...sike.

Oh please let this woman RIP. This endless what if or what happened to Florence borders on macabre. It was what is was and I believe she is now resting in Gods greatest city called Heaven and 47 years later we need to stop makin g Flo a victim. She was agreat Supreme but was a troubled soul and as a rape victim the resources back them were not available to help with the worst trauma a woman can go though. In the name of Jesus s lets focus on what she gave the Supremes and not what MIGHT have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Oh please let this woman RIP. This endless what if or what happened to Florence borders on macabre. It was what is was and I believe she is now resting in Gods greatest city called Heaven and 47 years later we need to stop makin g Flo a victim. She was agreat Supreme but was a troubled soul and as a rape victim the resources back them were not available to help with the worst trauma a woman can go though. In the name of Jesus s lets focus on what she gave the Supremes and not what MIGHT have been.
    Yeah, no. I'm going to have to respectfully decline this offer. What we do with Flo's "what ifs" are no different than what we do with all the other Supremes, as a collective and as individuals, discussing all aspects of their careers, and that includes what might have been. We do it all the time for Diana Ross around here, so why not Florence? I can't imagine that in a John Lennon or Elvis group, using two more famous examples, that there aren't discussions about what might have been had they lived. I know for a fact that there are discussions about what might have been had Abraham Lincoln and John Kennedy lived. That's not macabre.

Nothing in this thread thus far has even remotely bordered the macabre. There was only one mention of her death and no one went into details. As fans it is only natural for us to speculate on what directions Flo's career may have gone into prior to her death. While it's a little sad knowing that none of these things were realized, it's a testament to Florence's talent that we're even speculating about her finding success post 1976 at all. As a Flo fan I will not stop speculating on what might have been for one of my favorite singers of all time.

Yeah, no. I'm going to have to respectfully decline this offer. What we do with Flo's "what ifs" are no different than what we do with all the other Supremes, as a collective and as individuals, discussing all aspects of their careers, and that includes what might have been. We do it all the time for Diana Ross around here, so why not Florence? I can't imagine that in a John Lennon or Elvis group, using two more famous examples, that there aren't discussions about what might have been had they lived. I know for a fact that there are discussions about what might have been had Abraham Lincoln and John Kennedy lived. That's not macabre.

Nothing in this thread thus far has even remotely bordered the macabre. There was only one mention of her death and no one went into details. As fans it is only natural for us to speculate on what directions Flo's career may have gone into prior to her death. While it's a little sad knowing that none of these things were realized, it's a testament to Florence's talent that we're even speculating about her finding success post 1976 at all. As a Flo fan I will not stop speculating on what might have been for one of my favorite singers of all time.
    Please by all means continue. Im a big Florence fan and a big Cindy fan. I think DMC were the best grouping ever in terms of glamor and poise but thats just my humble opinion. I also love Scherrie and my favorite is Diana but I really love Flo and Mary as well. I personally hope Florence and Mary are together again.

If we don’t talk “what if’s”, we are reaching the stage of not much to talk about - because most of the participants are either gone or relatively inactive

The only issue I have about “what if’s” is it’s just a meaningless free for all and it seems to me they are not always based on reliable information, ignoring direct comments from people that were there, in favour of trashy authors like Bego or better authors that changed their minds or just plain wild speculation based on wishful thinking

The bottom line is there were very few hits after 1972 by a whole host of Motown people and nothing can change that
    Last edited by jobeterob; 04-01-2024 at 11:05 PM.

Speak freely, my friends