[REMOVE ADS]

Recording Members / Touring Members

Is it POSSIBLE that Flo could have stayed with the Supremes as a recording member, and Cindy could have joined as a touring member?

It seems the majority of Flo's "issues" were on the "road". The concept of recording/touring members isn't completely foreign to Motown; Claudette from the Miracles and Georgeanna of the Marvelettes are two examples of group members that were strictly recording, not touring.

I don’t remember hearing that georgeanna just recorded and not toured. Claudette was different. She was trying to have babies. In the case of Flo it would not have worked seeing she was already missing recording sessions even before she became a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Is it POSSIBLE that Flo could have stayed with the Supremes as a recording member, and Cindy could have joined as a touring member?

It seems the majority of Flo's "issues" were on the "road". The concept of recording/touring members isn't completely foreign to Motown; Claudette from the Miracles and Georgeanna of the Marvelettes are two examples of group members that were strictly recording, not touring.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I don’t remember hearing that georgeanna just recorded and not toured. Claudette was different. She was trying to have babies. In the case of Flo it would not have worked seeing she was already missing recording sessions even before she became a huge problem.
    I believe Georgeanna was dealing with lupus?

I've always wondered about this too, Mary. Keep Flo for the recording and TV appearances and the really big important concerts but have Cindy do most of the touring.

Georgeanna stopped touring in 1964 but continued recording through 1965 I believe.

y'all seemed to have taken motown's press release of "flo has retired from The Supremes due to the group's hectic schedule" at face value lol.

what seems to have actually happened was a completed disintegration of the working relationship between Flo and the rest. some of this was brought on by Flo, some by diana, some by berry. but it got to the point where Flo was no longer able to function as a member of the group. that includes all components of it. She was not onboard with the idea that Diana would be the focal point of the group and eventually lifted from the act. so she was combative with people about decisions, she wasn't performing up to standards, drinking too much, missing events and rehearsals and recording sessions.

also the acts you mention had an itinerary that was a fraction of the supremes. especially the Marvelettes. the number of performances, interviews, appearances, etc they did had to be a tiny amount compared to the Sups. and same with the miracles. Plus smokey was berry's closest friend and so there was never going to be any disagreement there.

"y'all seemed to have taken motown's press release of "flo has retired from The Supremes due to the group's hectic schedule" at face value lol."

No harm, no foul. Just trying to look at something from a different angle. Lest we talk about the shove heard around the world for the bazillionth time, LOL.

So sorry you didn't enjoy this thread, sup.

"y'all seemed to have taken motown's press release of "flo has retired from The Supremes due to the group's hectic schedule" at face value lol."

No harm, no foul. Just trying to look at something from a different angle. Lest we talk about the shove heard around the world for the bazillionth time, LOL.

Diane and Berry and Mary gave Flo the final shove

But no - as Mary and Diana said - there was nothing else that could be done

Starting with I’ll keep on Holding on it was just the 3 of them

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I've always wondered about this too, Mary. Keep Flo for the recording and TV appearances and the really big important concerts but have Cindy do most of the touring.

Georgeanna stopped touring in 1964 but continued recording through 1965 I believe.

oh no - i wasn't implying we shouldn't discuss this. or that this is an irrelevant point. just trying to be cute in my intro